F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Should I pull the trigger on a 335 GT? Good family hauler?
ARMA SPEED

12-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #23
countingbackwards
Rep
Drives: 2014 335 GT M-Sport

Those payments are very good for Canada BTW…

It's funny - I just picked up my fairly loaded 2014 335 GT demo from the same dealer just last week - and that blue GT was sitting right in front of the sales rep's desk when I picked up my car, replacing a white on red 328 GT that had been sitting in the same spot when I was working out my deal the week before.

So it seems that this particular dealer is moving a lot of GT's, and regularly stocking 335's. They keep them with the 5-series cars in the showroom, and while the 5-series are a bit more posh inside, the 3GT definitely looks to be a better family car.

In my case…I was choosing between the GT and a 335 sedan - chose the GT because it just made so much more sense given that I'm hauling hockey equipment 10 months out of the year, and also that the demo GT was a better colour and came out cheaper than a new sedan (there aren't many 2014 335's left in Canada equipped how I wanted).

Suffice it to say - love love love the car!! It's got space, power, it drives great, the nav is awesome, the iPod integration is first rate, it looks great…it's a huge upgrade over the RX hybrid I had before.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #24
B Brownburry
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xdr 2011 CAN Spec. Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by countingbackwards View Post
Those payments are very good for Canada BTW…

It's funny - I just picked up my fairly loaded 2014 335 GT demo from the same dealer just last week - and that blue GT was sitting right in front of the sales rep's desk when I picked up my car, replacing a white on red 328 GT that had been sitting in the same spot when I was working out my deal the week before.

So it seems that this particular dealer is moving a lot of GT's, and regularly stocking 335's. They keep them with the 5-series cars in the showroom, and while the 5-series are a bit more posh inside, the 3GT definitely looks to be a better family car.

In my case…I was choosing between the GT and a 335 sedan - chose the GT because it just made so much more sense given that I'm hauling hockey equipment 10 months out of the year, and also that the demo GT was a better colour and came out cheaper than a new sedan (there aren't many 2014 335's left in Canada equipped how I wanted).

Suffice it to say - love love love the car!! It's got space, power, it drives great, the nav is awesome, the iPod integration is first rate, it looks great…it's a huge upgrade over the RX hybrid I had before.

Guess you took the silver demo ?

If yes that's the one I test drove...it's a nice ride! Post pics!

The one I'm buying was ordered in march, built in may, and delivered in september. Maybe the EB colour is not suitable for everyone!

Tell me what's the deal you got on the demo...it's funny that we buy at the same place within 2 weeks or so!

What do you think of the handling-suspension ? If your coming from a lexus I guess it's just better!

Enjoy your new ride!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #25
llscaz
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix gt

lots of comments about car. people like the look, it seems to look different in a good way...nice to be a little different. as much space as large suv's for passengers with more rear leg room than most with much better handling, still a little taller for better vision in traffic. May not handle like m series but still shows bmw breeding, it's just an excellent example of another well made car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #26
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
OP, you asked about real world fuel economy. Just finished a roughly 800 km round trip - at average speeds around 120 km/h I managed 8 l/100 km. This is with the 335 and xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #27
B Brownburry
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
OP, you asked about real world fuel economy. Just finished a roughly 800 km round trip - at average speeds around 120 km/h I managed 8 l/100 km. This is with the 335 and xdrive.
Similar to my E90 335 xdrive!

Other than on long drives what does it get ? City-highway?

Oil prices are going down...regular was 1.40-1.50 two months ago now we're around 1,17...still the highest prices in North america I beleive.

Oh and add 0,10 $ a liter for super
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #28
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Brownburry View Post
Similar to my E90 335 xdrive!

Other than on long drives what does it get ? City-highway?

Oil prices are going down...regular was 1.40-1.50 two months ago now we're around 1,17...still the highest prices in North america I beleive.

Oh and add 0,10 $ a liter for super
On mixed driving - 60% city I get about 11, pure city is 12.3

Not bad given the weight. It sure beats my old X5 (4.8l) that was around 17 in the city.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #29
countingbackwards
Rep

I'm enjoying my F34 so far. It drives a lot better than my Lexus did - it's just much more communicative and direct. Gotta love that inline 6 engine - it just roars, both sonically and in power delivery!

It's got a ton of space - for all practical purposes, it has as much space as my RX did. It actually has a fair bit more leg room, with a bit less height and width to the cargo area (but about the same length). It's quite well designed for tossing hockey equipment in - a nice, easy, low loading height combined with just the perfect length for those wheeled bags and the awesome comfort access option.

So when you combine great functionality, with a great engine, and responsive/communicative driving - this car is a winner. It's also, IMHO, GREAT-looking. But then, I sometimes quite like cars that are polarizing.

So far - I'm doing 11.5L/100km in mostly comfort driving in mixed city/highway winter conditions, on the BMW-supplied 18" winter tires/wheels. It's about 2L more than the Lexus hybrid took in similar conditions - a small price to pay for the thrill of that engine. Hopefully the mileage will improve, but probably not for the next 4 months of frigid winter weather.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #30
B Brownburry
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Delivery tomorrow!

Can't wait!

After the holydays I'll post a complete review of it! We're going to Gaspésie, so within 3 weeks the car will have a bit more than 2000 km.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #31
countingbackwards
Rep

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, I certainly am!! Enjoy the delivery process…it's a lot of fun!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 06:25 AM   #32
B Brownburry
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I have it!

Delivery almost took 3 hours!

It was snowing again yesterday so I haven't really have impressions to share yet!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #33
B Brownburry
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Fisrt (crappy) pic

Hey guys, still haven't driven it much, will do later today. Well I drove it for 2-3 hours in the friday afternoon rush hour + snowfall. Not exactly the best conditions to be in a new car. A bit stressful honestly.

