F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Interior color / durability
GetBMWParts

01-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Frencholivier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI :)

Interior color / durability

Hey guys
I was thinking of getting a lighter for my interior, as I will be moving south and black will make the car really hot I think. I like light interiors as well.
My question is about reliability and maintenance. I've heard bad things about BMW leathers not withstanding the passage of time very well, whereas the "pleathers" are better at that. Also they would be easier to maintain.
It's just that I'm not a fan of Venetian beige!!!
(Any durability/quality info on the individual leathers?)

Thanks a bunch.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

This has come up a few times - ultimately one leather should be just about as "durable" (strength wise) as the other. The synthetic leather may be more stronger since it's not as soft.

Generally when it comes to leather, any light color is going to show issues sooner rather than later. If you are good at taking care of it, don't wear cheap blue jeans or jeans with rivets (which are notorious for staining/snagging/tearing) and are careful when you get in and out of the car (if you get sports seats the larger bolsters are more prone to abrasion) then you should be OK.

The carpeting is going to be a bigger issue then the leather IMO. My wifes last car had a beige interior with leatherette and the leather rarely had issues when we maintained it, but any type of spill or dirt would grime up the floor mats and carpet very quickly.

If you don't like the black or the beige it sounds like you have some Coral Red in your future...

I know I've read that BMW uses a UV reflective coating on leather on the convertible models to resist hot seats. I don't know if they use the same coating on the non-convertible models.
      01-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

I've had the beige leatherette in three of my cars and they look like the day I got the cars. My daughters E46 however, has the grey leather and it shows wear, esp. on the side bolsters of the front seats. I recently had a F30 loaner that had beige leather and I couldn't readily tell that it was leather until I checked bmwvin.com. It was maybe slightly softer, but no leather smell and the grain patterns were similar to the 'ette. Only upside in hot weather might be that the beige leather would feel cooler, but where we live, it gets over 100 F and I haven't had issues with the 'ette.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

If you dont want to clean and protect it frequently, get the black leatherette.
Appreciate 0