E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Need Help with turn signals! PLEASE!

07-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i

Need Help with turn signals! PLEASE!

I have an E90 330i i bought recently. Fields BMW is unsure of how to fix my problem.

When I use the turn signal, it does not make any sort of audible tone (faint clicking bimmers usually have). Im talking about the noise that is made when the signal flashes....
Also, I just am not sure, but to E90's make any sort of noise when you get in the car and put the key in...it seems weird to me that everything is silent really...no tones for open doors, keys left in the ignition, anything.

I know that since 2006 was the first year of E90 they did not offer some options as to change settings such as when i lock my doors the mirrors dont fold in (id like them to) but the dealer said my car doesnt have the option, I cant believe the car would have no sort of audible tones..

My bimmer wants to habla. haha.

Thanks for any help or clarity.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

i learned this from a bmw dvd that came with my E90.

the turn signals are actually a tiny speaker in the dash, because there's no mechanism to make any clicking sound, so maybe that little speaker is shot.

as far as your normal noises, maybe check your iDrive under sounds or general car settings for "gong" volume, but i'm pretty sure that can't be overridden, so there's maybe a fuse or something blown.

worst case whoever the previous owner was, messed with the computer to turn the gong off and now not even the dealer can bring them back.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
UrTools
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Did you have the oem alarm on your car? if not then i don't think it will make the chirp sound when opening or closing the doors. if your talking about the warning sound when inside the car then i guess get a software update from your dealer or compare it to other cars with the same year and model as your car.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No i dont have the oem alarm so i know it wont chirp when locking. it has to be a blown fuse then I guess. Ill have the dealer check it out its still under warranty. Its just strange I have heard it click a few times since i got it when the signals are on, Ill watch the dvd that came with my car..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
AMP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E34, E39, & E60 M5; E92 M3

Dumb question time...

Does your radio work?

Do you have nav?

In nav cars the gong (key in ignition noise) is played through the audio system and is routed through the MOST bus (optical fiber connection used for audio and entertainment systems). If the bus is broken then no gong (and no sound at all). A common issue is not re-installing the terminating plug at the MOST diagnostic port.

In non-nav cars I'm honestly not sure if the gong is routed with the rest of the audio signals or if it has a separate speaker under the dash.

Either way your dealer should be able to sort it out easily.
'08 M6 Coupe Stratus/Black
'03 M5 Sedan Imola Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

The previous owner probably disabled it. My dad used to have me track down the noise makers and unplug them in his cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

the radio works perfect and i do not have nav..i will have the dealer take a better look at it, but it was frustrating because the first thing they told me is they "did not know if it even was supposed to make a noise"...
fools..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

so...an update.

i get in my car this morning..and some sort of magic (or the clay bar/waxing i did yesterday for 6 hours)...the turn signals click and the car beeps when a door is ajar!
YAY
3 hours later....no more sounds. lol. super.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

If your car has Nav I believe you are able to adjust these "tones" as they are called in the menu. Which Fields did you take it to for service?
      12-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #10
bin01123
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 750i

Garage List
2011 BMW 750i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzM4 View Post
If your car has Nav I believe you are able to adjust these "tones" as they are called in the menu. Which Fields did you take it to for service?
Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? The sound on for my seatbelt is audible but I don't hear anything for my turn signals now. Does anyone know what needs to be done in order to get the sound back?