F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Svc Dept Damage
ARMA SPEED

12-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 153Z 335xi

Svc Dept Damage

Greetings all. I'm looking for some opinions/input. Sorry...this is going to be slightly long.

On Nov 4th this year, I took my 335XI into the dealer complaining of a whirring noise. They found the problem to be the rear diff and replaced it. They also offered (for a fee of course) to fix the minor curb rash on the FT RT rim.

I get the car back..whirring noise fixed...far as we can tell. Road rash'd rim...looks great...except they clear coated the brake dust and road debris on the interior barrel. I clean the interior barrels of the wheels when I wash the car...so this really bothered me. 3 wheels looks show room clean...but the repaired one looks dirty. They also left a dime sized door ding in the passenger door...down to the metal. Finally...there's some sort of "grit" all over the car that can't be washed off. Wipers sound like they're on sand paper...and there's some milky white spots on part of the hood and all over the front bumper. I speculate the rim repair person got some overspray all over the car and dripped on the front.

BMW agrees to correct everything. They are going to get the rim guy to strip, respray and clear the barrel of the wheel. Then...they are going to get the paint corrected...cut and buff. Finally, they are going to fix the door ding.

I get the car back...Door ding looks great...can't tell it was ever there. I'm irritated that the repair paperwork stated the ding was "filled"...not happy about that at all. Paint feels slick as snot...just like it was before they got their hands on it in the first place. There is probably buffing compound residual left in many of the cracks and crevices. Not happy...sloppy work...but whatever right? if that's all there was...I'd just get over it and remove it myself. HOWEVER...There's a cloudy mark approx 1.5" left on the hood...and a few smaller marks near it. They look white. There are chips in my windshield...when it was noted there were none when I dropped it off. The interior door handle...of the door that had the ding...is now cracked and chipped. The wheel barrel was not corrected. There are now marks all over the interior barrel that look like the person trying to fix this did not strip, respray and clear...but instead tried to sand...and left it at that. The dirt and grime still remain. Finally...there's a heavy smell of acetone inside the car that, thus far, isn't dissipating. It's giving my wife headaches.

I'll take it back ...again... However, I have lost all confidence in this Svc dept...I bring it in for one thing...and it comes back with more than double the issues.

What would you all recommend? I'm not too keen on letting them give it a go again...but don't know what choice I have. My fear is that they'll just give it back to the incompetent folks that did the damage and substandard work in the first place...only to cause more issues.

I'd like to escalate this. I'm extremely disappointed.

Thanks for your time folks.

Ken

Last edited by DitDah; 12-04-2017 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: additional comment
Appreciate 1
zamboni1129.00
      12-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

After that last BS attempt by them, I'd run far and fast to find another dealer. That's completely unacceptable and although they "probably" would get it right the third time, why chance it? I would also (just me) call BMW NA and bitch about it since they're literally screwing up your car!

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah... I hear that. Problem is...the next dealer is over twice as far. What a mess.

At this point...if asked... the only thing that could make this right is a new rim to replace the existing debacle (replacing all 4 would go far with me...as the repaired one does look “newer/fresher), complete panel replacement for the door ding repair, new interior handle, a new windshield...and a factory spec (or better) full body paint job...period. I’m not holding my breath. I’ll def get the sac manager involved...and will attemp to get a hold of BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Service depts vary (as we all know). I took one of my BMWS in for some issues to where I bought it...none of which they bothered to fix yet try to sell me tires. I took it to another dealer and although they couldn't fix 2 items that fall out of warranty, they DID fix a coolant issue that fell under the CPO warranty (soon to expire) and performed an oil change under my also soon to expire maintenance contract, as the miles left were within reason to do so. As for the tires, they told me that there is still life left but it could use an alignment. They also changed out the wipers. Huge difference between the 2 locations; one could not give a spit and the other tries to maintain his client base.

Oh..and don't go by the i-Drives 'miles until' figures. The Dealers can reset them on their own.

