F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > BMW Assist and Connected Drive Problems
GetBMWParts

12-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive

BMW Assist and Connected Drive Problems

Is anyone else with BMW Assist and Connected Drive having problems getting their service set up in Canada. There appears to be a problem/backlog involving 2014 models getting the required Service Agreement processed through BMW Canada so service can be fully activated.

Understand the delay can be weeks or months in some cases.

If anyone has more info, please share. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
shag
pullin a boat
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Mine works fine. What's wrong with yours?

The only thing that doesn't work properly for me is Gracenote... it never finds anything unless the disc itself is encoded with it...

2021 X3 M40i, Phytonic/Cognac
Past:
2017 330i xDrive Touring M Sport, EBII, Dinan
2014 328d xDrive Touring M Sport, BSM/CR.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Mine works fine. What's wrong with yours?

The only thing that doesn't work properly for me is Gracenote... it never finds anything unless the disc itself is encoded with it...
When did you take delivery of your 2014 and were all the Connected Drive features (like real traffic, BMW Connected and My BMW Remote) working from the outset or did it take a while to set-up? I took delivery early Dec; some features work but not all. Told it's not a technical issue with the car, but a problem at BMW Canada end.

When I press the SOS button, it works and I connect to the BMW Assist Call Centre and can speak to them, but they tell me they don't have my "agreement" yet. When I took delivery of the car, the SOS button wasn't working. This was subsequently corrected by the dealer; and the dealer has submitted the Connected Drive agreement on-line 3x. BMW Canada say they have received it, but there is a problem with certain 2014 models. The applications have to be processed manually (whatever that means) and there is a backlog they are working through. Dealer has escalated and waiting for it to be processed.

That's all i know; love the car, but not a great customer experience so far with Connected Drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormannn View Post
When did you take delivery of your 2014 and were all the Connected Drive features (like real traffic, BMW Connected and My BMW Remote) working from the outset or did it take a while to set-up? I took delivery early Dec; some features work but not all. Told it's not a technical issue with the car, but a problem at BMW Canada end.

When I press the SOS button, it works and I connect to the BMW Assist Call Centre and can speak to them, but they tell me they don't have my "agreement" yet. When I took delivery of the car, the SOS button wasn't working. This was subsequently corrected by the dealer; and the dealer has submitted the Connected Drive agreement on-line 3x. BMW Canada say they have received it, but there is a problem with certain 2014 models. The applications have to be processed manually (whatever that means) and there is a backlog they are working through. Dealer has escalated and waiting for it to be processed.

That's all i know; love the car, but not a great customer experience so far with Connected Drive.
I had a similar problem with my X5. It took them closer to 3 weeks to resolve it and I was told it has to be done by BMW Germany back office staff. They told me that once it is resolved they will call me back , never got a call
In my case my email was associated with the E90 335 and when I took delivery of the X5 they asked me for a new email address. I hope they are not going to do the same for my F34.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
shag
pullin a boat
Canada
Rep

Odd. I have not experienced any activation issues myself; I collected the car at the end of October. SOS button worked fine the next day; even Internet access was working on day 1. As I've said before, the only issue I'm experiencing right now is Gracenote not recognizing anything.

FYI, my old car did not have TeleServices/Assist, and my current car is a factory order.

Past:
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Not the "same" issue but on my own note,

I inadvertently disabled my BMW Assist trying to get BMW Live to work on CIC. Even after VO coding KOMBI, CMB_ECALL, CMB_MEDIA and HU_CIC, the Assist button status led lit up but after "updating BMW Assist", it seemed to have disabled the system again. Strange.

Though on my end, i'll have them look at it and probably just reload the VO of the entire car.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
moishe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi

I had the same issue with my 428xi. This was about a week or two. I still haven't found the time to call them back, but I'll do it this weekend and keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
shag
pullin a boat
Canada
Rep

Yep, my Assist/Concierge/Internet/Online ain't working either. TeleServices worked a few days ago (I sent some diagnostic info to my dealer) but yesterday everything was down. According to Customer Relations, there was a system outage but no other explanation was available.

I think the Assist Update screwed up my combox... note that I have not coded anything on the car (I don't even have the cable or the software). I'll wait until all the electrical gremlins are wiped out.

