F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > MT vs AT
proTUNING Freaks

10-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #45
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
I only had MT's in my BMW's /former cars for the last 24 years, except for the same sport 8AT(same as in the F30 range) in my ex F10 535i. Great, fast , comfy.

One downside for me which appeared also in the 320dA F30 I drove last week.

320dA normal driving : When accellerating out of let's say a miniroundabout in 3rd @15mph or so, you have to be careful how much you push the throttle because it immediately responds in shifting back to FIRST which is a way too low gear to begin with in that situation and it shifts to SECOND after that. The whole action feels very awkward and strange. I know with the shiftpaddles and in a different mode i'ts different but we're talking normal driving here. The F10 did the same.

Also from standstill @ a crossing/trafficlights etc (in the wet even more so) it sometimes can be strange pushing the accellerator: the box first hesitates to start from zero mph and then goes the whole FIRST gear and you wished to go to second rightaway. I'm talking about normal driving in normal /heavy traffic. On a trackday I would want it like this off cource, without the hesitation from zero mph.

Maybe a difficult explanation but it was my main reason to switch back to manual. Maybe the MT car isn't as fast. It sure is 100% way more CONTROLLABLE...

Cheers
Robin
You know you can drive the AT in manual mode right? Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #46
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
You know you can drive the AT in manual mode right? Lol
LOL? Read my post my friend. This is what I also said:
Quote:
I know with the shiftpaddles and in a different mode i'ts different but we're talking normal driving here. The F10 did the same.
Try to manage to accellerate quickly from standstill (zero) on a not so flat and not so dry surface with a AT vs the MT en then we 'll talk again.

(We're talking F30s and RWD stuff, not EVOs)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #47
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
LOL? Read my post my friend. This is what I also said:

Try to manage to accellerate quickly from standstill (zero) on a not so flat and not so dry surface with a AT vs the MT en then we 'll talk again.

(We're talking F30s and RWD stuff, not EVOs)

Cheers
Robin
My cars prior to the Evo were an MR-2 and an AP1 S2000. What is your point? And honestly, I didn't read through your whole post! I guess my normal driving is a little more aggressive than your normal driving. I dunno, who knows.

I have driven stick my entire life but for some reason I liked the new AT in this car. besides in traffic the first thing i do is put it in sport or dsc off mode and manually shift...only thing that sucks is trying to hold redline, itll shift for you. also my acl injury wont let me stomp on heavy clutch packs all day (sucks for me)...not all AT drivers don't know what's going on, which it seems like all the MT buyers feel.

Try driving a front wheel drive off that same surface!! haha
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #48
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

I just re-read your post. 15mph in a turn in 1st gear is too low? Matter of fact in the rain, is when I drive harder - no early shifting, let it spin! =)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #49
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
An 8-Speed AT is my wet dream come true. At last I can relax the whole left side* of my body after all those years driving MT cars. Growing up is hard to do but ever such fun once you get there and reap all the benefits.
If half of your body is not relaxed while driving a manual, then maybe you weren't driving it right in the first place.

I'm on the fence at this point. I've owned manual cars for 20+ years and just love the control and feel of the MT. Whenever I drive my wife's AT car with the paddle shifts, it just isn't the same. You don't feel as connected.

I'll have to test drive the 8-sp AT and see if it comes close to the fun of a MT. I know the MT will go way of the dodo bird probably in 7-10 yrs so probably my next car will be the last chance I have to buy the car I want with a MT. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #50
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
My cars prior to the Evo were an MR-2 and an AP1 S2000. What is your point? And honestly, I didn't read through your whole post! I guess my normal driving is a little more aggressive than your normal driving. I dunno, who knows.
No worries. In bold, read my post thoroughly , I think it's the other way around mate.

My point was that you guessed I might not know my ex 8AT had a manual mode. I knew that off course...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #51
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
No worries. In bold, read my post thoroughly , I think it's the other way around mate.

My point was that you guessed I might not know my ex 8AT had a manual mode. I knew that off course...

Cheers
Robin
I was just saying that because in those cases, I would put it in manual mode. By your comments I didn't understand the complaints in those situations if/when you already used manual mode. Complaints would be gone! But I agree manual is a lot more fun but the AT isn't too much behind is what I'm suggesting.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #52
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
If half of your body is not relaxed while driving a manual, then maybe you weren't driving it right in the first place.

I'm on the fence at this point. I've owned manual cars for 20+ years and just love the control and feel of the MT. Whenever I drive my wife's AT car with the paddle shifts, it just isn't the same. You don't feel as connected.

I'll have to test drive the 8-sp AT and see if it comes close to the fun of a MT. I know the MT will go way of the dodo bird probably in 7-10 yrs so probably my next car will be the last chance I have to buy the car I want with a MT. We'll see.
What car does your wife drive?
When I drive my ladie's 135i with DCT and flappy paddles, I feel even MORE connected to the car. Only thing that sucks is that if you are cruising in a high gear it feels awkward to have to pull the paddle x amount of times rather than just shifting directly to whatever gear you want. But in those instances, if the kickdown is performed it goes straight to the lowest gear. It gets addicting shifting using that gearbox. And on the track, one would never have to downshift from a high gear to multiple gears down. So I think it works great.

If that little flappy paddle gear box works like that, I want to try the M3 in M mode with the quickest/hardest shifting setting.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #53
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
So basically, your advice is that owning a car with manual transmission will directly result in more shagging?
Yes, it will come automatically.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #54
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
Yes, it will come automatically.
I had a friend hookup with a girl and she literally rode the shift knob to get herself going....with today's AT gear selector being similar in shape to those of the traditional MT shifter, it is possible to get more shags in an AT as well.

(True story for reals.)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #55
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
I had a friend hookup with a girl and she literally rode the shift knob to get herself going....with today's AT gear selector being similar in shape to those of the traditional MT shifter, it is possible to get more shags in an AT as well.

(True story for reals.)
TMI
And besides, this is a form about BMWs
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #56
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naambezet View Post
TMI
And besides, this is a form about BMWs
And this was a response to someone in a forum about BMWs claiming that you get more pink tacos if you drive stick.
Appreciate 0