F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > DIY - F30 NBT 8.8" screen RetroFIT (All features enabled)
ARMA SPEED

12-28-2017, 06:35 AM   #45
AJ2206
320i F30 Sportline
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30 Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan_br View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2206 View Post
Like I mentioned in my post, coding is the only thing I didnt do myself as the vendor who sold it to me on Ebay offered coding as part of the deal (he was pretty prompt and remote logged into my computer to do the heavy lifting )

Far as part list is concerned, heres all thats needed to make this work:

1) NBT headunit for F3x cars. (NBT)
2) NBT monitor for F3x cars
3) Video wire NBT to CID
4) New Style TouchPad controller (this was really important to me as the bigger dial with touchpad is simply awesome )

5) ECU unit for the TouchPad controller

6) PnP emulator with plug and play wires for microphone, touch ecu, and touch idrive. - This is the MOST important component as the its a wiring harness that makes things plug and play, really easy! The part that I received had very good quality insulated wires. Also the fact that it had ECU unit controller (item 5 above) and NBT emulator integrated in the harness which ensures no wires to be spliced manually.

7) Newest maps for your region (again, the 2016 maps are just awesome and this vendor gave me the activation code for free! )

8) Coding for your vehicle VIN number (Remotely done by the vendor, all you need is an internet connection and OBD-II Enet cable (item 9 below) which is also supplied by the vendor

9) ENET coding cable

10) USB cable for usb in the armrest. (Another plug and play wire supplied by the vendor which avoids the tedious process of trimming old usb connector pin and rotating it by 180 degree)

11) T20 (Torx 20 screwdriver) and car dashboard trim removal kit - NOT supplied by the vendor but can be bought off ebay in less than 20 bucks...

(mind it, i bought an NBT-1 and not NBT evo thats been sold at Bimmertech. Although NBT Evo looks really fancy with Idrive 6 interface, to me shelling out that much money was uncalled for, given how good Idrive 4 performs in the NBT-1 that I use. All NBT Evo has extra is touch screen interface and a fancier layout of icons on main screen - not worth double the price!!)

My eBay seller was Naviprof (the link to the item obviously has expired so cant share it) - I would highly recommend him as he supported the install well. Not a 5 star as there were delays at times due to time difference but overall support and part quality are impeccable.
Would you mind to inform us the part number of the required parts?
Don't have the part no.s mate as I ordered all parts from eBay but there are several other posts out there which mention the part no.s ...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #46
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, BMW F40 116d

Garage List
Friend of mine did the retrofit, he also bought the ATM emulator.

After installing the ATM emulator the Navigation still did not light op, after a few tries the screen is now black, it has backlight and sound but no screen.

Any help?

PS. We have NOT coded the car yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 07:04 AM   #47
AJ2206
320i F30 Sportline
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibo24 View Post
Friend of mine did the retrofit, he also bought the ATM emulator.

After installing the ATM emulator the Navigation still did not light op, after a few tries the screen is now black, it has backlight and sound but no screen.

Any help?

PS. We have NOT coded the car yet.
Coding the car is a must - no emulator can bypass it... have you double checked connections on the GPS antenna (blue colored pin that goes behind the NBT)?

Complete the VO coding part (Add 609 (Nav), 6NS EBT (replacing 6NH), 6NR (apps) ) - the screen should come back on... if you don't know coding, you can find someone on forums who do remote coding for a small fee....

although a black screen is unusual as without these codes, it just shows a standard 6.6" display with old CIC style options ...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #48
mazzy960
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Efficient Dynamics

Installation; running cables/wires and coding of NBT EVO High 2 (4GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xooler View Post
Emulator is not the best solution. If you need FSC codes matched your VIN - let me know. I can help you.
Hi Xooler,
I am new to the forum, very recently I bought an NBT EVO high 2 (4gb) version and will need your help as you did your NBT very recently. So I believe that you are one of the people who has got all the necessary experience and knowledge to help me in completing this fitting?
The extra hassle that I need to face is to bring (re-run) the combox cables from boot to the back of the EVO Sat Head unit as the components present in the Combox are located in the NBT EVO Sat Nav unit itself? I believe?
I have seen your message that you are willing to help with the FSC code to my
chassis number? My BMW's chassis number is WBA3E12040F162290. The donor vehicle's Chassis number is WBAKS820200W24507 (this is the car who's NBT EVO will be used on my BMW?
So your help on this matter is very much appreciated?
I would like to thank you in advance for all the help you provide?
Regards
Maz
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #49
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

I'm getting ready to do this retrofit - from reading numerous threads it's my understanding that you can either code the car OR get an emulator... So if I'm confident I can code the various parameters I do not need to buy an emulator, correct?
So basically just the HU, screen, idrive controller and video cable?

