F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Help! Spilled a yogurt smoothie all over the place!
Extreme Powerhouse

08-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #23
gweeta
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Years ago, one of my kids spilled strawberry milk in the back of my Camry. I did the best I could cleaning it, but that wasn't good enough. The stink was permanent, and when it came time to get rid of the car, I ending up giving it away in part because I couldn't see trying to sell it with that stink.

As others have said, you need to take care of this ASAP. Pro detailer would be my recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
vitriol
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeromotive View Post
How long was your "right away"? Got an appointment tomorrow, which is 36 hours after the incident...

Wife reassured me today that almost nothing was spilled on buttons. Majority of liquid went on the seat, carpet, and spilled through the crease in the driver's seat (the crease between back and seat itself) on the floor of the backseat.
What are you waiting for?

Get it to a detailer or shampoo the carpets yourself. Use lexol to clean the seat (including in between the backrest and the seat).

If after a thorough shampooing (using a water extractor, like the rug doctor system), the smell persists, you may need to remove the carpet to clear underneath. It is possible to completely clean the carpet and remove the yogurt from the carpet, but as with a home carpet, you may need to pull it up to get at whatever is underneath.

But really, if I were you I'd stop posting here and just get it handled.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #25
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

A good detailer will use hot water extraction to get the offending product out.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Get your wife to do everything she can do to clean up.

If she can't...get a detailer or a new car. take the funds out of whatever she's spending on clothing, shoes, and bags.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #27
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Only coffee and water allowed in my car.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #28
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Get your wife to do everything she can do to clean up.

If she can't...get a detailer or a new car. take the funds out of whatever she's spending on clothing, shoes, and bags.
Obviously youre not married
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #29
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Clean everything with damp cloth, leather cleaner (for leather area). Pour arm and hammer (or your prefered brand) powder on the carpet. Let sit for 1 hour, vacuum thoroughly. You may have to remove the arm bolster if milk went inside the door.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
Aeromotive
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: you bonkers

Have been busy taking care of the car. Took it yesterday to the dealership and got a shampoo, (which I thought included steam cleaning and extracting). Told them exactly where to put emphasis and 90-95% of the smell was gone. That's great. I must say the car was cleaned thoroughly and nothing was spared. What's left is really hard to notice. But I wasn't satisfied... That was 36 hours after incident.

As I clearly expressed my dissatisfaction for the money I paid, they told me to come back monday for steam extraction and ventilated drying... I was very surprised and unhappy when they told me it that wasn't done in the first place. I told them multiple times I wanted the most thorough clean, and honestly, most other places I checked included in their (similar) rates. So I took it for granted. My bad. I only went to the dealership because they had room ASAP for me.

Will keep you posted.

@turbolag : thanks for your advice. I'm pretty sure no one treats their wife like that. She cleaned as much as she could right when it happened, but to punish her by taking "funds out of whatever she's spending on clothing, shoes, and bags"? Dude, calm down, it's still a car.

Last edited by Aeromotive; 08-17-2013 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #31
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

That would be mean to anyone, let alone anyone's own wife.

OP, I think if she still feels bad about the whole bad experience/ gentle accident, take her some perfume shopping. It was a bad experience for her already, that might just make it a good closure once the actual car smell is gone from thorough cleaning. It will be something to look back at, in a few years time for a good laugh!

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #32
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Some of the guys here are overreacting. When my son spilled milk on the carpet in the winter unknowingly it smelled like death in the spring. Two trips to the detailer and smell was gone. OP I'm sure what you had them do as far as cleaning is enough and in any event you'll know right away if it wasn't. If they didn't get it all it will start to smell sour in a week or two tops in the summer heat as the milk and/or protein starts turning into bacteria but my guess is you'll be OK.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #33
Aeromotive
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: you bonkers

Took the car back today for (free of charge) steam cleaning, but smell came back worse. It's as if they had extracted all that was in the carpets and left it there...
I once again expressed my disappointment and told them I was taking the car elsewhere. I already found an expect detailer who wll give me an appointment in a few days.

The dealership still did a great job considering that they squeezed me between 2 clients to accommodate me.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #34
gweeta
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeromotive View Post
Took the car back today for (free of charge) steam cleaning, but smell came back worse. It's as if they had extracted all that was in the carpets and left it there...
I once again expressed my disappointment and told them I was taking the car elsewhere. I already found an expect detailer who wll give me an appointment in a few days.

The dealership still did a great job considering that they squeezed me between 2 clients to accommodate me.
Just to reiterate, flavored milk products are really a problem. I got the strawberry milk smell "almost" out too, but it kept resurfacing, especially when the car got warm. Good luck at the detailer.
Appreciate 0