F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lease Mileage Question
Studio RSR

09-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
jihong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Lease Mileage Question

Hey fellow leasee's? Leasors? Leasers?

Coming towards the end of my lease, and I've already used more than my allotted miles. Is there any benefit to purchasing extra miles before my lease end or will I pay the same rate for the number of miles I've gone over my allowed miles?

I'm sure I could find this on my lease agreement (if I could find it) or just ask my local BMW, but figured this would be faster on a Saturday evening since I always forget during normal BMW business hours. Anyone have insight?

Also, has anyone extended there lease before? Do I have to redo another down payment or pay any extra fees? Or will the dealer just tag on a few months or a year with extra miles?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihong View Post

Coming towards the end of my lease, and I've already used more than my allotted miles. Is there any benefit to purchasing extra miles before my lease end or will I pay the same rate for the number of miles I've gone over my allowed miles?

I'm sure I could find this on my lease agreement (if I could find it) or just ask my local BMW, but figured this would be faster on a Saturday evening since I always forget during normal BMW business hours. Anyone have insight?

Also, has anyone extended there lease before? Do I have to redo another down payment or pay any extra fees? Or will the dealer just tag on a few months or a year with extra miles?

Thanks!
First thing, remember that your lease is with BMW Financial Services, not the BMW dealer you bought the car from. BMWFS is the entity you would need to call and be dealing with. For the excess miles, log into your account or call BMWFS and you can buy however extra mile you need at a discounted rate (.18/mi when I did it back in Jan '17). I have not had to extend a lease before but I do not imagine that there is any additional money down. Again, that would be a call to BMWFS to determine the acceptable reasons, costs, and allowed terms.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 10:08 PM   #3
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

From what I heard from my buddy who leased his BMW, if you do not purchase the exceeded miles they charge a bit more per mile used. But depending on where you are and the dealer/BMWFS it might be different. Best to call them to confirm.
      10-01-2017, 01:54 AM   #4
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:

Thanks!
All the info you are looking for around mileage is on the website. Almost always cheaper to buy ahead of time.... but there is an expiration date... i.e. You can't buy the extra miles a week before you turn the car in.

As far as lease extensions.... there are some circumstances they will for example if you have a car on order they will go up to 6 months.

As noted above your dealer has nothing to do with this, put a call in to BMWfs. The only leverage a dealer has in leasing is a more advantageous buyout price from BMWfs than you would get.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
Only purchase extra miles if you’re keeping the car to the lease end date, and plan to walk away. If you’re considering another lease or purchase of a BMW (new or CPO), there may be a pull ahead program available. Start looking for this at least 3 months before your lease expires. Depending on the car, and how far over your mileage is, they may forgive your last 3 payments.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
bmwm617
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 7 Series M760i

I agree with them here, much better to call BMW and ask for detailed information. Hope you can catch the extension of your lease deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:

Thanks!
1st- if you are leasing another BMW you need to speak about this with your sales person, he/she can guide you as to what you need to do before you return your car. I was on a similar situation and my sales person told me not to worry, and the dealer waved the excess miles I had.
Do worry about tires if your run flats are bellow the allowed wear of the thread.
2nd- if you are not getting another BMW then BMWFS will charge you for the miles when you return the car, it?s better to buy miles before you return it, but that is up to you.
If you want to extend the lease BMWFS must approve it, i was told by my friend who is also my sales person that usually a lease extension is ok'd mainly if you are waiting for a new BMW Car to arrive and take delivery.
On my previous car I almost had to extend my lease because my new GC was delayed at the port.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by beto_L.A.; 10-02-2017 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0