F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Retrofitting Navigation Professional (NBT) to car w/o Nav & Enhanced-BT
Studio RSR

10-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Retrofitting Navigation Professional (NBT) to car w/o Nav & Enhanced-BT

Hi guys,
I never opted for the nav in the first place as I didnīt feel it was necessary or worth it for me, but I found a guy selling the following at over half the price of what it would have costed opting for it when I ordered:

"Set includes:

NBT head unit
8.8" CID HD screen
iDrive controller with Media button

NBT is the newest multimedia system with 200GB HDD.
Fit: BMW 1er, 3er F20, F30, F31, F35

Manufacture date: 02/2013

Part no: Ci 9 311 035 01"

So my question is, if I get this kit, what would the next step be in getting it installed, is it plug and play and what about the software that probably needs to be updated: would my bmw dealer do it or will they reject it? And what If I get this up and running, how will my dealer treat the car when its taken in for warranty issues or software updates etc?

Anyone that has retrofitted nav or enhanced-BT is welcome to share their experience on how things have gone with the dealers afterwards..

And another question, I missed ordering the enhanced-BT with audio streaming, is that included with this kit or is there a separate combox unit for it?

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Really, no one?

| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Hey btw, the F31 was first out with the NBT meaning if I would have chosen the nav thats what I would get. So in theory, the trouble this guy in your link got, going from CIC to NBT, shouldnt apply to my car or? I mean mine should more or less be "ready" for the NBT or at least have some variant of it? I checked my trunk, didnt find any combox or anything, which naturally is because its incorporated in the NBT for the f31. What if i would have chosen the enhanced BT but no nav whatsoever, would they then put in a seperate combox or would i still have the NBT unit but with its functions coded off?

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

If your car is really stripped -no Nav, no Bluetooth, no USB- then retrofitting the NBT should be less complicated than the install in that link.

You still will need additional parts -microphone, USB port, cabling, antennas- and coding to complete the retrofit, though.

Please contact forum vendor BimmerTech for additional details. They may be able to get you all the additional parts and code the unit once installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Hey btw, the F31 was first out with the NBT meaning if I would have chosen the nav thats what I would get. So in theory, the trouble this guy in your link got, going from CIC to NBT, shouldnt apply to my car or? I mean mine should more or less be "ready" for the NBT or at least have some variant of it? I checked my trunk, didnt find any combox or anything, which naturally is because its incorporated in the NBT for the f31. What if i would have chosen the enhanced BT but no nav whatsoever, would they then put in a seperate combox or would i still have the NBT unit but with its functions coded off?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If your car is really stripped -no Nav, no Bluetooth, no USB- then retrofitting the NBT should be less complicated than the install in that link.

You still will need additional parts -microphone, USB port, cabling, antennas- and coding to complete the retrofit, though.

Please contact forum vendor BimmerTech for additional details. They may be able to get you all the additional parts and code the unit once installed.
Thanks for the reply! Well its not that stripped, I do have the usb and standard BT but not the enhanced one. I will check it up with him!

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Napix
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dA XD Touring 2014

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Well its not that stripped, I do have the usb and standard BT but not the enhanced one. I will check it up with him!
Any progress on this? I too have been looking to retrofit NBT and from what I read we are in the same situation. I haven't found much information about what needs to be done and how much work it actually will be. But as you, no combox in the trunk, already have a USB-port and Bluetooth (coded enhanced Bluetooth). What I'm thinking... Replacing the display, head unit and controller (shouldn't be to difficult), gps-antenna (some wiring work if you want it in the shark fin), some coding. What else?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napix View Post
Any progress on this? I too have been looking to retrofit NBT and from what I read we are in the same situation. I haven't found much information about what needs to be done and how much work it actually will be. But as you, no combox in the trunk, already have a USB-port and Bluetooth (coded enhanced Bluetooth). What I'm thinking... Replacing the display, head unit and controller (shouldn't be to difficult), gps-antenna (some wiring work if you want it in the shark fin), some coding. What else?
I kind of gave up ok it after I realized you would need the antenna and do some wiring from the roof. Not so keen on having my interior ripped up, worried for less attractive consequences like rattles and stuff. But also feared warranties would be voided. I mean if I take it in for service or want an update or whatever, would they diss it or treat it as a factory install etc.. Too many unknown factors for me, maybe Im too chicken but if you still will go through with it then please share your experience

Edit: coded enhanced BT? You mean like office etc? And "if" you want the gps-antenna in the shark fin, are thete other options?

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
juniortabak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Hi Guys,

I have the same Q i will get my new M135I in 2 mount and in Israel the upgrade to the NBT is $8500. so as you all can understand i didn't upgrade.
but i did upgrade to the Bluetooth audio and will have USB and the antenna on the roof.
i would like to know if i can order from eBay or any dealer and do the installed by my self and coded the unit in BMW dealer?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
I kind of gave up ok it after I realized you would need the antenna and do some wiring from the roof. Not so keen on having my interior ripped up, worried for less attractive consequences like rattles and stuff. But also feared warranties would be voided. I mean if I take it in for service or want an update or whatever, would they diss it or treat it as a factory install etc.. Too many unknown factors for me, maybe Im too chicken but if you still will go through with it then please share your experience

Edit: coded enhanced BT? You mean like office etc? And "if" you want the gps-antenna in the shark fin, are thete other options?
NBT is straight up plug and play for base cars with no navigation to start off with.
You can buy a gps antenna like this so you dont have to rewire to your antenna.

