F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > PICTURE: KW Variant 2 on my 335i
Extreme Powerhouse

09-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
So was I but so far so good. Easy enough to adjust and no noises. I'm actually very impressed with them. Caught me completely off guard as I would have never expected this level of refinement from a Taiwan based setup. I've had KW, TC Kline, and AST's. For a pure street setup I'm happy with the BC's. Now if I was tracking I would be going with something else.
What else would you go with if you were tracking? Not that I'm tracking my car, but the option to have a track set up is nice. That's what I expected out of the KW V2s... coilovers good for street and track. But the way the coilovers are designed just doesn't make sense to me. If you lower the height, the less strut travel room you get. Essentially, the lower you go, the crappier the ride. Why is KW so respected? Some one please enlighten me. <-- not being sarcastic. I really would like to know the merits.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #24
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
So was I but so far so good. Easy enough to adjust and no noises. I'm actually very impressed with them. Caught me completely off guard as I would have never expected this level of refinement from a Taiwan based setup. I've had KW, TC Kline, and AST's. For a pure street setup I'm happy with the BC's. Now if I was tracking I would be going with something else.
What else would you go with if you were tracking? Not that I'm tracking my car, but the option to have a track set up is nice. That's what I expected out of the KW V2s... coilovers good for street and track. But the way the coilovers are designed just doesn't make sense to me. If you lower the height, the less strut travel room you get. Essentially, the lower you go, the crappier the ride. Why is KW so respected? Some one please enlighten me. &lt;-- not being sarcastic. I really would like to know the merits.
What it all comes down to is that dual purpose coilovers are a compromise one way or the other. Brands like KW lean more to street side of things as do BC. So if street is 99% of your driving they are great.

Then you have koni based setups such as TC Kline that are more like a 90% street. They can be great on the street but start to throw in track based stuff such as linear spring rates and bearing based camber plates.

After that you start to head into the high end solutions with AST being the most affordable followed by Ohlins, and then JRZ's as far as dual purpose solutions are concerned. MCS and Moton are supposed to have a dual purpose setup as well but that is completely overkill fir the most of us.

These all have fantastic and unique shock technology that other brands can't match. You do pay for the privilege though and will have to factor in additional cost for rebuilds and whatnot to keep them at peak operating condition. These would be for the 80% street and less crowd. For example I had AST's because I was autocrossing my old e46 M.

Hope this helps and the percentage splits are all my opinion on the matter so don't take it as gospel lol...
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #25
Ermagerd
Private
Rep
Drives: a huffy

Tremolo, any update from KW about this?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #26
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermagerd View Post
Tremolo, any update from KW about this?
Not yet. Today I managed to get the measurements KW required to even consider helping me. But silly me, I forgot to get the part numbers stamped on the springs and struts. Sigh. Anyway, here are the pics. As you can see, the perches are all the way to the highest setting and the car is really low. I'm really sick of messing with the KWs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #27
F555
Captain
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 - 335i

that is still LOW for the highest setting.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #28
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I will not buy KW if that is what you get!
That is too low for daily use. Too bad, might have to look at Bilstein or H&R now.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #29
ƒ°
Rep

Okay, I got the part numbers for the springs and struts.... I sent it over to KW along with these pics. I hope they help me soon. I'll keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #30
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Okay, I got the part numbers for the springs and struts.... I sent it over to KW along with these pics. I hope they help me soon. I'll keep you guys updated.
With a bit of "luck" they just sent you the wrong parts and all is fine.
Otherwise they made a huge mistake with that product.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #31
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Have you asked 1013mm about the KW coilovers looks on his GF's F30?

Because it sure looks weird on yours, nothing like how it looks on the e90.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #32
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Have you asked 1013mm about the KW coilovers looks on his GF's F30?

Because it sure looks weird on yours, nothing like how it looks on the e90.
On her Instagram she showed a picture yesterday of the rear and said it was the highest setting and it was LOW.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #33
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

As everyone has said, that definitely sits too low, even at its highest settings for daily street use. I hope KW makes it right by offering a solution to your problem.

Keep us updated on your progress as i was also looking at KW coilovers for my F30 335xi msport when they eventually release something.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #34
PGT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i X-Drive in Snapper Rocks

a longer spring with the same rate would fix most of the issue. KW has a great rep....I can't see them not taking care of you (but there's a first for everything of course)
      09-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #35
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT
a longer spring with the same rate would fix most of the issue. KW has a great rep....I can't see them not taking care of you (but there's a first for everything of course)
I guess I've been the first for a lot of things... including first to install this kit in the USA and the first to get brushed off and mocked by KW.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #36
F30_Performance
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

@Tremolo

hi, sorry my english is not the best.

i have installed last week the kw variant 2 on my 335i with msport. i don't have this problems. the high is very good. i love it love so i have in the front 320mm and rear 330mm measure from middle wheel to fender. and i can go higher without problems. may be your coilovers have a problem thats not normal
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #37
PGT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i X-Drive in Snapper Rocks

Quote:
I guess I've been the first for a lot of things... including first to install this kit in the USA and the first to get brushed off and mocked by KW.
"mocked"? As if they've got no intentions of fixing the issues or working with you? I don't take well to that kind of treatment and usually use the ballistic option to force a company's hand to do the right thing. But, that's me.
      09-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #38
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Quote:
A little update. Fronts and Rears "settled" again. Ride quality is back to being crappy. Can't believe this is the absolute highest you can set the car. I already hit the bottom of the car on the apex of a driveway.

