F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New order jitters and questions...
ARMA SPEED

12-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
TxAg98
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340ix

Garage List
2020 BMW M340iX  [0.00]
New order jitters and questions...

Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself; name is Matt and I'm currently deployed working up an order on a new '13 335i. Not my first BMW, but my first new. While stationed in Germany, I had a '93 525ixT that I LOVED but couldn't bring home due to being Euro spec

Anyway, I had a couple questions. I have decided to go with Mineral White and am leaning toward black leather interior.
Question 1: I love the look of the anthracite wood trim with the pear accents, but am concerned how this will match with the red stitching on the black leather seats and door cards. Does anyone have this combo and could possibly post pics that aren't "official BMW" pics?

Question 2: For those with the Coral Red leather, how are you liking it? I think it looks pretty killer with the white ext, but wonder if it will keep its color over the years? I remember seeing some older red interiors in Germany and they didn't exactly hold their color. Hopefully the dye is a little better now.

Final Question: I have always driven manuals, and am leaning towards the 6spd, but have heard great things about the sport auto with the paddle shifters. Never driven a car with them other than test drives, and feel like I may get "over" them rather quickly and get bored with the auto. Has anyone left the manual camp for the auto and how are you liking it?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg98 View Post
Final Question: I have always driven manuals, and am leaning towards the 6spd, but have heard great things about the sport auto with the paddle shifters. Never driven a car with them other than test drives, and feel like I may get "over" them rather quickly and get bored with the auto. Has anyone left the manual camp for the auto and how are you liking it?
Hi Matt, welcome!

I cannot really respond to the first two questions, but I was in the same boat as you with manual vs. auto. My '13 328i is the first auto that I've owned in a while, and I must say it's amazing. I have the sport auto w/ paddle shifters and I haven't found myself missing the clutch since I've owned it. Now, I'm not going to tell you that there won't be times in the future (on twisty, windy roads) that I won't miss the left-foot action, but so far, I have no regrets. Much of my daily commute is congested freeway, and having the auto is SOO MUCH better than the constant peddle action that I had become accustomed to previously. In short, I'm not planning on going back to the manual anytime soon.
      12-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Hi Matt,

I ordered 2013 335i xDrive sedan in November with Mineral White, Coral Red leather, and aluminum trim. After examining all exterior / interior combinations, this particular one is the one I think works best for me.

The car is currently being built in South Africa. Estimated completion date is 12/6/2012.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT

Hi Matt,

Nice to see a fellow service member on here. I'm waiting on my 13' 335 and can't wait! Anyway, I think you have to ask yourself what do you ultimately love...I myself thought about the sport auto option but after test driving a manual 335 I knew I could never have an auto. If you think you might have any regrets don't get the auto.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
jrob
Bimmer God
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

I think it also depends on the type of driving you'll be doing as the auto will be infinitely better in traffic and on hills etc as stated before (which isn't an issue in OKC obviously). This auto tranny is really about as good as they get but personally no matter how good an automatic is, I've always felt disconnected when using them. My friend has a new 335i xDrive with the sport auto and it is impressive and faster than I am in a manual but I just can't help but feeling like I am missing out on something when I drive it. It has nothing to do with the quality of the transmission, just the fact that I am so used to a clutch and the paddle shifters just don't cut it for me. Just my 2 cents. BTW I'm just up I-35 from you in Wichita, currently deployed as well. Unfortunately no new BMW waiting for me when I get home, just a giant to-do list from my wife...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Hi Matt,

Re: the red stitching without the complimentary red stripe on the dash, my reaction in seeing it in person was "Why did they make the stitching red?" Looked like it was supposed too match something but didn't...

I ordered a 335 M Sport and decided on the 8AT with paddles. I'm thinking the paddles will be fun once in awhile but not a necessity at all. I've also gotten to the point that manuals are just too yesterday, especially in light of such a really great automatic in the F30.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg98 View Post
Question 2: For those with the Coral Red leather, how are you liking it? I think it looks pretty killer with the white ext, but wonder if it will keep its color over the years? I remember seeing some older red interiors in Germany and they didn't exactly hold their color. Hopefully the dye is a little better now.

I love the colour of the Coral Red. It's not as lipstick red as some photos make out and looks great

I've also driven manuals all my life and now the ZF8AT is sooooo good, I've finally felt able to go to an auto. I don't regret it one bit! It's an amazing gearbox and the best of both worlds. Not sure that the paddles will get much use but they come with the sport auto anyway and the software is better on the sport auto so it's worth having just for that
      12-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
lfcorrea
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2C 6MT

I will also be ordering 335i w/ xdrive in about 4 months and I am in the same dilemma in regards to 8AT vs MT. My last 6 cars were MT and we have a X3 35i with the 8AT. It's the first AT that I actually like, it actually works really well and is sporty in nature.
This is a really hard decision and I am still very much on the fence, the dealer here in Honolulu doesn't even have a MT on any 335i or 328i I could test drive, much less on an xdrive... (i am moving to MN in 6 months, hence the need for xdrive)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

FWIW, I heard from two dealer SA's that they've seen issues with the Red interior showing signs of premature wear (or color shifting where body parts contact the leather). Also they've heard from customers that the red can come off (slightly) on clothing in certain conditions. i.e. sweaty people who jump in their car.

This is not my personal experience. I have no personal experience with the CR interior. It sure looks nice, but I ordered Black.

As far as the SAT, I drove manual in every car I owned prior to my E90 MSport. Honestly, I don't miss it. I drop the transmission into Sport mode which satisfies most of my occasional desires, and have used the paddles a few times. I just wish the paddles could be setup like Ferrari and some others do. Right paddle be upshift and left paddle be downshift. I prefer to always pull them towards me (grab around back of wheel). I'm not a fan of both paddles doing same action and being forced to pull one and push the other (I think you know what I mean...).

Do the F30 SAT paddles act like my E90? If so, can the dealer re-program them to the left/right setup I mentioned above?
Appreciate 0