F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 steering wheel upgrade to sport with paddle shifters
GetBMWParts

01-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #111
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F31_road69 View Post
Hi,

I am new to this forum.

I also have trouble getting the airbag off my ugly black thin standard steering wheel, so I can replace it with a sports steering wheel. I watched like a thousand YouTube videos but every situation is different. Think I will try another option I saw, getting the screws out at the back of the wheel, so I can pull the button sections out towards me and see the airbags springs. I will post the outcome later on.
Late reply and hopefully you figured it out by now, but I struggled with this, too. I ended up tossing the wheel because I tore the fabric more than I would have liked. There is a small channel for the screwdriver to fit through, so make sure it's flat against the back of the steering wheel when you insert it. You will feel the clip when you start pushing inwards. It helps to push down on the top of the airbag and then pull it outwards as you push on the clip.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #112
roll_the_dice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 EBII

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazima View Post
Thanks for the reply, after checking all my wiring and connections. I realized 3190 paddles verbaut wasn't coded. I thought if you coded 2TB it would work but you also have to code that in addition. It all worked after that.
Makes sense...I coded and recoded multiple times hoping it was that...but to no avail I reran the wires...as long as it works, that is the main thing!
Drives: 2011 Porsche 958, 1965 Chevy C10, 1988 Porsche 944 Sold:2010 e90 Montego Blue, 2013 F30 EBII, 2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST, 2006 Mini R50,2004 VW Touareg, 2012 Camaro Convertible, 2008 Porsche 911 Convertible, 2007 Corvette, 2004 BMW e64 convertible, 2000 Dodge Dakota, 1999 Ford F150, 1999 Porsche Boxster, 1999 Ferrari Modena, 1992 BMW e36, 1990 Nissan 240sx, 1979 Celica, 1974 Mustang II
My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #113
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I'm on the tail end of my retrofit paddles on m steering wheel thanks to you guys! Can someone please confirm which paddle connector plugs into which harness connector? The video I watch ( pic attached) said the longer blue connector actually connects to the right side paddle (+). However there is a black plastic holder clip holding the shorter blue connector (- downshift paddle) with another wire that goes to the black controller box. There is no way to plug the black box connector and the shorter blue paddle connector to the left side except maybe take off the black clip. Something tells me that they put that in place for a reason. Can someone tell me which connector goes to which paddle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jojo753.00
      05-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #114
MoeRahman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive 2013

Hi would any of you guys know the correct parts and paddles to order for the 2013 328i xdrive. The back plate on ECS says it's not compatible with the xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #115
TMac335i
335i F30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

I am figuring out which wire goes to which paddle shifter. I also heard that the shorter one goes to the side furthest away which makes zero sense to me. You would think BMW would label them. I'll let you know once I code the paddles and figure out if they work or not. Right now I have them as the longer side hooked up to the furthest paddle.

The real question I have is the lane assist. I am now getting a lane assist malfunction and that feature no longer works. Could I have the incorrect wire harness or will this go away once I code the shifters. It's strange because everything is hooked up but I have two connections just tucked away because the paddle shifter harness replaced them. Harness part number 32-30-6-854-769 and I couldn't find another harness for lane assist just a heated feature which I don't have.

Can anyone weigh in on this?
Active Autowerke Flash Tune, FMIC, Exhaust | BMS Intake | VRSF DP | VRSF CP
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #116
cal_be
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 LCI 118dA

On my harness there is a black connector together with the right blue one, I guess this is for the lane assist buttons.
Do you also have vibrations then?

For information I've just replaced my sport steering wheel with a M one and paddles, my car was already wired, F20 sport 08/2016.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 12:07 AM   #117
twincam23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ActiveHybrid 3

Selling my setup for cheap because I broke the connector when removing it.

https://offerup.co/lLdq/aQ4kkbj9ZN
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 06:47 AM   #118
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I have some paddles I haven't gotten around to listing yet. PM me if interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:05 AM   #119
aaygen
F20
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F20 LCI 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@codemybimmer View Post
I just bought a wheel too with Paddle Shifters and will have to get it working once I get the wheel.

Check this post which I've bookmarked - http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=82

Essentially you'll need a wire from FEM Pin 5 of A173*7B to SZL Pin 3 of A83*2B if the wire harness doesn't have the wire. You can easily check if under ICM Module in E-Sys, doesn't have 3190 > Paddles_verbaut.

The connectors required for the PIN are 61 13 0 005 197 x2.

Let me know the result as well, as this is what I took from the posts.
Just to be clear, if I have the paddles_verbaut entry and I'm able to change it, then the car already has the wiring?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:40 AM   #120
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaygen View Post
Just to be clear, if I have the paddles_verbaut entry and I'm able to change it, then the car already has the wiring?
I would say yes.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #121
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaygen View Post
No. Everyone has the entry itself but now if it was turned on, there's a chance you have it. It's pretty simple and takes less than 5 min to check for the wire anyway.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #122
Chubster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd m sport

Just added paddles to my m-sport wheel and thought I'd share some pictures which might help others in the future.

Overall it was quite straight forward even though I had to splice&solder a connector wire to the new harness as my wheel has heating and the new harness did not have it. Based on what I've read/looked at wiring/saw the wiring in the wheel it is the same line which goes to the vibra motor as well (noticednI have the vibra even though no options for it).

