F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My thoughts after driving an F30 loaner
Studio RSR

05-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
ede92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My E93 was in for work this week and I ended up getting a 328 X-drive for the day.

1) The car feels pretty peppy no doubt.

2) The 4-banger just does not do it for me as far as smoothness and cool mechanical engine sounds. After having 4 in-line 6s in my BMWs I think it will be hard for me to buy the 4. I know it is faster than my E93 by a second or more but I'd rather have the 6. At idle it can sometimes be a bit rough (I had disabled engine stop/start).

3) I played with Sport and Comfort modes and DS mode on the tranny. I found setting combinations that resulted in some less than smooth shifts.

4) The switchgear compared to the E92/E93 did not have the same feel. Felt like a Mazda really. The plastics were thin and the action did not feel as nice as before. I also own a 2013 Passat that has better switchgear.

5) Seating position is very good.

6) High speed highway stability is where the car shines even with the all season tires.

7) No bluetooth audio connectivity? Huh? $12K Kia's have this!

8) Steering is not an improvement.

Overall, this is a very good car but I think BMW has some refinements to introduce in subsequent years to make it feel more luxurious than a new Mazda.
      05-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

i recently drove a F30 loaner as well, i find the interior a nice upgrade from my 328. definitely better than a mazda lol. germans really nickel and dime you to death on basic options, but hey, at least they have electric seats now.

i really liked the 8AT, it's a lot smoother than the 6AT in my car. but the suspension and steering is terrible, they both float all over the place. the handling pack is a must if anyone wants a F30 that drives properly
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
i recently drove a F30 loaner as well, i find the interior a nice upgrade from my 328. definitely better than a mazda lol. germans really nickel and dime you to death on basic options, but hey, at least they have electric seats now.

i really liked the 8AT, it's a lot smoother than the 6AT in my car. but the suspension and steering is terrible, they both float all over the place. the handling pack is a must if anyone wants a F30 that drives properly
I did really like the base suspension in my mom's e90. Very different from the base f30. I don't know why they made it so floaty. Still handles well though. Steering feels fine if you get the VSS.
Appreciate 0