OP..good luck on getting the issues corrected to your satisfaction. Harder when the distance between dealers is a bit much. Luckily here, they're not far apart.
      12-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
OMG what a nightmare. What dealership was this?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

This was out of BMW NW in Washington State. Of course...they are quick to advise me that this as not them...they outsourced the door ding and wheel restoration. I don't care who it was "outsourced to"...BMW is who I went to and are fully accountable...period.

Thus far today...my service rep says he's informed "Management" and are waiting for some sort of reply/resolution. Meanwhile, I have put together what I feel would be acceptable resolutions. Considering what has transpired...I think these to be completely within the realm of possibility and more than reasonable...obviously...we'll see what reality brings.

Going Forward:
1. Request new rim replacement for RT FT wheel. No confidence in the workmanship and repeated attempts to correct.
2. Request new door handle interior FT passenger side.
3. Request interior door panel be reseated and ensure proper operation of the window.
4. Request new front grills - White milky spots are still on both grills...obviously they have't tried to correct that or can't.
5. Request new windshield...I'm not willing to take a repair on that. It was chinless and perfect when I turned it in.
6. Request paint correction to hood of car. Rest of the ENTIRE care MUST be protected / masked off.
a. If results are not satisfactory to the customer upon return…request entire car be repainted (base and clear) per BMW specifications and standards.
7. Request all works (workmanship and materials) be warranted for the life of the vehicle for the original owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

Here's my writeup of the experience so far...I'll be handing this to the Svc Manager and higher up if anything isn't to my satisfaction going forward.

4Nov17
• Brought car in for whirring noise.
• BMW offered/suggested to get the FT Passenger wheel curb rash fixed while they had it for svc.

11nov17
• Car returned to customer.
• Rear differential discovered to be causing the noise.
o Replaced by BMW NW Svc Center
o No further noise heard at this time.
• Road Rash fixed on FT Passenger wheel.
• Upon arriving home, discovered FT Passenger door had a significant door ding…down to the metal… approx. dime size or smaller. Confirmed that pre inspection did not indicate any door damage.
• BMW NW Svc Center advised.

12nov17
• Car washed.
• Confirmed door ding / FT Passenger center.
• Overspray of some sort covering entire car including windows… does NOT wash off. Wipers sound like they are on sand paper.
• Front hood and bumper of car have large milky white spots that don’t wash off
• Barrel of FT RT wheel does not wash clean. Repair of road rash has resulted in road debris and brake dust being clear coated onto rim.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14nov17
• Car returned to BMW NW Svc Center for resolution.
o Strip, re-spray and clear FT Passenger wheel…inner barrel.
o Paint correction / Cut and Buff…include all windows.
o Repair door ding

2dec17
• Car returned to customer …advised to wash and inspect and advise.

3dec17
• Car washed

CURRENT ISSUES:
• FT Passenger Wheel
o FT RT Wheel barrel was not corrected. Wheel was NOT “stripped” resprayed and cleared…Barrel still has clear-coated brake dust and road debris. Sanding marks are present all over the barrel interior.
• Paint correction…residue/overspray is removed…
o New blemishes on hood.
o Strange etchings found on hood and roof.
o NOTED compound left in door jams and other cracks.
• Door ding is fixed …
o Ryan is confirming “warranty” on this work.

NEW ISSUES:
• White milky spots on front of car were “mostly” removed.
o Spots remain on both front grills.
• Windshield
o New chips found on driver side center. Not present when turned in for Svc.
• Interior Smell
o Heavy smell of nail polish remover (acetone?)…Smell remains after 24 hours with windows down for ventilation.
o Wife is getting headaches from the odor.
• FT Passenger Window
o Window shows streaking and makes noise when operated.
• Interior door handle of FT passenger side is damaged. Wood molding is cracked and chipped.

Going Forward:
1. Request new rim replacement for RT FT wheel. No confidence in the workmanship.
3. Request interior door panel be reseated and ensure proper operation of the window.
4. Request new front grills.
5. Request new windshield.
6. Request paint correction to hood of car. Rest of the ENTIRE care MUST be protected / masked off.
a. If results are not satisfactory to the customer upon return…request entire car be repainted (base and clear) per BMW specifications and standards.
7. Request all works (workmanship and materials) be warranted for the life of the vehicle for the original owner.

