F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > C43 Vs 335xi
GetBMWParts

01-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #23
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
They are in the X2. It will have a high output 2.0 that will put down around 300hp. It will be the X2 35i
We'll see. Reported an X2M i35 I found, with the 300hp. That's not THAT high strung compared to the MB. With a mild tune, mine likely is gross 280hp.
      01-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #24
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
Stock is about what, 355-375hp? I don't hang out on those forums but I tend to believe they weren't over engineered past what they already have as stock power and planned on surviving for years. They sound stressed bone stock at that power level imo.
Hardly!

400hp is nothing for that MB V6.
      01-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #25
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Man these are some pretty respectable numbers!
      01-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #26
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

My issue with the MB is it's portly weight. You can feel it when you drive on all the C class models.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #27
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Hardly!

Since when is the MBZ CLA AMG45 a V6?? It's a turbo four wound up to about 375hp.
      01-26-2018, 02:03 PM   #28
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
Quote:
Hardly!

Since when is the MBZ CLA AMG45 a V6?? It's a turbo four wound up to about 375hp.
He's talking about the c43
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #29
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Gotcha..had 2 different things going here. Thanks.
      01-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #30
Mike5215
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Coupe

The forum rules say I have to make a post (and wait an hour) to become a member, so here it is. I've driven Mercedes exclusively for the past ten years. Three S Class, and most recently a '16 C300. (I wanted something smaller and lighter). I must have test driven a dozen C450s (now rebadged as a C43) and I could not pull the trigger. They ride like crap, and not in a fun, sporty way. More like a "WTF?" way. The exhaust note is kind of cool in small doses, but you can't escape it. At highway speeds between the flinty ride that heaves on every expansion joint, the excessive wind noise and the exhaust drone... no thanks.

Maybe you could drown out the racket with the "Burmester" audio system but it's actually cobbled together with a bunch of off-the-rack Harman/Kardon stuff and may be the cheapest sounding audio system I've ever had in any car. But I was a Mercedes guy, so I had a C300 built, loaded, with AirMatic. Then I put $4k into the audio system (http://www.w205audio.wordpress.com). And replaced the run-flats with MPSS. I was a pretty happy guy, and I knew it was going back after 36 months anyway so whatever. Then the interior started creaking. Everywhere. At 3000 miles. The color wore through the leather on the driver's seat, then it got rear-ended ($14k hit) so I was kind of over it.

My wife and I were planning a road trip from Florida to NY last summer and I didn't want to take the Benz, so on a whim I drove to the airport looking for a convertible to rent. They had a Mustang and a pair of 430i 'verts. So obviously the BMW it was.

I know zero about BMWs. No idea what "430" meant, the drivetrain specs, nothing. I remember thinking it was smooth so it probably had a slick V6. Like I said, zero. All I knew was the top went up and down. I parked it, packed it for the trip the following day and didn't give it a second thought.

But by the second day of the trip I knew I was in trouble. The valet brought it around and my heart skipped a little. Really good looking car. Then I realized how well it did...everything. It drove so much better than the C. Rock solid and much quieter. Better pick-up, better exhaust note, super smooth, tight handling. I was stunned to learn it had a T4 and not a 6. The base audio system sounded better than the C with $4,000 worth of Focal, Audison and JL gear in it.

Anyway, as soon as I got home I pawned the C off on one of my kids to run out the lease and ordered a 430i Coupe with a 6 Speed, loaded up with everything but the Track Package. (I drove the 440, but I liked the 430 just as much.) I took delivery this past November and its hands down one of the nicest cars I've ever owned. I haven't had to do a lot to it. I got it on 18's since I wasn't sure how it would ride on 19" RF but quickly realized it wouldn't be a problem, so now it's on staggered 19" M4 reps with MPSS.

I did tint all around (after the pic) and replaced the 4" Harman/Kardon main cabin speakers with Morels. (The HK speakers sounded fine, but it felt wrong to leave it stock.) It blows me away every time I drive it. Plus it plays hi-res 24 bit audio right from a USB stick.

I wasn't crazy about the trim options so I picked up a spare set on Ebay and had it wrapped in a dark CF.

On the subject of a C450/43 vs a 440, or a C63s vs an M3 or M4, it's not apples to apples. The BMW is a real car. I'd have no qualms about putting $80k into an M4, knowing the quality of the underlying platform, and I probably will next. The only reason I got the coupe rather than the 'vert was to get the 6 speed. I didn't realize the M4 'vert gets a stick. Knowing what I know about the C, and modern Mercedes in general, there's no way in hell I'd do a C63 or a C43. (Those guys are also always bitching about cabin creaks, the stiff ride and the lousy stereo. Plus no manual option.)