I've found a listing on eBay for $600 shipped USD for everything, thinking I might bite the bullet as it seems like a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 03:40 AM   #50
AJ2206
320i F30 Sportline
Australia
Rep

I've found a listing on eBay for $600 shipped USD for everything, thinking I might bite the bullet as it seems like a good deal.[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
I'm getting ready to do this retrofit - from reading numerous threads it's my understanding that you can either code the car OR get an emulator... So if I'm confident I can code the various parameters I do not need to buy an emulator, correct?
So basically just the HU, screen, idrive controller and video cable?

I've found a listing on eBay for $600 shipped USD for everything, thinking I might bite the bullet as it seems like a good deal.
That's partially correct mate - you will need to code despite using an emulator. I'm not certain whether you can code your way out and not buy an emulator though.

Emulators work is not to code but to trick your car's system into believing that the NBT that you install is the stock unit. I would reach out to Shawn Sheridan who's the coding guru - if he says you can, means you really can!

Good luck with the retrofit.

PS: You will need a Kcan2 (think that's what it's called) control unit aka ECU for your idrive touch controller to work as the existing cable from HU to idrive won't support the touch module (which again, has to be coded to work post installation!)

Cheers,
AJ
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 02:18 AM   #51
andrewlaing
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i F30

Which system do I have?

Hi Guys,

First post here from South Africa . I am trying to identify which unit I have in my F30.

Please could you check attachments and advise?

No NAV, only USB/AUX in armrest and BT phone. No BT streaming and no combox.

I want to know can I upgrade to NBT or can I get the CIC navigation unit?

Am I forced to change the display if I upgrade the in dash unit?

Tx in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by andrewlaing; 05-20-2018 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: added attachments
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #52
Diljee
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 420d Msport

Hi, what year is your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #53
Diljee
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 420d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlaing View Post
Hi Guys,

First post here from South Africa . I am trying to identify which unit I have in my F30.

Please could you check attachments and advise?

No NAV, only USB/AUX in armrest and BT phone. No BT streaming and no combox.

I want to know can I upgrade to NBT or can I get the CIC navigation unit?

Am I forced to change the display if I upgrade the in dash unit?

Tx in advance.
Hey buddy, I’m here in johannesburg. What year model is your car? I have two HU_entrynav units. The one with gps and one without. They both can be fitted with the 8.8” screen by just removing the current 6” screen.No need to change the cable only code two lines for the wider display. Pm me if you interested in the units.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #54
pleaseNIKE
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2013

Help

i have a 2013 328i f30 with NBT bus nav 6.5 inch screen. i want to upgrade to the 8.8 screen but am wondering what all i will need. if i purchase a kit off ebay with the screen, controller, and computer will that be all i need to get the nav and such? additionally, how much programming will i need to do?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:57 AM   #55
Jay928S4GT
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 928s4 GT, GC6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Onyx View Post
Thanks mate! I have contacted with the UK eBay seller since my last post. He explained that all servicing log will be lost. Can servicing logs be re-entered into the system if lost?
Hi, My wife recently purchased an F30. It has 6.5” screen and I want to upgrade this with the 8.5” to make her life easier (especially with the kids in the back of the car). I been told by a UK installer it can’t be done however, I disagree as our F30 community is not as advanced as the chaos over in the USA! Notably, you been in my position so hoping for some positive feedback?
Car intel :- man’fact June 2013; CHAMP 2 head unit: S606A Navigation System business. I am engineer so need a little guidance and will have this resolved for myself and other legacy iDrive F30s, br/
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #56
Tavicu
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by omiheer@gmail.com View Post
Car intel :- man’fact June 2013; CHAMP 2 head unit: S606A Navigation System business. I am engineer so need a little guidance and will have this resolved for myself and other legacy iDrive F30s, br/
Your head unit doesn't support 8" screen. The UK installer was right. The Head Unit doesn't have the power and it was not designed to run the screen and that resolution.

Your options are changing the navi including the head unit or getting an android screen.

Last edited by Tavicu; 09-19-2019 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #57
Radical2301
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

NBT

Hi guys

I just got my F30 few weeks ago, I'm unsure if I have NBT or CIC, but I would like to get the NBT EVO, but as you got it on eBay where would I get it coded? I'm in the uk and and on eBay they are going for £600 a lot of money to be wasted
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 10:59 AM   #58
AK0142
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i

2013 BMW 320i 6" to 8" screen

Hi,
I have a 2013 BMW 320i with 6"inch screen and the CIC radio. I need to convert to 8" screen is it possible?? And i have also installed MMI prime so carplay works fine. guide me in retrofitting a 8" screen.
Appreciate 0