F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Bootlid Tail Light Malfunction
Studio RSR

08-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
DNN_F30
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M-Sport (EB)

F30 Bootlid Tail Light Malfunction

As soon as I got home with my brand new 335 M-sport two weeks ago, I noticed the tail light attached to the boot lid was sticking out a bit. Took it to the dealer earlier this week and it turns out this is an installation issue for many new F30's (12 & 13) and there is a service bulletin being written about the issue. The service manager explained that they could fix it there without having to order any parts, but after the tech's further inspection, they had to order a whole new light housing which is what is attached to the trunk. I will take pictures before its fixed in case anyone else has this problem later on down the road. Cheers.
      08-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Oy, pics would be nice.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

yea, take a pic so i can see what your talking about and if i have it on my current car or what to look for on my msport coming
      08-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
DNN_F30
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Dropped the car off at the dealer Friday about an hour before close. They replaced the tail light with a new housing and all looked fine. Well fifteen minutes into my drive, the chime came on indicating a brake system malfunction, i also noticed i wasnt able to set my cruise control, related? I realized after some close observation that my tail lights were on constantly (prob why I couldn't set cruise control). Safety issue for sure! So took the car in today during lunch. My service advisor said he'd have his lead tech look at it tomorrow because up to now no one has been able to figure out why these lights are always on. Just wanted to give you guys an update.
      08-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Oh god I hope this is not the start of bigger issues with these later built F30's. Mine arrives in Nov.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
joey8781
Joe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sedan

I also have the issue (inner tail light assembly popping off) on my 2012 335i. My vehicle was built week 26, plant code F. In my case, it's the left boot lid tail light. I'd take a picture, but I'm 7k miles away from my baby at the moment. The dealer was able to reinstall it (I'm sure it was fixed with a swift punch to the light) however, it popped back off about 2 hours later. They have ordered a new assembly with a 2 week lead time. It's easy to see how this could escape their assembly process, since it is temporarily repairable. At least we're not alone!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
grantareid
Rep
Drives: 2010 550 GT, 2013 335 M-Sport

I had the same issue when picking up my Msport at the Welt, they took the car around back and fixed it in 5 mins. Seems like a common error.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Maybe the tail light install guy is a little disgruntled ???
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
DNN_F30
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk280 View Post
Maybe the tail light install guy is a little disgruntled ???
^
      08-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
DNN_F30
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Turns out my brake light issues were totally unrelated so let me explain in an unfortunate series of events.
1. 08/06 - Took delivery of the car, realized tail light was loose/broken, but tail lights still seemed to work. I was having too much fun driving the beauty, so I let the whole next week pass without mentioning it.
2. 08/19 - Ordered a V1 Radar Detector
3. 08/20 - Took car in to have it looked at, they said they'd have to order a whole new tail light housing to fix it. (This is the issue BMW is writing a bulletin about).
4. 08/22 - Received my V1 and in a rage of excitement, attempted to install myself into the MAP light wiring area (like the E90's) which led me to short the moonroof fuse (stupid me).
5. 08/23 - Took V1 to get installed at a pro stereo place here in town. The tech ran the wire down through to the drivers side hidden behind foot well casing and to the front fuse box located on the right hand side of the car into a 5 amp fuse which only turned on when the ignition was started. Tech also replaced 30 amp moonroof fuse and it worked like a charm. On my drive home, the brake system warning came on which I THOUGHT was related to the first issue, but it was not (read further).
6. 08/24 - Tail light housing came in. Took to dealer around 5:30 PM, left at around 6:30, and i thought my problems were solved. Driving home, same brake system warning came on.
7. 08/27 - Took my car back to BMW, left it. The following day my service adviser, calls me to tell me that the person who installed my V1 disconnected the foot brake switch (in driver's side foot well) which activates the brake light. If the foot brake switch is not properly connected, the brake lights stay on constantly, and the error "Brake System: Please drive moderately. Apply additional braking as necessary" comes on. Another indicator is that the cruise control will not come on. He told me that the normal charge for this fix was $130 bucks (1 hour of work), but he would waive the charge seeing how I just bought my car, and I already had a problem caused by BMW.

Anyway, long story short, no one is perfect. Not BMW, not the stereo tech (who forgot to reconnect the foot brake switch), and certainly not me. I hope if nothing else, that this helps someone in the future from having the same headache I've had. Going to pick my baby up in a couple of hours. Cheers everyone, and thanks for reading.
      08-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
ckbumu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

I have the same problem. I noticed it tonight and first thought that it was something caused by a car wash. I tried to secure the light into her house first, but I figured that there is something else going on.

