F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ECU Explorer Review (Modifying VMax and other locked DME parameters) [In Progress]
ARMA SPEED

02-11-2016, 12:56 AM   #45
Fx323i
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: E39 535i

Hi Cryptocar,
so this software does not have an option to open and save modified dumps? That sucks... Are you completely sure about it?

If you were that kind and tried it, I would really appreciate it. I have the files on hand and can send them to you for your test...

Martin
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 03:49 AM   #46
Fx323i
Czech_Republic
Rep

Mods: I am sorry for double-posting, but I am not sure if Cryptocar would get an announcement if I only edited my last post.

I tried to open the ECU Explorer with my BMW Explorer dongle, so I went through the menu (I do not have the license, so I can not do it myself) and found out, it should be possible by this:

Device -> Tricore - SAK-TC1797 - open EEPROM, which is stored at your computer and edit it. It should be possible this way in my opinion. Please let me know, we are a bit desperate I need to say.

EDIT6: I did a bit of research myself and tried to give you some more accurate information, but at the end I found out that the diagram you posted is correct. The only thing comes up in my mind is the way you work with the boot mode pin. Do you keep it grounded all the time when attempting to read? Is it connected to the ground before powering up?

Maybe the update will solve your problem because there is a higher protection on ECUs from 2011 on, it has something to do with PWD read command.

EDIT: I have attached the EEPROM memory from that unit in the ZIP file for your testing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 000007D0031D01-00000DA6595A05.zip (5.8 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by Fx323i; 02-11-2016 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #47
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
I will take a look at this again today when I'm back in front of my computer.
If I don't post back by tonight just PM me I've been swamped with stuff recently and keep forgetting about certain things, sorry I'm more than willing to help just busy right now.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #48
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Crytocar if your not sure about the pinout, pm your last 7 of your vin and pull the wiring diagram for your DME.

I also a natively speaking Russian friend, whose down to help me. So if we need to email the guys back in Russia were covered.

Let's make this happen boys!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #49
Fx323i
Czech_Republic
Rep

cryptocar: Thank you very much. I know the situation, I am kind of busy in the same way. Will try to PM you, just please let me know how much time from now should I send it. Here it is 9 PM and I do not know what is the exact time difference :-)

tifosielia: The pinout seems to be OK since it is the same at different information sources, but we could give it a try. I also have an access to ISTA, WDS etc., so this could be a way to go (at least to check if the pins on the ECU are what they should be).

The same pinout is on various websited even for VVDI and other interfaces, so I expect it to be OK. Unless - since the interface is a prewired connector, there might be some different pinout used.

So far I can see:
ECU - OBD
42, 46 (+12V) <-> 1 (+12V from power source as mentioned in Avtotools website)
1 (GND) <-> 4 (chassis ground), 5 (signal ground) + GND outside
44 (CAN H) <-> 6 (CAN H)
45 (CAN L) <-> 14 (CAN L)
      02-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #50
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx323i
cryptocar: Thank you very much. I know the situation, I am kind of busy in the same way. Will try to PM you, just please let me know how much time from now should I send it. Here it is 9 PM and I do not know what is the exact time difference :-)

tifosielia: The pinout seems to be OK since it is the same at different information sources, but we could give it a try. I also have an access to ISTA, WDS etc., so this could be a way to go (at least to check if the pins on the ECU are what they should be).

The same pinout is on various websited even for VVDI and other interfaces, so I expect it to be OK. Unless - since the interface is a prewired connector, there might be some different pinout used.

So far I can see:
ECU - OBD
44 (CAN H) <-> 6 (CAN H)
I also picked up some other equipment Kess+KTAG which should allow me to access the DME in the same way (enter bootmode to dump/write the rom, but no built in calculators for the hour counter, VIN, and ISN) but I've decided to probably Just hold off my own attempts on my DME now because I'm having mine flash tuned by ACF at the end of the month. I may give it one more shot next week but I think my experiment is coming to an end since I don't have access to a DME I can test with anymore.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #51
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx323i View Post

So far I can see:
ECU - OBD
44 (CAN H) <-> 6 (CAN H)
Decoded to ASCII at first glance looks like pretty useless cryptic data, was going to post a picture but now i just realized i can see all the info laid out in an odd format, Your full VIN was the dead giveaway, its not easy to read as is, but I'm going to keep going though and trying to extract what I can and try some other features of the software as well.

