F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Video- New BimmerTech SmartView!
Extreme Powerhouse

06-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #23
jacob_dk
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 F25 20xi

With summer holidays coming up I finally placed an order today along with rearview cam and combox retrofit.
Looking forward to spend time on this project.
I'll submit an installation and review post when done.

Review here:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1288054

In short:
Smartview works beautifully and the delay from phone to screen is a few milliseconds at the most.
It's exactely what I hoped for.

Last edited by jacob_dk; 07-27-2016 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #24
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_dk View Post
With summer holidays coming up I finally placed an order today along with rearview cam and combox retrofit.
Looking forward to spend time on this project.
I'll submit an installation and review post when done.

Review here:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1288054

In short:
Smartview works beautifully and the delay from phone to screen is a few milliseconds at the most.
It's exactely what I hoped for.
Great to hear!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #25
GTAF10
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkeys View Post
Hey Everyone,

We have exciting news.. the new BimmerTech SmartView is here!

Check out our short video to learn more and see a live demo!

Thanks,

Bryan
Does that mean we won't be able to listen to radio/music in the background while the screen is in mirroring ?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #26
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

You can either listen to the mirrored audio (if you connect it to your AUX port) or the radio/music/any other input.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #27
Hyperlink
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAF10 View Post
Does that mean we won't be able to listen to radio/music in the background while the screen is in mirroring ?
You can, but you'll need to change the audio source via iDrive to radio or Bluetooth. If you want to hear audio from the BimmerTech unit you need to run an rca/aux cable from the BimmerTech hardware to the aux port inside of the middle arm rest thing. If you want audio from the mirrored screen all the time just leave your audio input in iDrive as aux. I would contact their support for instructions on where to drill the hole or how to run the rca/aux cable. Kinda of a pain in the butt, but BimmerTech says there isn't really a better way to do the audio thing. It was probably expensive/difficult for them to override the aux input going into the HU.

Location of the aux port:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...t=phone+cradle
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #28
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

There is an easier way to listen to the mirrored audio. You can try to connect your phone to the AUX port via the 3.5mm jack while mirroring.

Some phones, however, disable the jack when mirroring, so it won't work. There is a workaround to force your phone to send all audio as a Bluetooth phone call. Some navigation apps (i.e. Sygic) have this out-of-the-box, so it works flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #29
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Has anyone attempted to stream a netflix movie on their phone and 'cast that ' to the smart view? and it work?

I ask beacuse I'm still not clear, if youre phone is connected to the smartview wifi, doesn't the phone look to the smartview for internet connection? Which of course isn't there... so wouldn't it basically time out any streaming you want to do from things like Netflix, Pandora, etc etc?

In other words, 'cast' the video via wifi to the smartview. But still keep 3G running on the phone to stream video/data/internet connection...

Does this make sense?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #30
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: Subaru

It depends on what you mean by SmartView as we have two kinds of those:
SV HD which is based on the Apple TV3
SV HD FLEX which has two flip out antennas

I'm guessing you're referring to the Flex unit based on the fact that it broadcasts a wifi network to which you connect the phone.

The basic answer is that streaming video apps generally is possible from compatible miracast android phones to the SmartView HD Flex perfectly fine. However after the iOS 11 update iPhones no longer want to stream video apps to the SV HD FLEX. Other apps do work just as they did - e.g. navigation apps.

iPhones work great with our Apple TV3 based SV HD and video apps stream perfectly fine to it from iPhones too. And it's not likely to change in the future either.

You will need mobile internet in your phone for either of these SV streaming setups. When streaming from an iPhone to the SV HD you will also need to broadcast a wireless hotspot from the iPhone which the apple TV will connect to for internet to stream the videos.

I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #31
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej@BimmerTech View Post
It depends on what you mean by SmartView as we have two kinds of those:
SV HD which is based on the Apple TV3
SV HD FLEX which has two flip out antennas

I'm guessing you're referring to the Flex unit based on the fact that it broadcasts a wifi network to which you connect the phone.