Mine is the right one and top-right corner is sticking out. Actually, it is really lose and it looks like only the left edge near the licence place is holding it. So, I had to use a tape. Yes, I know it is a really retarded approach given that the car is only 3 weeks old. Oh well, I am honestly really annoyed: This is will be my second service visit after I received the car. The first one was Auto Stop/Start issue related to not recognizing driver's preference.

I feel like I should have waited longer before I got this car. In the mean time, the car would be more tested and the production would reach to a more stable condition. Looks like first generation customers are the ones who are testing the product in real life for BMW.

Well, hopefully the service could quickly realize that it is a production defect and do not band aid it by an ad hoc solution. We will see...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Oh crap.. i just tooik delivery of my M sport Friday and noticed my drivers tail light was loose..i popped it back in but a day later and only 60 miles it really loose now.

Someone in the factory or parts has screwed up something..

Guess ill drop it off and have them disable the start stop while there.
      09-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
ckbumu
Registered
Rep

I went to the service this morning and they told me both light housings were not installed correctly at the factory. They told me that they re-installed them correctly to fix the issue. I hope that is really the case and nothing something related to a manufacturing defect on housings. We will see... Wishing the best and good luck to all other fellows who suffer from the same issue like I did.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #14
mr30_328
Rep
Drives: 328i ordered

I had the same issue. 328i manufactured in feb. this year. I think the problem is that the boot is so "tight" that you have to slam it in order for it to shut properly, with the result that the housing brakes. They ordered a new one, fitted it, and re-adjusted the boot. Now everything is fine. For now.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
ckbumu
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr30_328 View Post
I had the same issue. 328i manufactured in feb. this year. I think the problem is that the boot is so "tight" that you have to slam it in order for it to shut properly, with the result that the housing brakes. They ordered a new one, fitted it, and re-adjusted the boot. Now everything is fine. For now.
Thanks for your sharing your experience. Yeah, it is quite possible. My trunk is though, too. I am grabbing the lid from the inside first, then close it.

Did they show you the broken housing? Well, they told me that the housings are not installed properly at the factory, but honestly I have doubts about that. I would try the factory more than a service. I wondering if they fixed my permanently or they thought they fixed it.

I check the passenger side light today on the boot and noticed that there is little gap between the top right corner of the light and boot body. I noticed the same thing for the boot light on the driver side as well. However, there is no gap between the rubber seal surrounding light (the one covering the edge of the light: I cannot see any rubber sealer visible covering the exterior top corners that are adjacent to the main tail light) and the body (same for both lights). So, I am not really sure if lights are mounted properly or not. That would be really nice if we can compare. Any feedback/help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
Tonitron335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Exclamation Same issue

This is a picture of the issue I got, I'm going to visit my dealer this saturday and I'll let you know what happened.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
phx08
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKV Jetta

OP - Thats sucks...but i'm sure they will fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr30_328 View Post

Breaks
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
ckbumu
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonitron335i View Post
This is a picture of the issue I got, I'm going to visit my dealer this saturday and I'll let you know what happened.
That is exactly how my tail light looked like when I had the issue last week. I would ask the service dept to take a look at the other one as well. In my case, both of them had the issue.

I really have quality concerns about new 3 series. My driver side door does not look like fully aligned compared to other doors. I also have very noticeable wind noise in the cabin when I drove above 55 mph, which is irritating to me. So, I have another appointment next week. So far, I am really disappointed given how BMW promotes their products.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
mr30_328
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonitron335i View Post
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
mr30_328
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbumu View Post
Thanks for your sharing your experience. Yeah, it is quite possible. My trunk is though, too. I am grabbing the lid from the inside first, then close it.

Did they show you the broken housing? Well, they told me that the housings are not installed properly at the factory, but honestly I have doubts about that. I would try the factory more than a service. I wondering if they fixed my permanently or they thought they fixed it.

I check the passenger side light today on the boot and noticed that there is little gap between the top right corner of the light and boot body. I noticed the same thing for the boot light on the driver side as well. However, there is no gap between the rubber seal surrounding light (the one covering the edge of the light: I cannot see any rubber sealer visible covering the exterior top corners that are adjacent to the main tail light) and the body (same for both lights). So, I am not really sure if lights are mounted properly or not. That would be really nice if we can compare. Any feedback/help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I remember seeing bits of plastic flying around one time when i opened the trunk, so i think it was a combination of the force used to close it, and also shady quality of the housing.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

No its an easy fix.
*Pull the carpet back then unbolt the one spring loaded bolt.
*Remove the taillight, it will come right out.
*notice the lip where the tab goes in is bent slight in.
*Bend it back and reinstall.
5 min job.
      09-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Me too.
Attached Images

Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0