In my case, my issues might be related to my battery. We've had a few -30C & lower days & nights. The car put itself in protection mode a few times (Recharge Battery/Battery Discharge when off), telling me that it is disabling all non-essential electrical devices including iDrive. Once the car starts (yes it starts just fine at -35C and it's a Diesel), everything works but I still get a warning in Check Control.

Past:
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
Tanzanitian
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive, 2018 X3 30i

Had the same issue on my 2014. Apparently it was a dealer issue, from what they say. They thought they had registered my car for the BMW Assist but it didn't go through so they just did it again. I just called them back and told them that the service agreement didn't go through and a week later it was done.

So I would just call your dealership to have them re-send the service agreement. Shouldn't take too long
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
Not the "same" issue but on my own note,

I inadvertently disabled my BMW Assist trying to get BMW Live to work on CIC. Even after VO coding KOMBI, CMB_ECALL, CMB_MEDIA and HU_CIC, the Assist button status led lit up but after "updating BMW Assist", it seemed to have disabled the system again. Strange.

Though on my end, i'll have them look at it and probably just reload the VO of the entire car.
So turns out my subscription lapsed

Might just give the dealer I purchased it from a ring, given they kept delaying the Assist paperwork and then eventually left us with half a month left (rather than 4 months, given it was a Demo).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzanitian View Post
Had the same issue on my 2014. Apparently it was a dealer issue, from what they say. They thought they had registered my car for the BMW Assist but it didn't go through so they just did it again. I just called them back and told them that the service agreement didn't go through and a week later it was done.

So I would just call your dealership to have them re-send the service agreement. Shouldn't take too long
I wish it was that easy! My service agreement has been re-entered at least 3 times by the dealer and was re-entered again on Friday (this time by BMW themselves). BMW Assist confirmed that the initial problem (which they say impacts 2014 Canadian models) and requires the agreement to be set-up manually, has been addressed, but for some reason the agreement is still not showing up on their system. BMW Customer Relations has escalated to tech support to investigate and resolve. I was promised a call back to confirm which didn't happen today.

This has been going on for more than a month. Since others are saying they have had no problems with their BMW Assist set-up, this must impact only a sub-set of customers in Canada with 2014 models (or maybe some are not aware if they have a problem if they haven't contacted BMW Assist).

I hope someone at BMW Canada is listening. This is pretty ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #12
Tanzanitian
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive, 2018 X3 30i

I agree. Most people would not know that their BMW Assist is not set up. I only found out because I got a postcard from BMW Assist in the USA saying it was not set up and I had to do it within the first 45 days in order to have my complimentary service.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzanitian View Post
I agree. Most people would not know that their BMW Assist is not set up. I only found out because I got a postcard from BMW Assist in the USA saying it was not set up and I had to do it within the first 45 days in order to have my complimentary service.
Agree .. I wonder how many 2014 Canadian model owners have actually tried using the SOS Button and confirmed that their service is registered. I only did because the dealer specifically told me to try it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

I think there must be some issues with processing things at BMW Assist. My initial free year period expired in late December and they have still yet to charge my credit card for the renewal. That said my BMW Assist is still working fine and I even called them to confirm as much and also that they had my credit card info on file, the rep I spoke with was unsure as to why there was a delay in charging my card even though my subscription had renewed.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
FDinTO
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 335xi Msport 6MT

I picked up my 335xi in September and no problems with BMW assist. You have to initialize the service with the SOS button once. They did screw up my email address (only used when my secretary sends addresses to my GPS through google maps) but that was corrected. My dealer was BMW Mississauga.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moishe View Post
I had the same issue with my 428xi. This was about a week or two. I still haven't found the time to call them back, but I'll do it this weekend and keep you posted.
Is your Connected all working now. I'm still waiting; has been escalated by the dealer .. now more than 6 weeks since delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #17
shag
pullin a boat
Canada
Rep

Mine still works fine. Dealer flashed latest I-Step including a ConnectedDrive update, it seems to have fixed the few bugs I still had except for Gracenote.

Past:
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #18
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Ugh turns out gonna need the dealer to flash my car. Checked MyBMW (didn't sign up for the longest time) and low and behold, my Assist services don't expire till JULY 31, 2014!!! Guess that FDL coding for BMW Live screwed Assist...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
I bought a new M235i a month ago. My BMW Assist doesn't work either, and I was told s similar thing that OP has been describing. Seeing as how his/her post was made in late '13, I am amazed BMW still has this situation going on.