One picture shows where to drill the hole and dimple. The other picture shows the harness where the cable/connector for the heater&vibra has been soldered in (blue cable added to the other blue one, cable left bottom).

Also if anyone is wondering the "shorter cable" of the two paddle cables in the harness goes to the left side, which yes is not logical.

Coding was easy (used bimmercode) and got some DSC and EPS errors afterwards which cleared after a while (guess they come because battery has been disconnected).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
relsah32.00
      09-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #123
arom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubster View Post
Just added paddles to my m-sport wheel and thought I'd share some pictures which might help others in the future.

Overall it was quite straight forward even though I had to splice&solder a connector wire to the new harness as my wheel has heating and the new harness did not have it. Based on what I've read/looked at wiring/saw the wiring in the wheel it is the same line which goes to the vibra motor as well (noticednI have the vibra even though no options for it).

One picture shows where to drill the hole and dimple. The other picture shows the harness where the cable/connector for the heater&vibra has been soldered in (blue cable added to the other blue one, cable left bottom).

Also if anyone is wondering the "shorter cable" of the two paddle cables in the harness goes to the left side, which yes is not logical.

Coding was easy (used bimmercode) and got some DSC and EPS errors afterwards which cleared after a while (guess they come because battery has been disconnected).
Great tips! Can provide what values you changed via BimmerCode?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 01:45 AM   #124
Chubster
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arom View Post
Great tips! Can provide what values you changed via BimmerCode?
One thing to note is that my car was prewired, meaning I had the cable from "steering column" to the FEM module in the passenger side footwell. Was easy to check before hand from the passenger side footwell if is is prewired or not.

Bimmercode to enable the paddles:
1. Go to Front Electronic Module (FEM)
2. Choose Expret mode
3. Choose 3190 PfSteeringWheelPaddles
4. Choose PADDLES_VERBAUT
5. Change from nicht_aktiv to aktiv

Same things you change with other coding methods.
Appreciate 1
arom41.50
      10-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #125
e46_f30
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_be View Post
On my harness there is a black connector together with the right blue one, I guess this is for the lane assist buttons.
Do you also have vibrations then?

For information I've just replaced my sport steering wheel with a M one and paddles, my car was already wired, F20 sport 08/2016.
I just finished this retrofit over the week and I also wanted to confirm that the right paddle (+) works when connected to the shorter blue connector. The longer blue connects to the left (-) paddle. I think the paddles themselves probably have different resistance and would have worked either way but my non M3 paddles wires were not long enough to reach the longer left paddle.

Another tip that that I found was if you drill the holes for the paddles and find that the angle isn't quite right, using a metal washer helps with the angles and the paddles will sit more flush (at least for me).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 04:33 AM   #126
zax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i 2013

I'm about to replace my old steering wheel with that M-beauty soon.

I'm not sure if I got the wire between FEM and SZL. I have to check when I finally get my car (most likely I won't have that wire because this is very basic).

So I know I'll need to connect the FEM and SZL. As far as I can see, the connectors required for the PIN are 61 13 0 005 197 x 2. How can I connect them together in between? Do I need any special wire to solder it together?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #127
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zax View Post
I'm about to replace my old steering wheel with that M-beauty soon.

I'm not sure if I got the wire between FEM and SZL. I have to check when I finally get my car (most likely I won't have that wire because this is very basic).

So I know I'll need to connect the FEM and SZL. As far as I can see, the connectors required for the PIN are 61 13 0 005 197 x 2. How can I connect them together in between? Do I need any special wire to solder it together?
If you don't have solder, just strip some off each end, twist, and heavily tape it with electrical tape. If you have solder, then just solder. Nothing special.

Appreciate 1
zax17.50
      10-31-2018, 01:08 PM   #128
zax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
If you don't have solder, just strip some off each end, twist, and heavily tape it with electrical tape. If you have solder, then just solder. Nothing special.
I thought there is a need for some special wire. I've got solder so I'm going to make this properly as supposed, with electrical tape too. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 04:00 PM   #129
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zax View Post
I thought there is a need for some special wire. I've got solder so I'm going to make this properly as supposed, with electrical tape too. Thank you!
Nope! Just take those wires and strip off the connector between them and solder/tape together to make the connection. I can't remember if I used two or three. I think three but I may have had slack.

Appreciate 1
zax17.50
      05-02-2020, 12:15 PM   #130
silvershadow112
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 430i

Retrofitting paddle to a M sport steering

Quote:

I am about to do the same conversion, can you share which size drill bit did you use? and am i required to drill the dimple also?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #131
Chubster
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvershadow112 View Post
Quote:

I am about to do the same conversion, can you share which size drill bit did you use? and am i required to drill the dimple also?
Sorry cannot remember at all, but starting a bit small you can always expand.

And yes you need to drill the dimple as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #132
relsah
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 2014 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherhef View Post
I'm on the tail end of my retrofit paddles on m steering wheel thanks to you guys! Can someone please confirm which paddle connector plugs into which harness connector? The video I watch ( pic attached) said the longer blue connector actually connects to the right side paddle (+). However there is a black plastic holder clip holding the shorter blue connector (- downshift paddle) with another wire that goes to the black controller box. There is no way to plug the black box connector and the shorter blue paddle connector to the left side except maybe take off the black clip. Something tells me that they put that in place for a reason. Can someone tell me which connector goes to which paddle.
Were you able to connect the shorter blue connector to the left paddle plug?
Appreciate 0