Follow this thread:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...1#post15062213

my and aritaurus installed NBT into our cars and mine was tested working fully, his....not so much
minus the fact i need to fsc code navigation
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
NBT is straight up plug and play for base cars with no navigation to start off with.
You can buy a gps antenna like this so you dont have to rewire to your antenna.

Follow this thread:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...1#post15062213

my and aritaurus installed NBT into our cars and mine was tested working fully, his....not so much
minus the fact i need to fsc code navigation
Wow, this is really great to hear!
First the antenna, where do u put it? And then I'm wondering bout cables to plug into the NBT, the head unit I mentioned would only come with the screen and controller, no wires or nothing. What would I need and where can I get?

And what about service updates etc, warranties n stuff?

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow, this is really great to hear!
First the antenna, where do u put it? And then I'm wondering bout cables to plug into the NBT, the head unit I mentioned would only come with the screen and controller, no wires or nothing. What would I need and where can I get?

And what about service updates etc, warranties n stuff?
for the gps antenna i linked you... its up to you where you want to put it. i just sticky taped it right behind the screen so its out of the way and no one can really see it.

if you have HU_Enty (basic no nav unit and small 6.5 inch screen) the wire for the small screen can be used with the NBT screen.

the wire for the controller knob also uses the pre existing wire so you really dont need anything besides the canbus filter to activate navigation.

I will have it full write up for the DIY for both basic idrive (HU_Entry) and navigation cars (HU_CIC) once we figure out how to fully get the ones with navigation working.

once you got everything plugged in, all you need to do is VO code your car (if you're fmailiar with coding).
Add 609 and 6NK to your VO list and flash HU_NBT + Kombi and you should be good.
Thats what i did and everything worked except navigation which oyu will need to PM shawnsheridan for the FSB code to get your region maps installed.

obviously though your warranty is voided once you do this. unless every time you go back to the dealer you want to unplug the unit and swap back to the original one that came with the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #12
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
for the gps antenna i linked you... its up to you where you want to put it. i just sticky taped it right behind the screen so its out of the way and no one can really see it.

if you have HU_Enty (basic no nav unit and small 6.5 inch screen) the wire for the small screen can be used with the NBT screen.

the wire for the controller knob also uses the pre existing wire so you really dont need anything besides the canbus filter to activate navigation.

I will have it full write up for the DIY for both basic idrive (HU_Entry) and navigation cars (HU_CIC) once we figure out how to fully get the ones with navigation working.

once you got everything plugged in, all you need to do is VO code your car (if you're fmailiar with coding).
Add 609 and 6NK to your VO list and flash HU_NBT + Kombi and you should be good.
Thats what i did and everything worked except navigation which oyu will need to PM shawnsheridan for the FSB code to get your region maps installed.

obviously though your warranty is voided once you do this. unless every time you go back to the dealer you want to unplug the unit and swap back to the original one that came with the car.
I see, thank you very much for the info and I canīt wait to see the DIY! Since we have a two year warranty Iīll put this project on hold for a year, but I will definetely do this

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #13
Napix
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dA XD Touring 2014

Quote:

Wow, this is great to hear. Almost sounds to good to be true I'll wait for the write up.

Regarding the warranty I asked my dealer about it if retrofitting navigaiton. The answer was, "In practical terms, you can retrofit anything on the car, but if an error occurs related to a retrofit detail, factory warranty will no apply."

Sorry for the bad translation :P
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napix View Post
Wow, this is great to hear. Almost sounds to good to be true I'll wait for the write up.

Regarding the warranty I asked my dealer about it if retrofitting navigaiton. The answer was, "In practical terms, you can retrofit anything on the car, but if an error occurs related to a retrofit detail, factory warranty will no apply."

Sorry for the bad translation :P
In a nutshell, they don't care as long you can return it to them the way it came from the factory

By the way, my car is on lease but I know how to revert everything back before bringing it back in for service.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Quote:
It would be amazing if you could write up the instructions for the HU_Entry once you have it sorted. I am considering doing this ATM and that is my spec of car (awaiting delivery). Depends on how much less than the original option price this comes in at.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
It would be amazing if you could write up the instructions for the HU_Entry once you have it sorted. I am considering doing this ATM and that is my spec of car (awaiting delivery). Depends on how much less than the original option price this comes in at.

Thanks
For HU_Entry it is actually a lot easier to retrofit this unit than coming form a car with HU_CIC.
from that i saw from both of our cars that we are working on, the HU_Entry and HU_NBT have a very very identical design in terms of the connections in the back.

Key difference:
1) HU_Entry ans HU_NBT both have 2 radio connections one for AM (white) and one for FM (black). where as HU_CIC only has one (black) for both AM and FM. so coming from CIC, you wont get AM unless you do some more custom cabling.
2) HU_CIC has a separate combox (cmb_media) in the trunk where NBT has the combox built into the unit itself so you get all the functions of combox (stereo bluetooth and whatnot) with NBT.
3) cars with CIC have bluetooth, armrest USB, armrest AUX and bluetooth USB wire from the armrest into the combox so there has to be some custom cabling to run from the combox back to the NBT when installing it.

Problems that we are still trying to resolve:
1) we can't get bluetooth to work on the retrofitted units. In theory, it should work because bluetooth is built into the NBT but it doesnt, dont know why yet.
2) the pinouts for USB plug that go into the head unit is different on NBT/CIC/Entry so im still trying to figure out how to rewire the usb plug.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #17
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post

Thanks
Here i made a DIY thread

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921688
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #18
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Brilliant. Thanks man
Appreciate 0