Customer Relations Suggestions:
• Suggest the following to repair the complete loss of confidence the customer has in the BMW Svc Center. The level of stress and anxiety caused by the recent service experience has damaged the customers trust and confidence in the competence of the BMW Svc Center.
o Extend current vehicle warranty in entirety for 4 additional years beyond existing warranty.
o Provide gas vouchers for one year.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
Rob340i
Sergeant First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitDah View Post
Here's my writeup of the experience so far...I'll be handing this to the Svc Manager and higher up if anything isn't to my satisfaction going forward.

4Nov17
• Brought car in for whirring noise.
• BMW offered/suggested to get the FT Passenger wheel curb rash fixed while they had it for svc.

11nov17
• Car returned to customer.
• Rear differential discovered to be causing the noise.
o Replaced by BMW NW Svc Center
o No further noise heard at this time.
• Road Rash fixed on FT Passenger wheel.
• Upon arriving home, discovered FT Passenger door had a significant door ding…down to the metal… approx. dime size or smaller. Confirmed that pre inspection did not indicate any door damage.

12nov17
• Car washed.
• Confirmed door ding / FT Passenger center.
• Overspray of some sort covering entire car including windows… does NOT wash off. Wipers sound like they are on sand paper.
• Front hood and bumper of car have large milky white spots that don’t wash off
• Barrel of FT RT wheel does not wash clean. Repair of road rash has resulted in road debris and brake dust being clear coated onto rim.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14nov17
• Car returned to BMW NW Svc Center for resolution.
o Strip, re-spray and clear FT Passenger wheel…inner barrel.
o Paint correction / Cut and Buff…include all windows.
o Repair door ding

2dec17
• Car returned to customer …advised to wash and inspect and advise.

3dec17
• Car washed

CURRENT ISSUES:
• FT Passenger Wheel
o FT RT Wheel barrel was not corrected. Wheel was NOT “stripped” resprayed and cleared…Barrel still has clear-coated brake dust and road debris. Sanding marks are present all over the barrel interior.
• Paint correction…residue/overspray is removed…
o New blemishes on hood.
o Strange etchings found on hood and roof.
o NOTED compound left in door jams and other cracks.
• Door ding is fixed …
o Ryan is confirming “warranty” on this work.

NEW ISSUES:
• White milky spots on front of car were “mostly” removed.
o Spots remain on both front grills.
• Windshield
o New chips found on driver side center. Not present when turned in for Svc.
• Interior Smell
o Heavy smell of nail polish remover (acetone?)…Smell remains after 24 hours with windows down for ventilation.
o Wife is getting headaches from the odor.
• FT Passenger Window
o Window shows streaking and makes noise when operated.
• Interior door handle of FT passenger side is damaged. Wood molding is cracked and chipped.

Going Forward:
1. Request new rim replacement for RT FT wheel. No confidence in the workmanship.
4. Request new front grills.
5. Request new windshield.

Customer Relations Suggestions:
• Suggest the following to repair the complete loss of confidence the customer has in the BMW Svc Center. The level of stress and anxiety caused by the recent service experience has damaged the customers trust and confidence in the competence of the BMW Svc Center.
o Extend current vehicle warranty in entirety for 4 additional years beyond existing warranty.
o Provide gas vouchers for one year.
Great write up! But....i would be surprized if they compensate you in any way that you recommend to restore your trust and confidence in them! Sounds completely reasonable to me, however the only thing you will see is multiple attempts to get it right until you are satisfied, or give up on the process. They are going to go for the second of the two options! Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #9
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

Yup...I expect the same. Just a suggestion...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

They may give you a $100 gift card as "a local dealer" had done this with me a few years back....worth a shot but one year in gas is just an "awesome" suggestion let alone the free 4 year warranty

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 12:17 AM   #11
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

