F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Don't ever use AAMI or smart repair
Studio RSR

04-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
JOHN328
Feeling horny
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

Don't ever use AAMI or smart repair

A cyclist recent hit my car and I've claimed my insurance which is AAMI to repair and repaint the hood.
First time taken my car back from capital smart repairs the colour of the hood was Mis matching.
I've rang AAMI and took my car back in again for 2nd time, took the car back today and all they did was scrap the top colour off which caused the Mis matching and now my car has all kinds of visible scratches on the hood.
The assessor named Bradley ( from the murrumbeena centre) told me that BMW aw has no clear coat, I've challenged him on this one after I confirmed aw does has clear coat.
Btw, when I went to take my car back this morning, the battery was flat, Bradley said they forgot to turn off the interior light, no sign of feeling sorry.
I will ring AAMI again this weekend when I have sometime.
But people do urselves a favour, don't go with AAMI just to save some small money like I did and NEVER, I mean NEVER go to CAPITAL SMART.
Like their name, those guys are a bunch of SMART ASS.
      04-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Sorry to read about your repair issues with AAMI & the repair place. Take a look at GIO once you are clear of the repair. Problem is, AAMI uses their own cheap & nasty repairers.

Perhaps you may need to get some official BMW proof (letter) that the car does have a clear coat, rather than telling him. Can the assessor prove to you what he is claiming? What does the repairer say about the clear coat on your car?

See if you can take the car to Mr Gloss in Moorabbin if you are unhappy with the current repairer.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
JOHN328
Feeling horny
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

Thanks dav,
Once I'm done with all the rest of the shit I might go on with GIO.
Any recommendation of what I should done to make this in my favour?
Thanks mate
      04-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EB II

Aren't GIO, AAMI owned by the same group? At least they share the repair assessment centre in sydney
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktam32 View Post
Aren't GIO, AAMI owned by the same group? At least they share the repair assessment centre in sydney
^ this

Quote:
On 1 July 2001, Suncorp Group Limited acquired AMP's general insurance interests, including GIO. Now, GIO General Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Suncorp Group Limited, one of Australia's top 25 companies.

Suncorp is the parent company of insurance company GIO. GIO is mainly used as a general insurance company representing Suncorp outside Queensland, offering similar products to the Suncorp branded insurance product in Queensland.

Suncorp also owns the AAMI, Apia, Just Car Insurance, Shannons, InsureMyRide, Vero, Terri Scheer, Bingle, CIL, Asteron and Tyndall insurance brands in Australia, and Vero, Asteron, Guardian Trust, Tyndall, Vero Marine, Vero Liability, AA Insurance, SIS, CMV/AXIOM, Mariner, Comprehensive Travel Insurance and Autosure brands in New Zealand. These assets were acquired with the Promina Group in 2007.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

How did the repair go? Is it back home? Still there? Even with aami you can still pick your repairer. Are you in the eastern suburbs?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
makro
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry to hear it mate.

I used to be with AAMI for my previous car but changed to Allianz for the F30 based on inputs from a mate who works there...

Apparantley if you insist enough you can get choice of repairer but its a lot of hassel and they try anything they can to push you to their own repairer.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
Even with aami you can still pick your repairer.
You can with pretty much all of them, however, they will always go for the lowest quote and your choice of repairer is usually too high. Just ends up that way. Besides, some repairers won't even quote when they find out which insurance company you're with. Not worth it for them.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Depends on policy wording as to whether you get to pick the repairer or the insurer does.

You gets what you pays for.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #10
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Sorry to hear that, sucks when things dont turn out as expected..

Was wondering (wondering off from the central topic here), im with Suncorp, how do they handle hail damage?

Do they replace every panel? PDR it? replace the car?

Just wondering because there was a hail warning here yesterday, and I freaked out a little..
      04-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

hail damage is repairable. They will probably refer u to a hail repair centre. With hail damage, there is no paint damage and you just pay excess
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

OMG.. so for GIO u get repairer of your choice? I might change if they are that dodgy
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #13
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

AW has no clear coat? Do us all a favour and get that assessor out of the business. Lodge a complaint with your State Government Insurance omsbudsman.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #14
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

<insert faceplam.jpg>

AW definitely has clear coat....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
so for GIO u get repairer of your choice?
That's what I have.
http://www.gio.com.au/car-insurance/...-car-insurance

Last edited by David328M-Sport; 04-17-2013 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #16
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
+1 Thx Dav I'll get them to give me a quote
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
pmunger
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

If you read the PDS for the GIO insurance you will note that they will get a quote from your "Choice of Repairer", but may also get a quote from a repairer of their choosing and then they make the final decision.

