F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > My stock Runflat tire popped
Extreme Powerhouse

01-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
AHB900
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335I M-Sport

My stock Runflat tire popped

Hey guys, ive had my car for 2 months and it has under 3000 miles on it. I have the 19s staggered wheels with the Potenza s001. My front passenger tire popped while driving the other day. I was driving on the freeway the road was a bit bumpy but no pot holes or any thing, and I got a warning on my HUD saying low tire pressure. I drove it home and noticed that my run flat was completely deflated. I had the tire checked and was told that the tire had a big gash on the inside.

Why would a tire with less than 3000 miles on it just pop? I have not hit any pot holes recently although I do drive in and out of parking lots with some horrible bumps.

Is there some sort of a warranty on these tires. I looked up the tire and everywhere is asking $400 for one tire.

Thanks Guys
      01-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
BMWEpic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Sorry to hear about that! That's unfortunate.

Are you absolutely positive the tire did not have a bubble on it?

Run flats are prone to get bubbles easily (within those 3000 miles of driving, a pothole or even hitting a curb in such a way) could cause one to develop which then could have led to it popping. That's the downside to runflats in my opinion, when I first purchased my car I had a similar issue a few months down the road - a huge bubble had formed on my front tire, and had to change it. Unfortunately, they are very pricey.

You could contact a wholesale tire place to see what different options they could get you for your car that would fit best and be a good replacement.

For sure, look into the warranty if they are so new as well; if they are the original tires that came on the car from the dealership, contact the dealership and ask them.

Again /: sorry to hear about your dilemma!
      01-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Nitrous Garage
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB900 View Post
Hey guys, ive had my car for 2 months and it has under 3000 miles on it. I have the 19s staggered wheels with the Potenza s001. My front passenger tire popped while driving the other day. I was driving on the freeway the road was a bit bumpy but no pot holes or any thing, and I got a warning on my HUD saying low tire pressure. I drove it home and noticed that my run flat was completely deflated. I had the tire checked and was told that the tire had a big gash on the inside.

Why would a tire with less than 3000 miles on it just pop? I have not hit any pot holes recently although I do drive in and out of parking lots with some horrible bumps.

Is there some sort of a warranty on these tires. I looked up the tire and everywhere is asking $400 for one tire.

Thanks Guys
Unfortunately that is one of the biggest down sides to run flat tires. They are known to crack if hit by a decent sized pot hole.

Because you didnt hit a pot hole there might be a structural warranty claim but the shop would have to prove that the tire is bad and the fault is not because of the driver. Not an easy thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
AHB900
Second Lieutenant
Rep

They are the tires that came from the dealer. I really dont know if there WAS a bubble or not.

Who would I need to speak to in order to see if I can have the tires replaced through warrenty, BMW or Bridgestone?

Its ridiculous my previous car was a dropped on springs R32 with 18 inch wheels on nitto performance tires. I would hit every pot hole which made me feel like my car completely fell apart and not ONCE did I have a tire pop on me. A stock BMW really should not have this problem :-\.
      01-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Garage View Post
Unfortunately that is one of the biggest down sides to run flat tires. They are known to crack if hit by a decent sized pot hole.

Because you didnt hit a pot hole there might be a structural warranty claim but the shop would have to prove that the tire is bad and the fault is not because of the driver. Not an easy thing to do.
Huh? I've never heard of an issue with run flat tires cracking from an impact. The rigidity of a run flat tire is known to cause increased instances of bent and cracked rims, not tires. The OP said he has a big gash on the inside of the tire, which doesn't make any sense, unless he misunderstood and they were referring to the degradation of the interior sidewall from driving it with no pressure.

OP, post some pics of the damage/defect on the tire so we can see what you're actually dealing with.
      01-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
Kyokio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 RS5 & SQ7

Quote:
They are the tires that came from the dealer. I really dont know if there WAS a bubble or not.

Who would I need to speak to in order to see if I can have the tires replaced through warrenty, BMW or Bridgestone?

Its ridiculous my previous car was a dropped on springs R32 with 18 inch wheels on nitto performance tires. I would hit every pot hole which made me feel like my car completely fell apart and not ONCE did I have a tire pop on me. A stock BMW really should not have this problem :-\.
sorry to hear.. but i'm guessing you didn't purchase BMW's wheel & tire insurance. f you didn't, it'll be tough getting a free replacement from the dealership. Tires are wear & tear items and not covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
AHB900
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Lawman View Post
Huh? I've never heard of an issue with run flat tires cracking from an impact. The rigidity of a run flat tire is known to cause increased instances of bent and cracked rims, not tires. The OP said he has a big gash on the inside of the tire, which doesn't make any sense, unless he misunderstood and they were referring to the degradation of the interior sidewall from driving it with no pressure.

OP, post some pics of the damage/defect on the tire so we can see what you're actually dealing with.
I am not home right now, but ill try to get a picture of the damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyokio View Post
sorry to hear.. but i'm guessing you didn't purchase BMW's wheel & tire insurance. f you didn't, it'll be tough getting a free replacement from the dealership. Tires are wear & tear items and not covered by warranty.
I didnt know there was such a thing . Do tire manufactures usually have any type of warranty on their tires?
      01-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
QTC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 320i; B6 A4 1.8T

Quote:
I didnt know there was such a thing . Do tire manufactures usually have any type of warranty on their tires?
They do, but it's normally tied to a manufacturing defect, which, in this case, may be hard to prove. What you're experiencing is more likely a claim against the "road hazard warranty" (if one existed). At $400 for a single front, you might be better off picking up a slightly used set out of the classifieds - although you'd be spending more, at least you'd have spares.

Edit: Relating to my last point: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918569

Last edited by QTC; 01-28-2014 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: link
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
AHB900
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTC View Post
They do, but it's normally tied to a manufacturing defect, which, in this case, may be hard to prove. What you're experiencing is more likely a claim against the "road hazard warranty" (if one existed). At $400 for a single front, you might be better off picking up a slightly used set out of the classifieds - although you'd be spending more, at least you'd have spares.

Edit: Relating to my last point: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918569
I actually said screw it and grabbed one non run flat hancook for the front passenger side and honestly I cant tell the difference, I just hope I don't get a flat cause then ill be screwed.
      01-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Check with the cd you received with the car and take it to the brand tire dealer, not BMW dealer.

There was a one year road hazard warentee on Pirelli and Bridgestone run flats.
Appreciate 0