I inquired about the BC coilovers. The price is about half of the KWs V2s. The damping adjustment for the rears are on the outside, so you can adjust it simply by jacking up the car. I'm just a bit wary about a product made in Taiwan. And I doubt KW would let me get a refund on these V2s anyways.
Get the BC's man. I've been on them for a good month now. I took a road trip down to Miami (almost 300 miles each way)the other weekend and they were great on the highway. I've adjusted the ride height once after getting the car back from the shop and that was it. No complaints here.
      09-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #39
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clean335i
Quote:
A little update. Fronts and Rears &quot;settled&quot; again. Ride quality is back to being crappy. Can't believe this is the absolute highest you can set the car. I already hit the bottom of the car on the apex of a driveway.

I inquired about the BC coilovers. The price is about half of the KWs V2s. The damping adjustment for the rears are on the outside, so you can adjust it simply by jacking up the car. I'm just a bit wary about a product made in Taiwan. And I doubt KW would let me get a refund on these V2s anyways.
Get the BC's man. I've been on them for a good month now. I took a road trip down to Miami (almost 300 miles each way)the other weekend and they were great on the highway. I've adjusted the ride height once after getting the car back from the shop and that was it. No complaints here.
At this point, I wouldn't mind getting the BCs at all... I would actually prefer it. But I'm stuck at the moment. I sunk $2000 on these KWs and no one has helped me out on this issue yet. Not KW, not the shop I got it at... No one. I can't sink another $1000 on the BCs until I can be sure to get out of these KWs. I want to return it to the shop I bought it from because of this defect but they don't return my calls or emails.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #40
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Quote:
At this point, I wouldn't mind getting the BCs at all... I would actually prefer it. But I'm stuck at the moment. I sunk $2000 on these KWs and no one has helped me out on this issue yet. Not KW, not the shop I got it at... No one. I can't sink another $1000 on the BCs until I can be sure to get out of these KWs. I want to return it to the shop I bought it from because of this defect but they don't return my calls or emails.
Oh wow, sorry about your situation man. I dealt with Precision Sport Industries on my coilovers. I was the first person to get my hands on the BC coils since they wanted to use my car for test purposes. No further adjustments/changes were needed for the coils. It was a straight up install. And as far as I know, PSI has exclusive rights for these coils for another 2 months or so. I hope you can get everything squared away with KW or the shop you got your coils from man. The car is so much more fun lowered.
      09-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #41
ƒ°
Rep

UPDATE: Got a call from KW. They confirmed the springs are wrong. Part number is stamped correctly but they QC'd the wrong spring. This applies to all F30 KW coilovers. No idea when a fix is coming.

I want out of these coilovers due to it being a defect. But the shop won't call me back. I'm going to give them one more try before outting them here. I'm not a happy camper.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #42
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

if KW already confirmed the wrong product used, this should be the supporting reason for the shop to refund you the $ and the shop can then get the thing sorted outh with KW between themselves.

If the shop refused to do the refund, then KW is obligated to refund you the $, regardless. The process may be longer but some one has to take the responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #43
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
UPDATE: Got a call from KW. They confirmed the springs are wrong. Part number is stamped correctly but they QC'd the wrong spring. This applies to all F30 KW coilovers. No idea when a fix is coming.

I want out of these coilovers due to it being a defect. But the shop won't call me back. I'm going to give them one more try before outting them here. I'm not a happy camper.
That's awesome news, at least they are aware of using the wrong springs at this point. I know you have had a difficult time with all of this, but assuming KW ships you (or the shop) the correct springs...why would you still want out?

Also, is the shop local? If so, just drive there instead of calling.
      09-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #44
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
That's awesome news, at least they are aware of using the wrong springs at this point. I know you have had a difficult time with all of this, but assuming KW ships you (or the shop) the correct springs...why would you still want out?

Also, is the shop local? If so, just drive there instead of calling.
I want out because, they are not worth $2k. Since i received the kit, I've had suspicions that KW totally half ass'd it on the coilovers for the F30, but dealing with the tech dept has all but confirmed it. Sure they might have the a suspension dyno and they have a great rep with previous kits and professional kits, but it's obvious that this particular kit is not up to snuff. That plus the way they treated me is enough to make me never use one of their products ever again in my life.
Appreciate 0