The basic answer is that streaming video apps generally is possible from compatible miracast android phones to the SmartView HD Flex perfectly fine. However after the iOS 11 update iPhones no longer want to stream video apps to the SV HD FLEX. Other apps do work just as they did - e.g. navigation apps.

iPhones work great with our Apple TV3 based SV HD and video apps stream perfectly fine to it from iPhones too. And it's not likely to change in the future either.

You will need mobile internet in your phone for either of these SV streaming setups. When streaming from an iPhone to the SV HD you will also need to broadcast a wireless hotspot from the iPhone which the apple TV will connect to for internet to stream the videos.

I hope that helps.
Maciej@BimmerTech

Thank you for replying to me. So if I didn't need to or have any interest in doing this wirelessly, My Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus is capable of sending anything on its screen out of its USB-C port. WIRED to an HDMI.

So my question is, could I in theory just get your MMI, (no SV HD or SV HD Flex) and just plug my phone into the HDMI port?

Why wouldn't that work?

Or even for my wife's iphone, today, we use this adapter connected to an HDMI cable and it shoots anything on the screen through the HDMI port.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #32
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

The adapter should work, but you'll have to run cables from the MMI unit (which you'll probably hide under the head unit) to the outside. And don't forget the fact that you'll have to change the adapter (and thus take apart the head unit again) when you'll get a newer phone or a phone from a different brand.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 07:00 AM   #33
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for replying to me. So if I didn't need to or have any interest in doing this wirelessly, My Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus is capable of sending anything on its screen out of its USB-C port. WIRED to an HDMI.
In theory that should work when connecting the phone to the MMI HDMI input. We have never tested these adaptors ourselves though so I can't confirm it. I dimly recall one customer trying to mirror through the apple lightning to HDMI adaptor that you placed in your post - and it didn't work well or at all (I don't recall exactly) but the reason why was not determined. Maybe there was a bad connection somewhere (HDMI doesn't like to have multiple connections and cables between devices as signal is lost) or the adaptor could have been bad.

But - it should work as HDMI is HDMI. We've had customers connect various HDMI devices to the HDMI ports on our MMI's. E.g. you can check out this blog post where a customer described his battle with installing a DVD player in the back of the car:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...blu-ray-player
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #34
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Good news for SmartView HD Flex users!

Our team managed to make the video streaming apps work again with iOS 11.2 and 11.2.2 iPhones! It is however expected that it won't work with iOS 11.3 though so if you want to continue using apps like youtube with the HD Flex - better stay on 11.2 after the firmware update.

We have updated the download link in the youtube tutorial video with the latest firmware:

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #35
tpliquid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330i wagon

Would one be able to cast navigation to the screen and then use the phones speaker to output the sound directions?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #36
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Maciej@BimmerTech Will the FW work if I have the same unit as HD Flex, just bought it on eBay and not BimmerTech?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 03:25 AM   #37
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpliquid View Post
Would one be able to cast navigation to the screen and then use the phones speaker to output the sound directions?
I'm afraid that is not possible. Audio and video are not separable in airplay. Maybe it would work if you plugged in an audio jack into the phone but I bet that's not what you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoSK View Post
Maciej@BimmerTech Will the FW work if I have the same unit as HD Flex, just bought it on eBay and not BimmerTech?
I only know how our modules behave, can't comment about ebay modules.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #38
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpliquid View Post
It depends on your phone - iPhone streams both video + all audio via mirroring, the majority of Android phones too. However, there's an app for Android that can force it to play audio through speaker even during mirroring. Haven't tried it though.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:51 AM   #39
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoSK View Post
It depends on your phone - iPhone streams both video + all audio via mirroring, the majority of Android phones too. However, there's an app for Android that can force it to play audio through speaker even during mirroring. Haven't tried it though.
Valid point. I've hear that there are even builds of Android that support the separation of audio natively - so it might be possible to do that without any additional apps for some Android users.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #40
zonbin
Registered
Rep
Drives: car innova

In theory that should work when connecting the phone to the MMI HDMI input. We have never tested these adaptors ourselves though so I can't confirm it. I dimly recall one customer trying to mirror through the apple lightning to HDMI adaptor that you placed in your post - and it didn't work well or at all (I don't recall exactly) but the reason why was not determined.
Thanks

Last edited by zonbin; 01-17-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0