F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 328i vs 335i (F30) In-Car Acceleration Comparison Video
Extreme Powerhouse

08-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #67
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
I say get an N54 335i with full bolt ons and tune, and embarres that M3...
Damn why didn't someone tell me before I wasted all this money on an M3.
Both cars have their definitve purpose... if you're interested in all out straightline racing. There is no current modern day BMW that can beat a single turbo 335...
You sound like you are 15. Nothing can beat a single turbo 335? How about a twin turbo 335?
Oh, you know another modern day BMW that can beat a 700 WHP single turbo 335i? I certainly don't... The G power M5/M6s are the closest thing in my mind and they cost 3 times as much.
      08-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #68
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
I say get an N54 335i with full bolt ons and tune, and embarres that M3...
Took the words out of my mouth I've embarrassed a few while they were "screaming to 8000rpms".
      08-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #69
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine3 View Post
You sound like you are 15. Nothing can beat a single turbo 335? How about a twin turbo 335?
He's referring to a single turbo upgraded 335i. Specifically the Vishnu/FFTEC kit. Stock fuelsystem, stock motor, stock everything but a bigger turbo and manifold to fit it. 650whp on pump gas with methspray. And that's only a 62mm turbo and still has more headroom.

If you've found a 335i that beats that thus far, please point it out. Would love to see it.
      08-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #70
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M
Quote:
Oh, you know another modern day BMW that can beat a 700 WHP single turbo 335i? I certainly don't... The G power M5/M6s are the closest thing in my mind and they cost 3 times as much.

Yes^, any 335 you want to put on the track... as 700hp only translates to DRAG RACING.

Not driving or racing..
Hence why I said straightline a few posts up...
      08-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #71
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M
Quote:
Hence why I said straightline a few posts up...
A minivan can go in a strait line.. fast.

But it will never handle! So, do u see how irrelevant your comments are? A snowmobile can accelerate fast, but they are not driven on our daily roads, so is also irrelevant.

700hp BMW is not impressive.. nore any car, that cannot hit an apex.
you are out if touch with reality if you think that most people's daily commute constitutes of winding turns and apex turns. In the usa at least, almost all roads are long, flat and straight... the usefulness of a car comes with having down low tq for passing.
      08-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #72
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Enough with the pissing contest boys I mean, why not a civic...
http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature...r/viewall.html
Enough with this stupid back and forth... I wonder if the internet would die if you weren't able to argue opinion as fact. I'll take my E90 M3 over any non M variant and am sure will be looking hard at the new F80 M3... Once you go M you never go back
      08-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #73
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

For the record I like the new 4 cylinder turbo engine and I currently own a N54 twin turbo which I think is one of the best engines BMW has ever produced. It sounds great and can put engines much larger then it to a shame. I was very much a NA guy before I drove the N54 twin turbo.

I think the difference overall has shrunk between the acceleration when you compare it against the previous 328i vs 335i. The new 328i is plenty fast and offers good gas mileage.

However, at the same time one can clearly see that the 335i is still faster and the difference becomes huge with rising speeds. None the less I am really liking the new 4 cylinder.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #74
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I always opt for the logical. Like you said, in real world driving, how often will you get to open up a 335i to its full potential. I know there are tracks and stuff, but I like my bones and skin intact. A 328i gives me practicality and that driving pleasure within the normal driving range of a sports sedan. Better gas mileage for the pocket, and the M-Sport looks awesome. I think the fastest I've ever driven any vehicle was my 1997 VW Jetta Manual. Was late for a wedding. I had one 300lb guy in the front seat and two guys in the back. I myself was north of 250lbs. My VW went up to 110mph. Bless her heart. Lost her to a Buick driven by an old lady with thick glasses and a cane.

It's not about top speed. Both the 328i sport and 335i sport will get to 155mph governed.
How fast it can get to a certain speed has value to some drivers.
To others it doesn't matter, and that's cool too.

How often can one open up a 335i, or 328i for that matter, depends on where you live.
If you're a city driver, then not much chance to open up the 335i.
But, if you live where I live, which is a much more open area with lots of rural country and roads, I open up my 135i quite a bit.
So, the answer is not the same for everyone.

In general:

I find that this kind of topic (this vs that) gets filled with comments that are positive justifications for why one bought this version instead of that version.
And then there are comments that ride the edge of negating the other model as if it doesn't somehow live up to one's wants and needs.
All that does is incite the other version owner to post similar comments.
It's part of the defense of self when one feels their decision is being questioned.

