F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > X drive ftw
ARMA SPEED

02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #89
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Hey Christ, you and 300 didnt mention that you had other vehicles to drive in your earlier posts. Whats yours?
a) My name's not Christ lol. I was using that as an expression of my frustration with this thread.

My other car is my yearly membership with ZipCar

I find myself in need of high capacity vehicles like SUVs once in a while, but having 2 cars in Manhattan is a pipe dream (unless you make 7 figures), so ZipCar works great for me, especially since there's 4 different garages within walking distance of me.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #90
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
True for YOUR case, but YOUR case is not exactly identical to EVERYONE's situation. This is what I am getting to here. YOU cant claim that because YOU feel "not so smart" when driving YOUR roadster in the winter then anyone else who is doing the same should feel the same. That is how YOU feel and more power to YOU for feeling that way.

In my case, I understand that I can drive any of MY cars, I CHOOSE the one I want based on the circumstances. I CHOSE to drive MY F30 in the snow, I did not kill anyone, and right now its safe in my garage because I chose to drive something else today. Its not snowing today and the roads are dry.

I CHOOSE not to feel "not so smart", thats MY choice.

Dont make YOUR situation apply to MINE, we are not the same
Wee bit defensive are we.

I did not give my example and censor you or tell you what to do in return.

But in my example, I did not create a thread about my driving my car around in an less than ideal situation and or get offended when others put in their two cents to counter.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #91
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:
True for YOUR case, but YOUR case is not exactly identical to EVERYONE's situation. This is what I am getting to here. YOU cant claim that because YOU feel "not so smart" when driving YOUR roadster in the winter then anyone else who is doing the same should feel the same. That is how YOU feel and more power to YOU for feeling that way.

In my case, I understand that I can drive any of MY cars, I CHOOSE the one I want based on the circumstances. I CHOSE to drive MY F30 in the snow, I did not kill anyone, and right now its safe in my garage because I chose to drive something else today. Its not snowing today and the roads are dry.

I CHOOSE not to feel "not so smart", thats MY choice.

Dont make YOUR situation apply to MINE, we are not the same
Wee bit defensive are we.

I did not give my example and censor you or tell you what to do in return.

But in my example, I did not create a thread about my driving my car around in an less than ideal situation and or get offended when others put in their two cents to counter.
I guess you are right got a bit touchy there. The point was, look this car with summer tires can actually handle the snow thanks to awd. I doubt a 335i with my set up can do the same. There is nothing wrong with the thread.

I have to edit this by stating, the car can handle NJ snow at around 30 degrees with no hills. Maybe thats the mistake I made

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages

Last edited by 300hp; 02-04-2013 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #92
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
I guess you are right got a bit touchy there. The point was, look this car with summer tires can actually handle the snow thanks to awd. I doubt a 335i with my set up can do the same. There is nothing wrong with the thread.

I have to edit this by stating, the car can handle NJ snow at around 30 degrees with no hills. Maybe thats the mistake I made
..............and without having to stop.....
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #93
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
No not that, maybe it will stop without killing people
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #94
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
It seems people who consistently have never been to our neck of the country continue to want to bash and troll and name-call without having done THEIR research. In NYC/NJ, a) it pretty much never slows. B) Any snow that does fall doesn't stick for more than 10 seconds, since our infrastructure maintains all roadways with plows and salt.

So lemme make this simpler for those of you who are just willfully ignorant:

"Hey, me and 300 drove on some wet roads with some salt in our summers and had no issues. Cool, nah? But if it ever does really snow (like that crazy 2 foot storm a few years back), hey we'll swap to another car with all seaons or w/e."

Christ.
Those Conti ssr tires are all/season NOT summer performance. Thats why you are able to get around.
edit; you didnt have the "5" in your earlier posts. SSR is a/s...Contisport 5 ssr is summer, you are correct.

Last edited by 335BBS; 02-05-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #95
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVidale View Post
I can't resist another comment.

It's comical when, on a forum of car enthusiasts, who work to overcome an electronic limit of 210 km/km, tune their engines well in excess of the preference of BMW's engineers, often darken their windows almost to opaque, run on giant fragile wheels, and eschew runflat tires, some don't trust posters to occasionally drive in snow without snow tires.