I take it back to the dealer in the morning. Of course, they didn't mention a thing about agreeing to anything at this point...only advised me to bring it in and they have a loaner "with my name on it"... I'll argue my case for the replacement of parts. We'll see how far I get.
Appreciate 2
eluded3032.00
jeffc83725.00
      12-06-2017, 12:55 AM   #12
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Based on my personal experience and observations here, this appears to be normal.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      12-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I take it back to the dealer in the morning. Of course, they didn't mention a thing about agreeing to anything at this point...only advised me to bring it in and they have a loaner "with my name on it"... I'll argue my case for the replacement of parts. We'll see how far I get.
What they said right there would scare the shit out of me....they're being smart asses now. (least what it sounds like here lol) Least they can't spit in your burger or drink....wait, they can spit in the complimentary drink, scratch that

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #14
That340i
Im real pressed.
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i X-Drive

My 340 went in on 11-13-17 for a module that needed replacement and was causing multiple issue's. Got it back on 11-24-17 so they had the car for a while and it came back with curb rash on the rear driver wheel and a dent in the roof near the sunroof. Refused to take it home on the 24th and told them to keep it and call me when it's repaired. So they called me 4 day's later and told me my car was repaired and ready for me to pick up. Got there still did not leave with the car since the "repair's" were not any better. So finally they called me back on the 4th of this month telling me once again that my car was "fixed" and guess what they "fixed" the dent in the roof but still didn't repair the wheel telling me "We will call you when we get your new wheel". So all in all Im pretty happy with the service that they give me. And the fact that im getting a brand new wheel! And I didn't ask for a new one just asked them to repair it! Only thing I didn't like is the fact that they gave me the car back absolutely filthy but I fixed that by taking it to my local detailing shop. Hopefully everything works out for you!!
      12-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #15
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

Well...I just had to tell them to stop all work on my car. I made it clear that I wanted a clear path forward on how each and everyone of the issues is going to be handled...with strong emphasis on my requests. As of today...I've heard nothing back other than "...it's at the body shop...lets see how it comes out..."

Ahh....no.

I was also told my writeup and request would be addressed by Management...that was two days ago. Today I asked what management input was...I was told to be patient as they just gave them the list.

Incredible.

I think it's time to involve a higher authority.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #16
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well...I just had to tell them to stop all work on my car. I made it clear that I wanted a clear path forward on how each and everyone of the issues is going to be handled...with strong emphasis on my requests. As of today...I've heard nothing back other than "...it's at the body shop...lets see how it comes out..."

Ahh....no.

I was also told my writeup and request would be addressed by Management...that was two days ago. Today I asked what management input was...I was told to be patient as they just gave them the list.

Incredible.

I think it's time to involve a higher authority.
I'm no genius (far far from it) but I knew they were jerking you around and just being smart asses with that loaner comment let alone how they are handling it. Those a-holes really must think you'd rather drive their loaner with a comment like that, which is sad. BMWNA it is.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #17
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah...damn shame really. I expected better...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #18
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

ok...latest and greatest. They agree to replace the kidney grills, windshield, and door handle. I'm happy with that.

They aren't going to replace the wheel ...they are going to attempt to strip, respray and clear it. I'm actually OK with this as long as they don't screw something else up in the process...like they did the last two times.

They don't agree with the warranty on the door ding. I'm going to fight that...I shouldn't have to put up with a minimal warranty on a fix for damage they caused. If they can't provide me with a lifetime warranty (as long as I own the car)...then I'm going to demand they replace the door.

Question...how much should I worry about the "fill" on the door ding shrinking or failing somehow? I've seen bad fill jobs before...and I shouldn't have to put up with that. Too bad they had to fill that teeny tiny spot...there must be the smallest amount of fill...but I wasn't there to see the fix...so no telling what was done.

Last edited by DitDah; 12-08-2017 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #19
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

I got a call that my car is ready...for the 3rd time since 4Nov17. I'm getting ready to head there now but wanted to ask you all here something which "google" doesn't turn up a conclusive answer to...that I could find at least.

Svc rep states they can't get the hood to 100% ...due to the "ceramic clear coat". This is the first time I've heard I have a ceramic clear coat. I wonder how they repaired the ding on the door and repainted that? Anyone have any insight on if our cars have this type of clear coat and how hard is it to deal with?

