F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Bilstein B8 + Eibach Pro + Dinan Sway Bars?
GetBMWParts

06-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Bilstein B8 + Eibach Pro + Dinan Sway Bars?

I was thinking about getting the above for my 2013 335i xDrive. I want a minimal drop which seems to be the case with the Eibachs. The stock suspension is definitely too soft and lacks control over bumps. So I want it stiffer and don't want any understeer.

Thoughts and recommendations?
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #2
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i View Post
I was thinking about getting the above for my 2013 335i xDrive. I want a minimal drop which seems to be the case with the Eibachs. The stock suspension is definitely too soft and lacks control over bumps. So I want it stiffer and don't want any understeer.

I think that would be a good setup. The Bilstein B8s are a good match for springs that are a little stiffer and shorter than stock as that is exactly what they are designed to be used with. I did a similar setup on my E90 328i (minus sway bars) and I was extremely pleased. The car definitely absorbed bumps better, was much more controlled on bumpy roads, and it felt like body roll was gone because there was quite a lot less than factory. I was a big fan of the Eibach springs both for their ride height and for their spring rates for aggressive street use. I also found the handling balance was a little less understeery than stock for 2 reasons: front to rear spring rates seemed to be more balanced and the lower ride height adds a little more negative camber to the non-adjustable front end. The factory setup for the front is nearly 0 camber.

I found great results on both E90 and F30 by lowering the car a bit (between 0.5” and 1” in my various 3 series’ over the years), gaining front negative camber via the changed ride height, and using the rear camber adjustment to reduce camber in the back so there is less of a drastic difference between the front and rear ends.

Adding in the sway bars will help neutralize the handling balance more and reduce body roll more at the expense of a little bumpier ride quality.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #3
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i View Post

I think that would be a good setup. The Bilstein B8s are a good match for springs that are a little stiffer and shorter than stock as that is exactly what they are designed to be used with. I did a similar setup on my E90 328i (minus sway bars) and I was extremely pleased. The car definitely absorbed bumps better, was much more controlled on bumpy roads, and it felt like body roll was gone because there was quite a lot less than factory. I was a big fan of the Eibach springs both for their ride height and for their spring rates for aggressive street use. I also found the handling balance was a little less understeery than stock for 2 reasons: front to rear spring rates seemed to be more balanced and the lower ride height adds a little more negative camber to the non-adjustable front end. The factory setup for the front is nearly 0 camber.

I found great results on both E90 and F30 by lowering the car a bit (between 0.5” and 1” in my various 3 series’ over the years), gaining front negative camber via the changed ride height, and using the rear camber adjustment to reduce camber in the back so there is less of a drastic difference between the front and rear ends.

Adding in the sway bars will help neutralize the handling balance more and reduce body roll more at the expense of a little bumpier ride quality.
Thanks for the input!
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Unless you're into motorports like autox or lapping, you may not need the bars for your application. I have a rear dinan bar in my 335 set in the stiffest position. I autox the car and notice that the rear tires don't rollover the edges as much and i have much better front grip. it does nothing for controlling bumps and other irregularities.

If you're car is a dedicated street ride, you may want to skip the bars or do them last. bump control is the the shocks'/struts' job. All the bars do is control the roll to keep the wheels down when in transition.

The dinan bars a quality pieces but they are pricey. I'm still trying to figure out if they are worth the price for my application.

You may be waiting a long time for a set of those B8s so I would recommend BC Racing coilovers. They cost like $1000 with camber plates and you can corner balance the car for optimal handling over whatever surface. I was told by some avid suspension guys that BC racing uses similar internals to bilstein so you wouldn't be making a mistake if you went with this setup. IMO, its good bang for the buck considering these cars handle like beach balls out of the box...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
Unless you're into motorports like autox or lapping, you may not need the bars for your application. I have a rear dinan bar in my 335 set in the stiffest position. I autox the car and notice that the rear tires don't rollover the edges as much and i have much better front grip. it does nothing for controlling bumps and other irregularities.

If you're car is a dedicated street ride, you may want to skip the bars or do them last. bump control is the the shocks'/struts' job. All the bars do is control the roll to keep the wheels down when in transition.

The dinan bars a quality pieces but they are pricey. I'm still trying to figure out if they are worth the price for my application.

You may be waiting a long time for a set of those B8s so I would recommend BC Racing coilovers. They cost like $1000 with camber plates and you can corner balance the car for optimal handling over whatever surface. I was told by some avid suspension guys that BC racing uses similar internals to bilstein so you wouldn't be making a mistake if you went with this setup. IMO, its good bang for the buck considering these cars handle like beach balls out of the box...
I know what sway bars are for. I don't want body roll or understeer.

Tirerack has the rear B8s in stock. The fronts are special order. I guess I better call for availability.
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
nickf30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

Just beware that Bilstein maybe on back ordered for very long time. I had B6 rear shocks installed and was on waiting list for only B6 front right strut. Few months past it was still on back ordered so I ended up ordering KW coilover instead. If you don't want to play the waiting game do yourself a favor pick up a set of Koni Yellow or full coilover kit instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #7
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf30 View Post
Just beware that Bilstein maybe on back ordered for very long time. I had B6 rear shocks installed and was on waiting list for only B6 front right strut. Few months past it was still on back ordered so I ended up ordering KW coilover instead. If you don't want to play the waiting game do yourself a favor pick up a set of Koni Yellow or full coilover kit instead.
Damn, that is a long wait. The Koni yellows was my other choice and I've had them in the past. I never really considered coil overs, but I'll do some research on them.
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 0