F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Maybe I should have got the Adaptive Sport Suspension... :(
proTUNING Freaks

02-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #67
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Everybody keeps saying it's stiffer anecdotally, but I've not seen any real data.
BMW don't appear very forth coming when it comes to specific data, particularly in the public domain.

But when you read the technical articles on VDC/CDC and look at some of the graphs, it does appear because a system is adaptive, the valving can allow the damping to be more restricted in the sport mode. I've seen a graph where Audi set their VDC to be firmer in the sport setting, but as it is adaptive, it only needs to be stiffer in dynamic situations where it will firm up more than a passive sport system.

As others have said the feel is different, as it will be. Those who have tested the two suspensions (including some of the motor mags) report the same, "feels stiffer in sport" comments. Then we would expect it to be, as the whole concept of VDC is "soft where possible, firm where necessary". As one poster has implied, when you work it, it then shows its abilities.

The only ways to really know if the default (stiff) valving is set firmer than the passive sport valving, is wait until we can get some data from BMW, some third party, or some testing. Disconnect the electrics (or fuses) on a VDC system to get the default (closed valve) setting and into a 'passive' sport mode, and back to back with a sport setup, or remove the dampers and get on a test machine.

I know my brother in laws Jaguar XJ had an active suspension fault, where it defaulted to the firmest damper valve setting. He had to use it a couple of days like it. That was one firm ride, definitely harder than any sport setting you'd want for a road car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #68
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
BMW don't appear very forth coming when it comes to specific data, particularly in the public domain.

But when you read the technical articles on VDC/CDC and look at some of the graphs, it does appear because a system is adaptive, the valving can allow the damping to be more restricted in the sport mode. I've seen a graph where Audi set their VDC to be firmer in the sport setting, but as it is adaptive, it only needs to be stiffer in dynamic situations where it will firm up more than a passive sport system.

As others have said the feel is different, as it will be. Those who have tested the two suspensions (including some of the motor mags) report the same, "feels stiffer in sport" comments. Then we would expect it to be, as the whole concept of VDC is "soft where possible, firm where necessary". As one poster has implied, when you work it, it then shows its abilities.

The only ways to really know if the default (stiff) valving is set firmer than the passive sport valving, is wait until we can get some data from BMW, some third party, or some testing. Disconnect the electrics (or fuses) on a VDC system to get the default (closed valve) setting and into a 'passive' sport mode, and back to back with a sport setup, or remove the dampers and get on a test machine.

I know my brother in laws Jaguar XJ had an active suspension fault, where it defaulted to the firmest damper valve setting. He had to use it a couple of days like it. That was one firm ride, definitely harder than any sport setting you'd want for a road car.

HighlandPete
The reason I'm confused is I saw a post on a UK 1 Series forum where a guy posted that a query directly to BMW about the adaptive vs passive yielded a reply that they were the same in Sport Mode. And another guy said a BMW engineer told him the same thing at some track event.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I thought I felt a stiffer ride while testing a F30 car with the different modes, and then after the fact found out the car didn't have adaptive--hence the placebo effect.

It's a moot point for me as I opted for the passive knowing I'd always be in the Sport mode anyway. But if it really is, then next time around I would consider it more seriously.
      02-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #69
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Luckily I was able to add the adaptive suspension last minute to my order. Now the wait continues.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #70
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

I did a ton of research prior to ordering my yet to be delivered vehicle. Only 3 magazines talked about the NEED to have the adaptive. Two were UK based and the other was Australia's Wheels magazine.

I was already spending way above my budget for the 320i to get into the 328i but i figured the stretch was worth it for the 328i. I thought long and hard about the adaptive as Wheels panned the car without it. They felt the A4 and C250 were dynamically superior to the 328i standard suspension.

So i ticked the box. Interesting to hear my decision validated on the forum.

On test , i didnt get to fang the car around sweeping bends but found the std setup to be ok.

Wheels slammed the std setup again for the COTY edition in the january 2013 issue. They said it was disingenuous of BMW to send them 5 vehicles (the entire range of engines down under) and have 4 with adaptive and only the 320i with std for coty evaluation.

They said adaptive should be standard issue for australia. I get the feeling if it was standard that they would have given the coty gong to the F30 (though the twins might have still been tough to beat).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #71
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

CKau: You won't regret getting the Adaptive Suspension. All cars should come with this feature. I also have it on my GTI.
      02-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #72
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
CKau: You won't regret getting the Adaptive Suspension. All cars should come with this feature. I also have it on my GTI.
+1.

Adaptive is great. You must get M Sport suspension as a minimum IMO, but adaptive is the best of both worlds.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #73
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
I did a ton of research prior to ordering my yet to be delivered vehicle. Only 3 magazines talked about the NEED to have the adaptive. Two were UK based and the other was Australia's Wheels magazine.

I was already spending way above my budget for the 320i to get into the 328i but i figured the stretch was worth it for the 328i. I thought long and hard about the adaptive as Wheels panned the car without it. They felt the A4 and C250 were dynamically superior to the 328i standard suspension.

So i ticked the box. Interesting to hear my decision validated on the forum.

On test , i didnt get to fang the car around sweeping bends but found the std setup to be ok.

Wheels slammed the std setup again for the COTY edition in the january 2013 issue. They said it was disingenuous of BMW to send them 5 vehicles (the entire range of engines down under) and have 4 with adaptive and only the 320i with std for coty evaluation.

They said adaptive should be standard issue for australia. I get the feeling if it was standard that they would have given the coty gong to the F30 (though the twins might have still been tough to beat).
All those magazines are right. The standard suspension is terrible if you like sporty tight handling.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0