Only other thing he brings up...seems they can't get the wheel as it was before on the inner barrel...I'll have to take a look at it...but if it's got ANY dirt/debris cleared in so I can't wash it off...I'm not accepting it.

Windshield replaced.
Kidney grills replaced
Door handle molding replaced / door panel reseated / all electrics on door verified / window operation verified

Will update after I pick it up...but please someone comment factually on the clear coat please. Sounds like BS to me...

Last edited by DitDah; 12-16-2017 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: additional comment.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

I couldn't make this stuff up...

16dec17
• Advised that car is ready.
o Windshield REPLACED
o Kidney grills REPLACED
o FT Passenger door interior handle wood molding REPLACED
o Hood paint CORRECTED.
• Paint is chipped. Detail shop states they cannot correct due to BMW having a ceramic clear coat.
o FT RT wheel barrel not corrected. Still shows cleared in brake dust and debris.
• Rim specialist states they cannot correct the barrel.

I previously requested BMW not use the same “subs” for the paint correction and rim correction (due to loss of confidence and competence in workmanship)…they still sent the car back to the same subs.
o I reminded the Svc Rep and made my point again…validating my request.

GOING FORWARD:
• I have advised / requested the following from the BMW Svc Rep
o The wheel correction is NOT accepted.
• Request new wheel replacement immediately.
o The hood correction is NOT accepted.
• Chips must be repaired/removed…whatever it takes.
o The door ding repair is now in question.
• I request the Svc Rep to verify and advise on what type of clear coat was used for the repair. If anything other than the stated ceramic clear coat was used…the repair is unacceptable and must be redone.

I wish this was all done. I'm getting tired of this. When I return my car this time...it will be the 4th time since 4nov17. All this due to incompetent "subs".
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #21
azuritschwarz
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW 440i Coupe  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I couldn't make this stuff up...

16dec17
• Advised that car is ready.
o Windshield REPLACED
o Kidney grills REPLACED
o FT Passenger door interior handle wood molding REPLACED
o Hood paint CORRECTED.
• Paint is chipped. Detail shop states they cannot correct due to BMW having a ceramic clear coat.
o FT RT wheel barrel not corrected. Still shows cleared in brake dust and debris.
• Rim specialist states they cannot correct the barrel.

I previously requested BMW not use the same “subs” for the paint correction and rim correction (due to loss of confidence and competence in workmanship)…they still sent the car back to the same subs.
o I reminded the Svc Rep and made my point again…validating my request.

GOING FORWARD:
• I have advised / requested the following from the BMW Svc Rep
o The wheel correction is NOT accepted.
• Request new wheel replacement immediately.
o The hood correction is NOT accepted.
• Chips must be repaired/removed…whatever it takes.
o The door ding repair is now in question.
• I request the Svc Rep to verify and advise on what type of clear coat was used for the repair. If anything other than the stated ceramic clear coat was used…the repair is unacceptable and must be redone.

I wish this was all done. I'm getting tired of this. When I return my car this time...it will be the 4th time since 4nov17. All this due to incompetent "subs".
wow.... really feel bad for you man. honestly. the lack of work ethic & professionalism they're displaying is simply incredible.

regarding the ceramic clear coat, i got it done to my car at a local detailing shop. it creates a hydrophobic effect on the paint so water runs off very easily, & is a lot easier to clean. costed ~$1600 for the whole car

i have not heard of BMW's coming from the factory with this. if you haven't gotten this done to your car yourself, i definitely think they're lying to you....

best of luck in the future
2006 E90 330i 6MT Arctic Metallic/Lemon White Leather (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #22
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

Nope...I've never had that done on my own. Car was ordered from Germany and the paint is as delivered...factory spec.

I don't think it has this "ceramic clear coat" either...but I'm putting it on them. Someone is BS'ing someone. I think the detail shop is BS'ing BMW...and I'm surprised the Svc Rep isn't aware of it.
Appreciate 0