What specific DME variant do you have? i opened this in the tricore mode which encompasses lots of different variants.
To properly edit the hex files with the VIN, ISN, Hour counter, etc calculators I think we need to open in the specific tab for that DME variant

I'm gonna be taking another break now got to head out with the wife for a while, but i think I may be able to help you, I'll check later tonight or tomorrow at the latest.
For times I'm UTC -6 (right now at least) hopefully that will ease communication.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #52
Fx323i
Czech_Republic
Rep

cryptocar: Thank you very much.

Car: 640i F13
Engine: N55
ECU:Bosch MEVD172Y
Controller: Infineon Tricore TC1797

If you would like me to check for the pinout of your DME, please PM me with the last 7 digits of your VIN number, I'll try to do my best.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #53
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx323i View Post
cryptocar: Thank you very much.

Car: 640i F13
Engine: N55
ECU:Bosch MEVD172Y
Controller: Infineon Tricore TC1797

If you would like me to check for the pinout of your DME, please PM me with the last 7 digits of your VIN number, I'll try to do my best.
I PM'd my VIN
We've got the same DME variant and the 640 N55 is identical to mine.
I don't really know how to proceed from here since we can't select MEVD1972Y from the drop-down like a couple other MEVD1792 variants, PM me and we can chat via email or skype, since I'm not gonna go posting your ISN on the forum lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:58 AM   #54
Fx323i
Czech_Republic
Rep

Hi, I have no PM in my inbox...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 10:53 PM   #55
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok so this is basically my last time to try this, I pulled my manifold and DME today and the DME is sitting on my bench.
I will probably not be doing anything today (18th) but will try tomorrow (19th).
If anyone has any last suggestions please post them and I'll give them a try.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:02 PM   #56
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
Ok so this is basically my last time to try this, I pulled my manifold and DME today and the DME is sitting on my bench.
I will probably not be doing anything today (18th) but will try tomorrow (19th).

You see ACF's latest record? F-N NUTS!!!! I'm excited for you!! .. ..

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 02:36 AM   #57
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz
Quote:

You see ACF's latest record? F-N NUTS!!!! I'm excited for you!! .. ..

I won't be anywhere near that for several reasons but WOW. 647whp from an N55!! That's a stage2 Turbo S55 killer!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #58
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Any news ?
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #59
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

that's kind of nuts. I'll be happy to hit 400/400 at the Enzo dyno.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #60
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
You prob are, free up your schedule and we go to Dynojet with the group of guys. We trying to go soon.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #61
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
You prob are, free up your schedule and we go to Dynojet with the group of guys. We trying to go soon.
I need to get tuned first! What weekend were you guys planning? I couldn't keep track in thread :-)

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #62
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
E85 with a PS2 and a good flash 450WHP on a mustang or mainline dyno (like Enzo's) is easy.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #63
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzzz
Any news ?
If this is directed at me I finally gave up the ECU explorer testing since I now know that it is incompatible with my ECU. It might work with other ECUs but not mine and I don't feel like using this somewhat sketchy tool on any of my clients ECUs. It's for sale if anyone wants it.
Also basically everything ECU explorer does is possible and much more because I have professional tuner tools now.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 02:16 AM   #64
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
If this is directed at me I finally gave up the ECU explorer testing since I now know that it is incompatible with my ECU. It might work with other ECUs but not mine and I don't feel like using this somewhat sketchy tool on any of my clients ECUs. It's for sale if anyone wants it.
Also basically everything ECU explorer does is possible and much more because I have professional tuner tools now.
ok tnx
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 05:37 AM   #65
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
What a the time lock?
      07-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #66
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
What a the time lock?
The time lock I was referring to earlier in this post was the DME hour counter that starts when the car is first powered on, usually in Germany.
For the first 10 hours of the DME being powered on there are several functions in the DME ECU that can be altered via ESys, this includes, the VIN, the ISN(password for creating keys), the mileage, the engine variant (change 335i output to a 640i output same engine different maps), catalytic converter monitoring, and finally VMax (max speed).
The timer begins as soon as the car is turned on and once it elapses 10 hours, usually long before an end user takes control of their car (Euro Delivery excluded), none of these values can be easily changed in ESys by just changing the FDL coding for the functions. The timer can only be reset using specialized tools, ECU Explorer is one example of one of these tools.
Appreciate 0