What you see are the 18' wheels they've given me for winter. Not bad.

First impressions :

-Estoril blue is great in person, and (as you can see) gets less dirty during winter than black! (obvious)

-I'm happy about the thing that's most important for me : MUCH easier to install my 14 months old daughter in her seat. The door opening (in height) is way larger than in my E90. I don't have to bend myself in two!

-One thing that is cool : even with one quite large chid seat, I can get the 2 other sections of the rear bench down, it improves the praticality for us. Probably means that we'll be able to seat 2 aldults (for short trips) next to her.

-8 speed auto in traffic is better than 6 speed MT, of course. But still I'll miss shifting. We'll get back to that in another review.

-Eco pro mode in traffic is cool.

-I already took advantage of the giant trunk (GT) to bring some large thing from the office to my home.

-Much smoother on rough road conditions. (good thing)

-The added eight of the seat (ground clearance is similar to my E90 with the Msport) gives a mini-SUV feeling, but it's not "too much". Also easier to get into and out of the car. By the way at the dealer I sat in an I8. It's incredibly difficult to sit in that car.

-2014 doesn't get you blindsport warning, and visibility in the rear seems to be poor (but I haven't driven much yet).

-Can't see how to read text messages with my samsung galaxy S3?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 04:15 AM   #34
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Congrats! I really like the Estoril blue and m-sport combo!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:40 AM   #35
raulza
Rep
Drives: BMW 3GT

Has anyone used the back seats to seat 3 kids? 2 in booster seats and 1 in the middle.... Do you think it's crammed or adequate?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #36
thx217
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' 335iX GT + MPPK

In short. Yes, you should.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #37
countingbackwards
Rep

Brownburry, that is one fine looking automobile. The Estoril blue is a great-looking colour - better to my eyes than the silver that I have. My choice to go with the silver was just to make the car a little less "loud" than the EB cars look - but there's a part of me that wishes I was bold enough to go for visual punch of EB!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #38
B Brownburry
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

The car looks so much better in person! I also always leave the spoiler up, looks better in my opinion.

I luuuuvvv the EB colour, especially that it looks way less dirty than black during winter. It is bold, but it's not like if the car was orange or something!

The car is just perfect for my needs.

Definitely the 3 series to have if you've got young kids, for the back seat.

The hatch is great for just putting stuff in the trunk, so practical.For now i just leave the panels stored underneath the floor. Haven't noticed that it's much noisier...

After the holydays I'll do a full review!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #39
Arktctr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d MSport

We love out 328xiGT and the only real "wish-list" item is that it would have been offered in a Diesel model. Also, the trunk, while wide and deep, isn't very tall so it does fill up quick (i.e. stroller and any sort of Costco run is a challenge)...nothing short of a true SUV or wagon (i.e. without the stylish tapered rear window) would probably fare better though...

2014 328d MSport ED: 5/2/2014
2013 F30 Activehybrid3 MSport (Gone)
2012 F30 328i Sportline (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #40
yilness
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

What are your opinions on the m sport line? Do you think it's worth the extra cost?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #41
NewToBMWGT
Rep
Drives: Astra

Hi everyone

Keen to buy our first GT but how is the GT for getting the kids in / out of their booster seats?

Do you think the seats sit high enough not to break your back? I'm about 6.1 so if it's anything like the normal 3 series that would be certainly a pain the ... back. We're both actually pretty tall.

I love the GT looks and pretty much everything about it. The height is my only worry and thus I'm in between the GT or a Rav4.

Also, how's the trunk for buggies + luggage etc.

Thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:03 AM   #42
WhiteCollarMetalHead
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i GT xDrive

We have 2 kids, 4mo and 1.5yrs so no booster seat experence yet. In general the GT is slightly "higher" than a typical sedan or 3 series but its still "lower" than the modern CUV/SUV regarding entry, you would really need to see for yourself in person if it meets your needs and your backs needs.

Trunk space is great overally, very good actually. With strollers, it depends, the privacy covers limit the height of the space when it comes to srollers /buggies we can fit the smaller car-seat based stroller and a toddler stroller without issue, not much space after for luggage with the privacy covers in place....but when you remove them (they store under the trunk floor) you can pack way more than you would assume back there, provided your're ok with things being in your sight line out the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToBMWGT View Post
Hi everyone

Keen to buy our first GT but how is the GT for getting the kids in / out of their booster seats?

Do you think the seats sit high enough not to break your back? I'm about 6.1 so if it's anything like the normal 3 series that would be certainly a pain the ... back. We're both actually pretty tall.

I love the GT looks and pretty much everything about it. The height is my only worry and thus I'm in between the GT or a Rav4.

Also, how's the trunk for buggies + luggage etc.

Thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #43
KCee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 GT XDrive 2016

I haven't had to deal with a booster seat in a few years, my youngest is 16, but I'm sure an SUV would be much easier height-wise. Also I think most SUV's have a more "useable" trunk for strollers and such than the GT as they are boxier. If you definitely want to drive a car then the GT is a great choice as it has a huge back seat and the hatch can swallow a lot. If saving your back is a priority then I would probably go for a taller SUV type. Years ago I went from a pretty low Acura to a Jeep GC and it was definitely easier hauling my kids around and I was glad made the switch. Now I like the GT as it's a comfortable commuter, easily fits 4 people and even holds all the stuff my oldest brings to college....although we have my wife's SUV for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #44
TIMMY12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328I GT

You should definitely buy it. Its a great car!
Appreciate 0