There really isn't a reason for anyone to feel that they have to justify their choice of 328i or 335i.
These are both BMW 3 series automobiles, that offer something for all drivers of sport sedans and coupes.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with stating why one bought one version over the other. I am saying that the negative and negating comments towards the other model are not necessary.

Example:
Is the 335i more powerful and faster than the 328i?
Yes, it is. There is no reason to deny it or question it, or make it seem as if it's slight or unnecessary. It's simply an easy test to perform and determine which car is faster.
That appeals to certain people, and those people area willing to pay extra for it.

Does the 328i offer better handling with lighter weight, along with a lower price?
Yes, it does. Testing has confirmed the 328i's better handling balance.
Cost should be clear to anyone who shopped and bought a 3 series.
That appeals to certain people, they are also the majority buyers of 3 series.

People pick their car based on what they want and what satisfies their needs and wants. The logical choice is the one that satisfies practical as well as emotional needs. Both the 328i and 335i have practical and emotional qualities. The 328i is not a logical choice for the driver who wants the highest HP/torque option. The 335i is not a logical choice for the driver who wants the better handling option, or the driver who doesn't want to spend the money on something they won't use.

My point is the new 3 in either US/NA form is an excellent sport sedan choice. Simply acknowledge and accept what each version offers, and that there are drivers who value certain things about each model.
I know it's a lot to ask for, and it's not likely to happen.
I just feel compelled to state it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #75
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
But your still going home with a 335.
That's a bad thing?

Not for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #76
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
It's not about top speed. Both the 328i sport and 335i sport will get to 155mph governed.
How fast it can get to a certain speed has value to some drivers.
To others it doesn't matter, and that's cool too.

How often can one open up a 335i, or 328i for that matter, depends on where you live.
If you're a city driver, then not much chance to open up the 335i.
But, if you live where I live, which is a much more open area with lots of rural country and roads, I open up my 135i quite a bit.
So, the answer is not the same for everyone.

In general:

I find that this kind of topic (this vs that) gets filled with comments that are positive justifications for why one bought this version instead of that version.
And then there are comments that ride the edge of negating the other model as if it doesn't somehow live up to one's wants and needs.
All that does is incite the other version owner to post similar comments.
It's part of the defense of self when one feels their decision is being questioned.

There really isn't a reason for anyone to feel that they have to justify their choice of 328i or 335i.
These are both BMW 3 series automobiles, that offer something for all drivers of sport sedans and coupes.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with stating why one bought one version over the other. I am saying that the negative and negating comments towards the other model are not necessary.

Example:
Is the 335i more powerful and faster than the 328i?
Yes, it is. There is no reason to deny it or question it, or make it seem as if it's slight or unnecessary. It's simply an easy test to perform and determine which car is faster.
That appeals to certain people, and those people area willing to pay extra for it.

Does the 328i offer better handling with lighter weight, along with a lower price?
Yes, it does. Testing has confirmed the 328i's better handling balance.
Cost should be clear to anyone who shopped and bought a 3 series.
That appeals to certain people, they are also the majority buyers of 3 series.

People pick their car based on what they want and what satisfies their needs and wants. The logical choice is the one that satisfies practical as well as emotional needs. Both the 328i and 335i have practical and emotional qualities. The 328i is not a logical choice for the driver who wants the highest HP/torque option. The 335i is not a logical choice for the driver who wants the better handling option, or the driver who doesn't want to spend the money on something they won't use.

My point is the new 3 in either US/NA form is an excellent sport sedan choice. Simply acknowledge and accept what each version offers, and that there are drivers who value certain things about each model.
I know it's a lot to ask for, and it's not likely to happen.
I just feel compelled to state it.
Well said
      08-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #77
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Dear BMW AG, please give us, the customers in United States of America, an I6 variant, called the 330i.

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #78
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmontic71 View Post
Awesome videos. You can really see the power difference at higher speeds...
That's my impression. The 328 I drove was FAST up to 95-100mph, but you could tell the 335 was really gonna walk it at higher speeds.

IMO, I'd probably go with the 328, frankly. It's a lot of motor.

If you look from the 335 vid @100km/h, over to the 328 vid, the 328 is at 100km/h by the time you can focus on the speedo. virtually negligible, especially considering the economy difference -- I think the economy of the 328 is nothing short of amazing.

