F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY - F30 OEM Backup / reversing camera retrofit installed!
Extreme Powerhouse

02-14-2018, 04:05 AM   #419
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
To clarify, how does the camera connect to the control module? The socket on the back does not fit the HSD cable I have. Meanwhile I look at this listing:

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/182955163002

And it looks like there's a black cable running from the back of the camera, that then connects to the HSD cable, who has connects to the module. Is this correct? I need this on top of the main harness?
The socket normally has to fit in the camera and the module.
But if you get the retrofit harness you get a second cable which fits in any case.
The cable goes direct from the camera to the module.
I think the guy from your Ebay-Link has worked with an extension cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 04:06 AM   #420
_pancho_
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: modified F87 M2 Man -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
I just looked at the circuit diagram and wondered.
For F25 the rear view camera will be connected not directly to the FEM (FRM).
Like you can see in the circuit diagram it will be connected to a terminating resistor.
I did not know that before either.
Hello,
Is that really for the F25 body, the picture of the car looks like the newer G01 ?
I have only two CAN cables from the TRSVC module..
Bought this:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/263134860322?ul_noapp=true

regards Tobias
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 04:29 AM   #421
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pancho_ View Post
Hello,
Is that really for the F25 body, the picture of the car looks like the newer G01 ?
I have only two CAN cables from the TRSVC module..
Bought this:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/263134860322?ul_noapp=true

regards Tobias
I have just entered it again with an older production year and got the same result.
On the other hand, I have found a installation guide from 2013, where the two K-CAN cables go to the climate control unit or the HU.

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3...dq3re_pdf.htm?

Maybe it will be connected differently in a retrofit than in the original.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #422
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
The socket normally has to fit in the camera and the module.
But if you get the retrofit harness you get a second cable which fits in any case.
The cable goes direct from the camera to the module.
I think the guy from your Ebay-Link has worked with an extension cable.
When I look at the listing and photo #4, you can see the one end hooked up to the end of the control module in the background (the blue connector) and a thicker black connector connected to the back of the camera itself. The cable that I received only has 2 of the blue ends on it so it won't fit for sure, and I agree it looks like it's meant more as an extension cable. Are you saying that with the main harness: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253213558519 would have the proper ends on both sides?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #423
macs
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: f31

Quote:
I went to a local dealership and they said they couldn't. They said it might only be something that can be ordered from Europe. This is extremely confusing.. I can't believe that with all the different videos for stuff there's no one who's done one with OEM parts. To clarify, how does the camera connect to the control module? The socket on the back does not fit the HSD cable I have. Meanwhile I look at this listing:

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/182955163002

And it looks like there's a black cable running from the back of the camera, that then connects to the HSD cable, who has connects to the module. Is this correct? I need this on top of the main harness?
You need a different cable with the right connector for the camera, like the one in the attachment
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Kailec594.50
      02-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #424
macs
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
When I look at the listing and photo #4, you can see the one end hooked up to the end of the control module in the background (the blue connector) and a thicker black connector connected to the back of the camera itself. The cable that I received only has 2 of the blue ends on it so it won't fit for sure, and I agree it looks like it's meant more as an extension cable. Are you saying that with the main harness: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253213558519 would have the proper ends on both sides?
Sorry I didn't see the following page so I replied to your prevoius post.
To complete reply the original harness is two pieces, fro TRSVC to somewhere in the trunk with two blue connector 1 female (for the ECU) and 1 male (for the second cable), then a second shorter cable connected to the previous with one blue male connector and to the camera with connector I sent you in picture.
When you retrofit the camera, usually there is only one cable from the camera all the way to the module, it's a repair cable. Issue is to find the right cable lenght because, usually, cable included in retrofit kit are too short. If you want to be sure, you can buy cable #61129241791 that is 8135mm long. (it's for an X5). Other solution is to install TRSVC in the trunk but this is not the OEM position.
Appreciate 1
Kailec594.50
      02-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #425
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs View Post
Sorry I didn't see the following page so I replied to your prevoius post.
To complete reply the original harness is two pieces, fro TRSVC to somewhere in the trunk with two blue connector 1 female (for the ECU) and 1 male (for the second cable), then a second shorter cable connected to the previous with one blue male connector and to the camera with connector I sent you in picture.
When you retrofit the camera, usually there is only one cable from the camera all the way to the module, it's a repair cable. Issue is to find the right cable lenght because, usually, cable included in retrofit kit are too short. If you want to be sure, you can buy cable #61129241791 that is 8135mm long. (it's for an X5). Other solution is to install TRSVC in the trunk but this is not the OEM position.
Thanks, that's clearer to me now. Is https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253213558519 all I need then?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #426
macs
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that's clearer to me now. Is https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253213558519 all I need then?
As I said, HSD cable should be too short to reach TRSVC ecu in front OEM position.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #427
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As I said, HSD cable should be too short to reach TRSVC ecu in front OEM position.
Understood, so the cable I have will be useful then? It's fairly long and has 2 female blue connectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #428
macs
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Understood, so the cable I have will be useful then? It's fairly long and has 2 female blue connectors.
Depends on the lenght, do you think it is long enough to reach the place where you wanna install the ecu? If yes maybe another solution is to use one cable used in the external mirrors for top view that is very short but has one male blue connector at one end and black camera connector at the other end
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 04:21 AM   #429
_pancho_
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: modified F87 M2 Man -17

Quote:
I have just entered it again with an older production year and got the same result.
On the other hand, I have found a installation guide from 2013, where the two K-CAN cables go to the climate control unit or the HU.

