F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > [Poll] Do you have rusty seat frame bases?
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: Do you have rusty seat frame bases or hinges?
Yes, my seat frames are all red. 22 18.97%
Yes, but a few red spots. 44 37.93%
No, mine is clean. 32 27.59%
Don't want to look under the seats. 20 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

02-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #111
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition X-drive

My new seat frames are in an they will be replaced on monday. I'm a little scared as another member who had his replaced had a few areas scratched in his car so I gotta make sure to inspect it really well after the work is done.

Anyways, as soon as I get the work done I'll update this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #112
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post
My new seat frames are in an they will be replaced on monday. I'm a little scared as another member who had his replaced had a few areas scratched in his car so I gotta make sure to inspect it really well after the work is done.

That's a good news! And I wish everything goes well.
Keep us updated.
TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #113
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:

Yeah apparently take before pictures and highlight to the SA that scratches shouldn't happen.

My Tech is REALLY a perfectionist, probably best I've worked with, and treats my car like his own...that's rare.

Good luck!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #114
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerHJ View Post
That's a good news! And I wish everything goes well.
Keep us updated.
TIA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Yeah apparently take before pictures and highlight to the SA that scratches shouldn't happen.

My Tech is REALLY a perfectionist, probably best I've worked with, and treats my car like his own...that's rare.

Good luck!
So, the good news. Seats are in, the underside looks great and there is essentially no rust!

The bad. Apparently the new seat frames come standard with a scratch on the door sill:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I immediately emailed my Service Advisor the picture and I got a couple of extremely apologetic calls today from the Service Manager. Loaner lined up on Monday and they are fixing it ASAP. What can you do? Apparently removing the seats on the driver's side is a challenge??

My wonderful dealership has not exactly endeared itself to me yet. Since delivery of my car on December 18th they have:
1) Cracked both of the handles on the front doors when replacing the original trim for aluminum trim --> replaced by dealership
2) Bent the new aluminum trim in a couple of spots, able to bend them back with a trim removal tool
3) Denied that the seat frames were an issue --> email to BMW Canada resolved that
4) Scratched my door sill installing said seat frames --> taking care of it Monday

They have been good about owning up to their mistakes and offer friendly service it just seems like there is a lack of detail that is sorely missing. There is a new Service Manager that started on Monday, so maybe some of that carelessness will improve.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #115
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
So, the good news. Seats are in, the underside looks great and there is essentially no rust!

The bad. Apparently the new seat frames come standard with a scratch on the door sill:

I immediately emailed my Service Advisor the picture and I got a couple of extremely apologetic calls today from the Service Manager. Loaner lined up on Monday and they are fixing it ASAP. What can you do? Apparently removing the seats on the driver's side is a challenge??

My wonderful dealership has not exactly endeared itself to me yet. Since delivery of my car on December 18th they have:
1) Cracked both of the handles on the front doors when replacing the original trim for aluminum trim --> replaced by dealership
2) Bent the new aluminum trim in a couple of spots, able to bend them back with a trim removal tool
3) Denied that the seat frames were an issue --> email to BMW Canada resolved that
4) Scratched my door sill installing said seat frames --> taking care of it Monday

They have been good about owning up to their mistakes and offer friendly service it just seems like there is a lack of detail that is sorely missing. There is a new Service Manager that started on Monday, so maybe some of that carelessness will improve.
Sonofabitch. I took mine in today for the Limp Mode issue and it so happened my seat pans were in. I did mention to the SA that their tech "is going to be very careful, right?" She gave me a wise-ass answer.
      02-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #116
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Apparently removing the seats on the driver's side is a challenge??
Um, there's a STEERING WHEEL in the way on the driver's side? I think everyone underestimates how much of a pain in the ass it is to pull front seats and reinstall them.

The car and trim may get scratched all to hell, but at least the undersides of your seats will be shiny and new!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #117
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

^ In addition, they are extremely heavy. Lifting one out while hunched over and off-balance into the car is tough. It's gonna bang into everything. There's a reason the factory has powered lifting units to install them.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #118
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Um, there's a STEERING WHEEL in the way on the driver's side? I think everyone underestimates how much of a pain in the ass it is to pull front seats and reinstall them.

The car and trim may get scratched all to hell, but at least the undersides of your seats will be shiny and new!
Oh, I totally understand that they must be hard to pull out, as the poster below states I'm sure they are heavy as hell and much easier for the factory lifts than the service guys. But is it too much to expect them not to scratch the car while they are doing it?

If you want to be sarcastic about the seats that's no problem (I do see how it can seem insignificant) but mine did not have just one or two spots of the surface rust but they were rusting into the metal. The hinges where the seat belts attach on the chairs were rusting quite badly and that doesn't seem like an issue one would just want to leave. Given that this car is still with me for 45 more months it had to get repaired.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #119
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Sonofabitch. I took mine in today for the Limp Mode issue and it so happened my seat pans were in. I did mention to the SA that their tech "is going to be very careful, right?" She gave me a wise-ass answer.
Maybe give them the heads up that you have seen two cars have the pans changed and the driver's door sill has been scratched on both. If they are aware of it they might use some extra care. I'm still glad I switched them up as mine were awful, but the scratch does suck.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #120
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Oh, I totally understand that they must be hard to pull out, as the poster below states I'm sure they are heavy as hell and much easier for the factory lifts than the service guys. But is it too much to expect them not to scratch the car while they are doing it?