But keep it up.
Again... it's not black or white... 1 or 0...

You're generalizing just as much as the snow tire zealots.. O..oo

But Keep it up...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #96
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I can't resist another comment.

It's comical when, on a forum of car enthusiasts, who work to overcome an electronic limit of 210 km/km, tune their engines well in excess of the preference of BMW's engineers, often darken their windows almost to opaque, run on giant fragile wheels, and eschew runflat tires, some don't trust posters to occasionally drive in snow without snow tires.

But keep it up.
.....those of us that don't do any of the above you mean?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #97
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328ix Mojave/Venetian

Quote:
.....those of us that don't do any of the above you mean?
Ok, I was overreaching, but I could rein in the generalization to "many posters expound on their risqué wheels, tints, tunes, and speedy driving, and do not catch the vitriolic flack reserved for the majority that apparently cautiously drive on summer tires on snow from time to time".
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #98
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Those Conti ssr tires are all/season NOT summer performance. Thats why you are able to get around.

Pretty sure the ConstiSportContact 5 SSRs are summer performance. They're listed as such on tire-rack, carid, and on my BMW order form lol.

And trust me, in any real snow (2-3 inches or more) these things are NOT ideal. It shows when going up snowy driveways, you can still get up and down just fine, but you'll feel the wheel slip.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #99
leo89810
Enlisted Member
China
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

:thum sup:
xdrive ftw
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #100
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

We should sticky this thread since this will be the ultimate collection of famous last words.

I lived in PA for 11 years, and I had a Subaru the whole time. I started running two sets of tires, summer + winter after I spun out on NJ turnpike on my ALL SEASONS as I was coming home from Long Island. My all seasons worked just fine on that road for the first hour, that is until the moment I ended up in the ditch. Luckily I was going slow, no other car was around me, and the ditch was a pile of soft snow, so no damage was done, but it was still scary as hell.

The fact is that AWD does jack shit in making you stop. When your tires lose grip, how many wheels the power is sent to means absolutely nothing. Go to a Subaru forum, where people really know what they are talking about regarding AWD, and post your story about running summers in NJ winter. You will be laughed off.

And as for BMW knowing what they are doing, I suggest you send an email to BMW USA and ask for their opinion on whether you are operating your vehicle as the engineers intended. I think I know the answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #101
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
... My all seasons worked just fine on that road for the first hour, that is until the moment I ended up in the ditch. Luckily I was going slow, no other car was around me, and the ditch was a pile of soft snow, so no damage was done, but it was still scary as hell. ...
LOL. This is exactly the story I heard from an acquaintance about an accident he had when we both were in high school. His story, which I heard 20 years later, was that he was driving cautiously, it was the other guy's fault, the insurance company was unfair, etc..

In fact, in terrible conditions, he blew by me and everyone else on the road going twice my speed, lost it on some ice, and wrecked his family's car.

It's a scoreboard thing - if one spins out, one was driving badly. I think it is actually the law - if one loses control and has an accident, one is at fault.

Driving on ice and snow in summer tires does not automatically result in an accident and megadeath. Yes, one is safer with snow tires, even safer with chains, safer still driving a Hummer at 5 mph, but driving in snow on summer tires can be fine and half the drivers are doing it.

I get on average 2 days a year of bad driving from ice and snow here in Seattle, and I'm not spending many hours and $$ shuffling my tires for those two trips. I got the x-drive to cover all bases, such as ski trips, in case I move, and just a little extra traction for hills and rain (accelerating, I know it doesn't help with braking).

Last edited by JohnVidale; 02-05-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #102
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
We should sticky this thread since this will be the ultimate collection of famous last words.

I lived in PA for 11 years, and I had a Subaru the whole time. I started running two sets of tires, summer + winter after I spun out on NJ turnpike on my ALL SEASONS as I was coming home from Long Island. My all seasons worked just fine on that road for the first hour, that is until the moment I ended up in the ditch. Luckily I was going slow, no other car was around me, and the ditch was a pile of soft snow, so no damage was done, but it was still scary as hell.