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3...dq3re_pdf.htm?

Maybe it will be connected differently in a retrofit than in the original.
Oh I got a instruction for retrofit from BMW on a F25 LCI, and there they don't even use a TRSVC box? The camera is directly connected to ZGW (A51)
Can't I use my TRSVC setup then?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #430
blueboy_gigel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
You need a different cable with the right connector for the camera, like the one in the attachment
You really don't need that cable. You can adapt the other one but it won't have the clip to hold in place. I just did that with the reverse camera a piece of tape and works perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:18 AM   #431
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy_gigel View Post
You really don't need that cable. You can adapt the other one but it won't have the clip to hold in place. I just did that with the reverse camera a piece of tape and works perfect.
I'd like to hear more about this. The only cables I have are the HSD cable with the 2 blue female connectors and a green and orange cable. Is this sufficient?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #432
macs
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy_gigel View Post
Never thought to a solution like this 'cause I only like fully OEM retrofit, but it is a good solution anyway, and lets you save a lot of money. Good DIY!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #433
macs
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
I'd like to hear more about this. The only cables I have are the HSD cable with the 2 blue female connectors and a green and orange cable. Is this sufficient?
If you want to go this way you've solved HSD line problem, next you need cable to connect TRSVC to HU, and 10 pin connector for TRSVC ecu
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #434
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you want to go this way you've solved HSD line problem, next you need cable to connect TRSVC to HU, and 10 pin connector for TRSVC ecu
The problem is I don't have the cable and no one seems to sell it without the HSD cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #435
DLeMs
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverin View Post
Does anyone know the part number for the cable to the camera?
In my research on RealOEM and ordering the parts myself, the part numbers are:

Backup Camera: 66539240351
Trunk/Handle mount for camera: 51247368753
Retrofit Cable: 61122154696
Control unit Bracket: 66539232797
Screw for Control Unit Bracket(x1): 07149158182

Control Unit: There are several part #'s available based on different production times on the modules. As far as I can tell, they are interchangeable, I will verify this once my cable arrives and I complete the retrofit. If you order it new, you should get the newest one. Part #'s(listed from oldest to newest): 66539267915, 66539282420, 66539288002, 66539302256.

Coding(if you already have a laptop/software and cable) should be nothing more than a VO code to add option 3AG. Again, once I complete my retrofit, I will post an update with how mine went. If anyone has any questions about finding or ordering parts, please feel free to PM me.
Could you walk me through getting 3AG to the VO? I've installed the unit and added 3AG in the SALAPA editor. It's listed in the FA each time I load eSYS. I'm just not sure what I need to do next. Do I just select Code FDL or do I need to edit the right CAFD file in the proper ECU first. If so, I have no idea which CAFD in which ECU. Thanks for any advice
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #436
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeMs View Post
Could you walk me through getting 3AG to the VO? I've installed the unit and added 3AG in the SALAPA editor. It's listed in the FA each time I load eSYS. I'm just not sure what I need to do next. Do I just select Code FDL or do I need to edit the right CAFD file in the proper ECU first. If so, I have no idea which CAFD in which ECU. Thanks for any advice
Once you added the 3AG to FA, which you already have done, follow the instructions I quoted from Shawnsheridan below to VO code it. You must do this to each required ECU for this retrofit (FEM, REM, TRSVC, etc...can't remember the rest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan
Connect => Read FA => Activate FA => Read VCM => Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:54 PM   #437
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Technically, yes with what blueboy_gigel was showing you. His way won't lock in place so he used electrical tape to secure it.

Here's something I found while mocking the cables inside my house prior to installing into my car. The short part that connects to the camera is 61129281712, inside mirror cable. Still not cheap, I think it was around $75 but its an option.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=58

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 03:56 AM   #438
analizer
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d 150HP 2016

Hi All,

I am planning to install the backup camera on my F30 2016. I have both front and back PDC.
Quick question though. I have found on ebay both backup and the 360 OEM camera modules and the price isnt that much of a huge difference.
I was thinking to buy the 360 module and install only the backup camera and at some point in the future to add the front maybe. I dont care very much for the side cameras but who knows I might add them to at a later stage.

The question really is that if I buy the 360 kit and program only 3AG for the back up camera, would that be ok? I mean would I encounter any errors since not all of the cameras will be connected?
And also if I only connect the front and back would that also be ok and what is the FA code for the front camera? Is there one or I can only enable the front one if I install the side ones as well?

Thanks in advance for you help
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 04:37 AM   #439
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Yes, you can buy the "big" module for all cameras and only activate the 3AG rear view camera. That's no problem.
For installing only the front cameras i don't know.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #440
macs
Private
Italy
Rep

F30 cars doesn't have a front OEM camera, or you mean the two on the bumber sides? Anyway I confirm that you can install the surround view module and install the rear camera only, you won't have any warning on the car but ISTA will store "faulty cameras" during diagnosis hence this will not cause any problem at all
Appreciate 0