F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Issues with the BMW garage because of coding?
ARMA SPEED

08-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
radair
Private
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50

Issues with the BMW garage because of coding?

Hi all,

Has anyone ever had problems with the BMW workshop due to coding?
Do they notice modified FAs or single parameters or do they just overwrite the settings with the VIN defaults?
I'm asking because I'm scared a little bit about loosing the warranty for my car.

Thanks for your feedback!

Greetings
Radair
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by radair View Post
Hi all,

Has anyone ever had problems with the BMW workshop due to coding?
Do they notice modified FAs or single parameters or do they just overwrite the settings with the VIN defaults?
I'm asking because I'm scared a little bit about loosing the warranty for my car.

Thanks for your feedback!

Greetings
Radair
They don't care. Those guys are getting paid squat vs what the dealer is making on the car. The only time they would care is if: 1. You did something to mess up your car and now they have to spend a lot of time "fixing" your broken mess... and 2. If they are some new tech that is trying to impress the boss that he can find modified cars and report them... but typically I wouldn't worry about the coding... now, if you code something and brick your ECU (which shouldn't happen unless you just absolutely can't follow directions), then be prepared to spend a could grand to get a new ECU (that won't be covered under warranty).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Stoofpilot
Naval Aviator
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Your coding will be lost if they need to reset the ECU. I hand to have my IBS cable replaced and it wiped out my coding.
      08-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofpilot
Your coding will be lost if they need to reset the ECU. I hand to have my IBS cable replaced and it wiped out my coding.
Correct. The update process for the garage is simply a overwrite of your current folders. So whatever you coded, if they only update your car, you have to go back and deactivate / activate what you coded. The worst thing that could happen is the version of code written is higher than you have on your coding software, which means a quick pm to Shawn and your back up and running :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #5
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
They don't care. Those guys are getting paid squat vs what the dealer is making on the car. The only time they would care is if: 1. You did something to mess up your car and now they have to spend a lot of time "fixing" your broken mess... and 2. If they are some new tech that is trying to impress the boss that he can find modified cars and report them... but typically I wouldn't worry about the coding... now, if you code something and brick your ECU (which shouldn't happen unless you just absolutely can't follow directions), then be prepared to spend a could grand to get a new ECU (that won't be covered under warranty).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
Correct. The update process for the garage is simply a overwrite of your current folders. So whatever you coded, if they only update your car, you have to go back and deactivate / activate what you coded. The worst thing that could happen is the version of code written is higher than you have on your coding software, which means a quick pm to Shawn and your back up and running :-)
+1 on ^those.

Also before doing anything, read the documentation on coding ()...
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
radair
Private
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50

Good news. :-)

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Greetings
Roland
Appreciate 0