If you want to be sarcastic about the seats that's no problem (I do see how it can seem insignificant) but mine did not have just one or two spots of the surface rust but they were rusting into the metal. The hinges where the seat belts attach on the chairs were rusting quite badly and that doesn't seem like an issue one would just want to leave. Given that this car is still with me for 45 more months it had to get repaired.
I'm just pointing out that it's a real pain. I'm not saying it's OK that they caused damage. Simply that I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up as "gross negligence". Now if they scratched up your hood because they threw the seat up there to disassemble it I'd have a much different opinion.

I also understand the angst the whole situation can cause. Some I've seen were quite bad. The majority were not however.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #121
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Quote:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

was ur dealership ottos or elite?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #122
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just left a message for my SA saying they better not scratch the sills.
      02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #123
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
was ur dealership ottos or elite?
Otto's

Quote:
I just left a message for my SA saying they better not scratch the sills.
Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I'm just pointing out that it's a real pain. I'm not saying it's OK that they caused damage. Simply that I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up as "gross negligence". Now if they scratched up your hood because they threw the seat up there to disassemble it I'd have a much different opinion.

I also understand the angst the whole situation can cause. Some I've seen were quite bad. The majority were not however.
I hear you, I don't think it's "gross negligence" either but I do think that my dealership up to now has shown some carelessness in their work on my car. To their credit though, they have stepped up to bat right away and are doing their best to remedy it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #124
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I hear you, I don't think it's "gross negligence" either but I do think that my dealership up to now has shown some carelessness in their work on my car. To their credit though, they have stepped up to bat right away and are doing their best to remedy it.
What actually would have to be done? Repaint and blend it outside the damaged area?
      02-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #125
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What actually would have to be done? Repaint and blend it outside the damaged area?
I'm not too sure to be honest. It's hard to see from the pic but it's actually one of those scratches that is almost "lifted" at the surface so you don't feel a deep groove but rather as if something is stuck there (at first I thought it was glue or something). My guess is some part with an edge to it got caught and scratched/lifted as it was pulled out. They said they would need the car for two days and the sales manager said he will inspect it himself after the work is done before returning the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #126
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not too sure to be honest. It's hard to see from the pic but it's actually one of those scratches that is almost "lifted" at the surface so you don't feel a deep groove but rather as if something is stuck there (at first I thought it was glue or something). My guess is some part with an edge to it got caught and scratched/lifted as it was pulled out. They said they would need the car for two days and the sales manager said he will inspect it himself after the work is done before returning the car.
Hope it all gets worked out. And hoping my dealership is more careful. They told me when I was signing the papers they don't even put the front license frame on unless asked (even though it's required by law) because the customers are so fussy around here.
      02-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #127
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Not for nothing, but i notice some kind of electronics in a white plastic case under your seat. This reminds me of a problem experienced in some data centers in the past.

Well, computer room floors are basically large steel tiles set on a bunch of stringers in the shape of a grid. Plus, the floors of the data center are pressurized so as to distribute air conditioning by inserting a floor tile with ventilation holes.

In general, most data centers maintain up to 50% humidity to reduce static electricity.

Anyway, the computers (IBM) started to fail. Nobody could figure out why. Then, it was finally discovered, that these iron whiskers were being found inside the circuit boards of the failing computers. These iron whiskers were shorting out the circuit boards wreaking havoc.

It turns out that the iron whiskers formed from rust under the steel floor tiles. The top of the tile is some kind of beautiful white material that can reduce static. The entire grid is bonded to the building ground. But, the underneath part of the floor tile looks exactly like the bottom of your rusted seats.

See where I am going with this?

Maybe the rust is harmless from a structural standpoint, but could the iron filings released from the oxidation start to land on the various circuit boards placed throughout the BMW? Maybe the rust is harmless, but maybe it is causing these goofy problems with windshield wiper fluid showing low when full...

Okay, maybe that's extreme. But, what about the longer term effects of little iron particles floating throughout your car and landing inside your car's sensitive microcircuitry???

Just a thought and a reason to make BMW fix the problem.
nevermind the circuitry.Imagine that building up inside your body..hhhhmmm
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #128
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SRT Viper / M3 / X6M / Raptor

Mine are clean - build date 01/2013
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #129
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejholt View Post
Mine are clean - build date 01/2013
Think it was "corrected" in November.
      03-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #130
Pappy Pipes
Estoril Blueblood
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30/2019 G30 M Sport

Thumbs down

I have rusty seats in my 17 day old $53K F30 and BMW corporate has acted extremely unethically thus far. If BMW forces me to escalate this, dung is going to rain on their brand for 1000 years! I'm pissed, not at BMW's laughable quality control but at their thuggish treatment of customers!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #131
Dan's 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

No rust - Build date 6/12
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #132
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
So, seems like no more recent updates from rusty owners...

According to the Poll,

Total 118 members voted,

19% (22 owners) have seriously rusty seats,
38% (44 owners) have minor rusty spots,
27% (32 owners) were very lucky to have clean (=normal) seats,

and....

17% (20 owners) didn't want to look under the seats!
Appreciate 0