Well, see you guys in an hour. My second post will be about the DINAN shop that sold me a Stage One tune but installed a $300 Sportronic boost module instead. True story!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
MSCD3184.50
Jeff_335101.50
perezr10140.50
FSociety3810.00
      01-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #31
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5215 View Post
The forum rules say I have to make a post (and wait an hour) to become a member, so here it is. I've driven Mercedes exclusively for the past ten years. Three S Class, and most recently a '16 C300. (I wanted something smaller and lighter). I must have test driven a dozen C450s (now rebadged as a C43) and I could not pull the trigger. They ride like crap, and not in a fun, sporty way. More like a "WTF?" way. The exhaust note is kind of cool in small doses, but you can't escape it. At highway speeds between the flinty ride that heaves on every expansion joint, the excessive wind noise and the exhaust drone... no thanks.

Maybe you could drown out the racket with the "Burmester" audio system but it's actually cobbled together with a bunch of off-the-rack Harman/Kardon stuff and may be the cheapest sounding audio system I've ever had in any car. But I was a Mercedes guy, so I had a C300 built, loaded, with AirMatic. Then I put $4k into the audio system (http://www.w205audio.wordpress.com). And replaced the run-flats with MPSS. I was a pretty happy guy, and I knew it was going back after 36 months anyway so whatever. Then the interior started creaking. Everywhere. At 3000 miles. The color wore through the leather on the driver's seat, then it got rear-ended ($14k hit) so I was kind of over it.

My wife and I were planning a road trip from Florida to NY last summer and I didn't want to take the Benz, so on a whim I drove to the airport looking for a convertible to rent. They had a Mustang and a pair of 430i 'verts. So obviously the BMW it was.

I know zero about BMWs. No idea what "430" meant, the drivetrain specs, nothing. I remember thinking it was smooth so it probably had a slick V6. Like I said, zero. All I knew was the top went up and down. I parked it, packed it for the trip the following day and didn't give it a second thought.

But by the second day of the trip I knew I was in trouble. The valet brought it around and my heart skipped a little. Really good looking car. Then I realized how well it did...everything. It drove so much better than the C. Rock solid and much quieter. Better pick-up, better exhaust note, super smooth, tight handling. I was stunned to learn it had a T4 and not a 6. The base audio system sounded better than the C with $4,000 worth of Focal, Audison and JL gear in it.

Anyway, as soon as I got home I pawned the C off on one of my kids to run out the lease and ordered a 430i Coupe with a 6 Speed, loaded up with everything but the Track Package. (I drove the 440, but I liked the 430 just as much.) I took delivery this past November and its hands down one of the nicest cars I've ever owned. I haven't had to do a lot to it. I got it on 18's since I wasn't sure how it would ride on 19" RF but quickly realized it wouldn't be a problem, so now it's on staggered 19" M4 reps with MPSS.

I did tint all around (after the pic) and replaced the 4" Harman/Kardon main cabin speakers with Morels. (The HK speakers sounded fine, but it felt wrong to leave it stock.) It blows me away every time I drive it. Plus it plays hi-res 24 bit audio right from a USB stick.

I wasn't crazy about the trim options so I picked up a spare set on Ebay and had it wrapped in a dark CF.

On the subject of a C450/43 vs a 440, or a C63s vs an M3 or M4, it's not apples to apples. The BMW is a real car. I'd have no qualms about putting $80k into an M4, knowing the quality of the underlying platform, and I probably will next. The only reason I got the coupe rather than the 'vert was to get the 6 speed. I didn't realize the M4 'vert gets a stick. Knowing what I know about the C, and modern Mercedes in general, there's no way in hell I'd do a C63 or a C43. (Those guys are also always bitching about cabin creaks, the stiff ride and the lousy stereo. Plus no manual option.)

Well, see you guys in an hour. My second post will be about the DINAN shop that sold me a Stage One tune but installed a $300 Sportronic boost module instead. True story!
Man I was really thinking of picking up a c63 coupe but this post has got me thinking maybe I should just stick with Bmw and get an m4. Appreciate the post!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #32
Mike5215
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBread View Post
Man I was really thinking of picking up a c63 coupe but this post has got me thinking maybe I should just stick with Bmw and get an m4. Appreciate the post!
The coupes are built in Germany, vs Vance (Alabama) where US sedans come from, and they don't suffer from the rattles or wind noise. Still the same excessively stiff ride and abysmal audio though. Somehow BMW figured out how to set up a suspension for run flats that mitigates their inherent stiffness, which MB hasn't been bothered with. I still have access to the C and drive both back-to-back, and even with an active air suspension and 18" Michelin Pilot Supersports replacing the OEM Conti rf's, the 430 on 19" is both a much smoother ride and a better handler. Much nicer seats too, and the 430 has Sensatec vs full leather in the C.