Choice of repairer should be renamed to "Nominate a repairer for GIO to get a quote from that will be ignored if GIO preferred repairer will do it cheaper" - But I guess that is a bit of a mouthful!

I am currently arguing this with GIO with my badly damaged AUDI - I nominated an Audi approved repairer - they found a cheaper one and are trying to use them. I have contacted ACCC as I believe their advertising is Misleading.

Anyhow the good upshot of all this is that I purchased a 335i M Sport with lots of toys and I pick up tonight - Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #18
beemermans
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

How can they say there is no clear coat???? that is just ridiculous as nearly 100% of cars these days has a clear coat!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

I have had a completely opposite experience with AAMI.

My previous car which was an X1 was hit on the passenger side front wheel and the front door. I was driving through an intersection and this guy decided to not wait for a yellow light and just hook turned into my car as I was driving past.

My car was flat-bedded to an AAMI Assessment Centre and I specified where I wanted it to be repaired (an AAMI approved body shop that has a good rep with European cars). It was repaired there and then another shop did the engineering work replacing some suspension components. The 18 inch alloy rim and the runflat (which wasn't damaged at all to my eyes) were replaced.

The car came back perfect - I know because I got Southern BM to check it out for me.

I would imagine AAMI didn't care how much it cost as they were claiming from the other guy's insurance company.

Capital Smart is AAMI's sausage factory for minor body repairs. My Honda Jazz from a few years ago went there for a respray. No issue there either and it was done very quickly.

I think all insurance companies will deliver good and bad experiences.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
AW has no clear coat? Do us all a favour and get that assessor out of the business. Lodge a complaint with your State Government Insurance omsbudsman.
+1

Interested to hear how they solve the problem!

With insurance companies, you basically have to fight tooth and nail to get things to happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
hail damage is repairable. They will probably refer u to a hail repair centre. With hail damage, there is no paint damage and you just pay excess
Not always the case. Sometimes they will replace panels (cheaper option) and hence have to repaint.

Problem these days is it is a sausage factory. What happened to quality?!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmunger View Post
If you read the PDS for the GIO insurance you will note that they will get a quote from your "Choice of Repairer", but may also get a quote from a repairer of their choosing and then they make the final decision.

Choice of repairer should be renamed to "Nominate a repairer for GIO to get a quote from that will be ignored if GIO preferred repairer will do it cheaper" - But I guess that is a bit of a mouthful!

I am currently arguing this with GIO with my badly damaged AUDI - I nominated an Audi approved repairer - they found a cheaper one and are trying to use them. I have contacted ACCC as I believe their advertising is Misleading.

Anyhow the good upshot of all this is that I purchased a 335i M Sport with lots of toys and I pick up tonight - Can't wait.
Perhaps you should read the GIO PDS again. They DO offer choice of repairer, full stop. The condition you are referring to is if you get them to arrange the repairs for you. If your quote for repair is above what they deem to be reasonable they will pay you an amount. The final decision as to who reapirs your vehicle with GIO is always up to you.

Straight from the PDS:

If you allow us to arrange the repairs
› we will pay for your taxi fare home or back to work if you have driven your vehicle to one of
our assessment centres or repair facilities;
› we ordinarily obtain 2 competitive quotes from our recommended repairers (where available)
and select the most appropriate quote;
› we authorise the repairs based on the most appropriate quote and manage the repair
process with the repairer;
› we will keep you informed of the progress of the repairs and will advise you when your vehicle is ready for collection;
› once the repairs are complete we will pay for your taxi fare from your home or work to collect your vehicle.

If you choose your own repairer, which may include one of our recommended repairers:
› after you obtain a quote from your repairer, we will arrange a time with you to drive your vehicle (if it is safe to do so), or you must let us move it to one of our assessment centres or repair facilities, or another location nominated or agreed to by us;
› we will authorise the repairs if we agree your repairer’s quote is reasonable and will result in your vehicle being repaired safely and in a cost effective manner.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0