That said, the purchase price difference between the two is fairly small, unless you're the kind of person that needs a new car every 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #79
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
. . . virtually negligible. . .
One second less in 0-60 is huge in drag racing terms and viscerally. The faster car will be roughly 100 feet ahead by the time the slower car gets there.

Of course, faced with a fast car, the 335 will be this much or more behind - quick is relative and there is always someone quicker.

Whether this matters to you is up to the individual, but the cars are not similar in acceleration. Both are, however, quick enough to satisfy most drivers.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #80
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
One second less in 0-60 is huge in drag racing terms and viscerally. The faster car will be roughly 100 feet ahead by the time the slower car gets there.

Of course, faced with a fast car, the 335 will be this much or more behind - quick is relative and there is always someone quicker.

Whether this matters to you is up to the individual, but the cars are not similar in acceleration. Both are, however, quick enough to satisfy most drivers.
What percentage of BMW owners plop down $50,000 to race their BMWs?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #81
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What percentage of BMW owners plop down $50,000 to race their BMWs?
Ouch. That's a kinda defensive retort.

He's simply giving a reference, that most enthusiasts would recognize.
His post had a balanced viewpoint on either version of 3.
I say that there are plenty of BMW drivers who drive fast, and simply want the extra power, otherwise, why does BMW build different power versions of their cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #82
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ouch. That's a kinda defensive retort.

He's simply giving a reference, that most enthusiasts would recognize.
His post had a balanced viewpoint on either version of 3.
I say that there are plenty of BMW drivers who drive fast, and simply want the extra power, otherwise, why does BMW build different power versions of their cars?
No ouch. It wasn't defensive. It was a genuine question. I really do want to know. I think it would be interesting. "Street" i.e. non-professional racing is a world that I've only seen in movies. Obviously 0-60 times are VERY important to some people. Just wonder if it's because they are involved in racing or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #83
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Obviously 0-60 times are VERY important to some people. Just wonder if it's because they are involved in racing or not.
I can't answer why so many here appear obsessed with performance specifications, especially 0-60 times and distance to brake. Neither aspect of these cars is going to hold you back in even aggressive street driving.

These cars make lousy drag racing machines for a variety of reasons. This is not a criticism of the car; they simply are not made to do this well and there are much better choices and for less money. If one is serious about drag racing, an F30 is a dreadful choice.

As you probably know, horsepower is addictive. Even worse, like other addictions, you quickly become accustomed to what you have - and need more.

I suspect it comes down to a desire to claim "My car is faster" and other bench racing needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #84
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No ouch. It wasn't defensive. It was a genuine question. I really do want to know. I think it would be interesting. "Street" i.e. non-professional racing is a world that I've only seen in movies. Obviously 0-60 times are VERY important to some people. Just wonder if it's because they are involved in racing or not.
What specifically do you want to know?

Is it why do some of us want the higher powered 335i?

It isn't about racing.

But I'll answer what your curious about as to why I chose the 335i over the 328i, after all that's what this is about.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #85
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What specifically do you want to know?

Is it why do some of us want the higher powered 335i?

It isn't about racing.

But I'll answer what your curious about as to why I chose the 335i over the 328i, after all that's what this is about.

I guess we can take a poll of how many people who purchase BMWs purchase them with the intention of tracking them.....in addition to using them as their mode of transportation. Not necessarily their only mode. Because so many people in these forums ARE interested in modding their cars with performance parts and tuning chips, etc.

These cars are expensive because of their quality and already good performers without mods. So, I find it interesting that at $50,000, do people really mod their cars for competition purposes. It seems odd to do all the mods just go to 80 down I-95.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #86
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean335i View Post
If you are going to do it, go all the way and get the F80 M3 which will blow both F30s out of the water.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #87
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

there's something called the driver mod. some guys in low hp cars will dust ppl with high hp cars on the track.

and there will always be a car out there faster than you.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #88
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
there's something called the driver mod. some guys in low hp cars will dust ppl with high hp cars on the track.

and there will always be a car out there faster than you.
That's true.
And there are those who have higher powered cars and have the skills to drive them. Those are the drivers out front of the also good drivers with less power.
Depends on the track too.
Some tracks don't have a configuration to allow a higher powered car to use it's power advantage.
Appreciate 0