The main difference between BMW and MB I've discovered is that MB has a certain level of contempt for its owners. It's as if they think we'll buy anything they slap a three-point star on now. The latest cars do have really pretty interiors though (even with all the felt and foam I had to pack in there to stop the rattles.)

BMW, at least as far as the 3 and 4 series, does seem intent on delivering their buyers a fully baked, fully sorted out, well executed car. Like I think someone at BMW actually drove a prototype of the F32 and turned on the radio before it went into production, whereas with the C I believe it was approved based on a couple of sketches and a spreadsheet.

The only practical reason I can think of to choose a C63 over an M4 is the TTV8. All things considered I don't think it's enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #33
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBread View Post
Test drive a C63 to see for yourself ,that is more what you need to go by. You will hear critics from all sides of the realm BMW vs MB vs Audi. I have owned my share of ALL 3 as well and each has their pros and cons. I have my qualms about my 335i Xdrive but the pros out way the cons. I just happen to like the look of the BMWs 2k13 and up better than the MBs. I think all 3 marques perform very well. AMG,M,Audi. You will always hear biased and unbiased opinions. Take time have fun and go drive all 3 marques for yourself.

Here is a good thread I find pretty objective but still I like my 335i

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1447078

Last edited by ceedawg; 01-27-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      01-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #34
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hmm - a lot of subjective opinions on here. Maybe I can shed some light. I've had my C43 for about a 1.5 years now and am coming up on close to 4 years with my 435. Both coupes, both built in Germany, and both sending power to all 4 wheels (I live in Toronto, sue me :P).

The C43 has a lot going for it, but I agree with some sentiments about the jarring ride of the factory RFTs. They're rough on anything but even pavement. That being said, I personally wasn't looking for a comfy cruiser when I was picking up the C43 so I'm definitely okay with feeling a little bit more of the road. The 435 on factory RFTs do a much better job of being an even keeled daily driver.

I could talk for hours about both cars because they're both absolutely fantastic, and Mercedes and BMW have done a great job of making sure that they both have strong mutually exclusive defining qualities. The C43 is definitely a lot more tail happy and requires a little more skill to drive in a spirited way. The 435 feels more connected to the road and gives you more confidence behind the wheel. I think the 435 will age more gracefully, but the C43 is a riot when you go in to Sport+. You can't really lose either way. Don't take anyone's opinion on either vehicle, including mine, until you've driven them both aggressively. Only then will you be able to cut through the brand bias and fan boy bullshit.
Appreciate 3
ceedawg467.50
bri10425877.00
      01-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #35
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
Hmm - a lot of subjective opinions on here. Maybe I can shed some light. I've had my C43 for about a 1.5 years now and am coming up on close to 4 years with my 435. Both coupes, both built in Germany, and both sending power to all 4 wheels (I live in Toronto, sue me :P).

The C43 has a lot going for it, but I agree with some sentiments about the jarring ride of the factory RFTs. They're rough on anything but even pavement. That being said, I personally wasn't looking for a comfy cruiser when I was picking up the C43 so I'm definitely okay with feeling a little bit more of the road. The 435 on factory RFTs do a much better job of being an even keeled daily driver.

I could talk for hours about both cars because they're both absolutely fantastic, and Mercedes and BMW have done a great job of making sure that they both have strong mutually exclusive defining qualities. The C43 is definitely a lot more tail happy and requires a little more skill to drive in a spirited way. The 435 feels more connected to the road and gives you more confidence behind the wheel. I think the 435 will age more gracefully, but the C43 is a riot when you go in to Sport+. You can't really lose either way. Don't take anyone's opinion on either vehicle, including mine, until you've driven them both aggressively. Only then will you be able to cut through the brand bias and fan boy bullshit.
yep I agree 100000000%
perezr10140.50
      01-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #36
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
great discussion boys.

its so funny every time Im in the C43 Im like damn the TQ--I forget my car is pushing a little over 400TQ..guess Im just used to my car

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #37
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
yep I agree 100000000%
LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
great discussion boys.

its so funny every time Im in the C43 Im like damn the TQ--I forget my car is pushing a little over 400TQ..guess Im just used to my car
Changed spark plugs yet?
lol

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0