The fact is that AWD does jack shit in making you stop. When your tires lose grip, how many wheels the power is sent to means absolutely nothing. Go to a Subaru forum, where people really know what they are talking about regarding AWD, and post your story about running summers in NJ winter. You will be laughed off.

And as for BMW knowing what they are doing, I suggest you send an email to BMW USA and ask for their opinion on whether you are operating your vehicle as the engineers intended. I think I know the answer.
LOL, totally agree!

You really have to have a bad experience to make you do the summer/winter tire thing when living in the Northern portions of the states (might be a different story in 20 years with global warming, but for now this applies).

It was 1997, I had just got a 1998 Ford Contour SVT and took it back with me to college in Ann Arbor (U of M). It was a typical Michigan lake effect snow storm, I had the stock all-seasons on, and was driving perfectly fine on Washtenaw Ave/Road (forgot the main conduit name). I was lightly braking and spun out, 2 full 360's, into oncoming traffic. This is Michigan, so driver's are smart, and I didn't get hit. But I went that afternoon to Sears, bought some snow tires for $400 (lol back in the day, 16 snow tires were so cheap), and never looked back.

I've driven through Michigan/CT/NJ/NY/MD snow storms and blizzards for now 18 years, and ALWAYS have snow tires regardless of the powertrain.

My most stable snow car/suv: ML55 AMG with snow tires.
Least: Evo VIII with snow tires (I blame the GSC Cams/FMIC/TBE and nearly 330awhp!)

Moderate: this car with snow tires, my wife's RDX with snow tires.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #103
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #104
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Driving on ice and snow in summer tires does not automatically result in an accident and megadeath. Yes, one is safer with snow tires, even safer with chains, safer still driving a Hummer at 5 mph, but driving in snow on summer tires can be fine and half the drivers are doing it.
Anything can be fine for a while. Driving without seatbelts on is perfectly fine, until you crash. Hooking up with random girls without rubber is also fine until your balls start to itch. Even Russian roulette is fine until you gets your head blown out.

So it is pointless to say "driving in snow on summer tires can be fine and half the drivers are doing it." (By the way, care to back up that "half" by an actual study?) The fact is that the decrease in grip level is significant when you run summers on snow, and it will significantly increase your chance of crash. Does that mean that you are guaranteed to crash on the first snow day of the winter? Anyone who thinks that needs to learn the concept of probability. But the fact that certain probability is below 100% doesn't make it unlikley. You may be in Seattle and have little need for dedicated snow tires, but running summers all year long in NJ is really pushing your luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #105
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... care to back up that "half" by an actual study? ...
Across all of Canada - "The national number was 51%, buoyed by the fact Quebec has made winter tire usage mandatory - the only Canadian province to do so to this point."

Moderation in all things, and I do have to deal intimately with probability in my work, which is earthquake hazards.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #106
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

I think there's some miscommunication here.

WINTER TIRES are only used by a very small percent of the population (in 2008 that number was 3% of cars in America and about 34% in Canada according to Edmunds).

But in your original post John you stated that half of the people drive in the winter using SUMMER tires, and that's probably not true (i doubt half of the people driving cars in US/Canada even have summer tires at all).

Conclusion: Pretty much all of the US and most of Canada's rolling around on all seasons.

Personally, I'm on Summer tires in the winter, and these are the wheels that came default on my car from the dealership.

Do I think Winter tires would do better in the winter/cold? Absolutely.

Given the choice, would I rather use Winter tires than summer? Of course

But do I think that winter/all seasons are ABSOLUTELY necessary WHERE I live? Not really

Being in the middle of NYC, auto shop and wheel storage options are extremely limited. If I was out in the suburbs where there were a lot of affordable auto shops and I had a garage with lots of space, I'd definitely get a set of dedicated winters. But around here, I'd probably have to rent a slot at a storage center (to the tune of at least $100 a month), and then pay some local overpriced dealership to change the tires ($79/hr workshop fee, at least 1 hour charged for anything). That means I'm looking at $1000+ every year to maintain a set of winter tires.

In addition, it really SNOWS like twice a year here. Rest of the time at most we'll get a small flurry that turns to water as soon as it lands. When it does snow, all roads are immediately plowed and salted, so you'll pretty much never see snow on the road anyway. Worst comes to worst, if there was a blizzard (like the one two years ago), I'll leave my car at home and go rent a 4x4, or better yet not drive anywhere.

So yes, I'd be safer on dedicated winters, my summer ones will get hard even when it's not snowing in winter, etc etc. But taking into account all the factors that go into driving, going around NYC in summer tires now is pretty far down the list of things that could screw me over. I'm pretty sure that if every member here honestly asked themselves, they'd all be able to remember something they've done that's more dangerous (eating while driving, driving in a bad mood/after an argument, driving under time constraints (late for flight/meeting etc), answering phone while driving, driving without enough sleep, etc)

Last edited by Tsuyoi; 02-05-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #107
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep

Quote:

WINTER TIRES are only used by a very small percent of the population (in 2008 that number was 3% of cars in America and about 34% in Canada according to Edmunds).

But in your original post John you stated that half of the people drive in the winter using SUMMER tires, and that's probably not true (i doubt half of the people driving cars in US/Canada even have summer tires at all).

Conclusion: Pretty much all of the US and most of Canada's rolling around on all seasons.
I admit to not being an expert in tire classification. So all this angst was aimed at people, such as the cited soccer moms with SUVs, who buy summer tires for their high performance, and neglect to switch tires twice a year? Not at people who use regular tires, and neglect to switch to winter tires? If so, mea culpa, but then it seems like a rare problem, and not one anyone could spot on a moving car, and still not all that fatal.

Last edited by JohnVidale; 02-05-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #108
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Just an FYI, my dealer in northern NJ offers free storage for life if you buy snows from them. FREE.

Quote:

Personally, I'm on Summer tires in the winter, and these are the wheels that came default on my car from the dealership.

Do I think Winter tires would do better in the winter/cold? Absolutely.

Given the choice, would I rather use Winter tires than summer? Of course

But do I think that winter/all seasons are ABSOLUTELY necessary WHERE I live? Not really

Being in the middle of NYC, auto shop and wheel storage options are extremely limited. If I was out in the suburbs where there were a lot of affordable auto shops and I had a garage with lots of space, I'd definitely get a set of dedicated winters. But around here, I'd probably have to rent a slot at a storage center (to the tune of at least $100 a month), and then pay some local overpriced dealership to change the tires ($79/hr workshop fee, at least 1 hour charged for anything). That means I'm looking at $1000+ every year to maintain a set of winter tires.

In addition, it really SNOWS like twice a year here. Rest of the time at most we'll get a small flurry that turns to water as soon as it lands. When it does snow, all roads are immediately plowed and salted, so you'll pretty much never see snow on the road anyway. Worst comes to worst, if there was a blizzard (like the one two years ago), I'll leave my car at home and go rent a 4x4, or better yet not drive anywhere.

So yes, I'd be safer on dedicated winters, my summer ones will get hard even when it's not snowing in winter, etc etc. But taking into account all the factors that go into driving, going around NYC in summer tires now is pretty far down the list of things that could screw me over. I'm pretty sure that if every member here honestly asked themselves, they'd all be able to remember something they've done that's more dangerous (eating while driving, driving in a bad mood/after an argument, driving under time constraints (late for flight/meeting etc), answering phone while driving, driving without enough sleep, etc)

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #109
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I admit to not being an expert in tire classification. So all this angst was aimed at people, such as the cited soccer moms with SUVs, who buy summer tires for their high performance, and neglect to switch tires twice a year? Not at people who use regular tires, and neglect to switch to winter tires? If so, mea culpa, but then it seems like a rare problem, and not one anyone could spot on a moving car, and still not all that fatal.
Yeah there's winters, all seasons, then summers. No one here's gonna rip someone a new one for using all seasons in the winter (though some may scoff and laugh and ridicule). Main point of contention if danger level of using summers in winter, and exactly how much snow one would need to see per year to justify winters.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #110
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Just an FYI, my dealer in northern NJ offers free storage for life if you buy snows from them. FREE.

Hmmmmm. Which dealer is this? How much they charging for a decent set of 17'' winters with whatever old rims?
Appreciate 0