F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPK butt dyno/unscientific tests
ARMA SPEED

05-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

MPPK butt dyno/unscientific tests

I did a test for 0-60 today, unscientific as it may be but I think its a data point nonetheless. I had my iphone stop watch. I had a stang next to me and the light turned green. I changed the car to sport or sport+ cant remember and pushed the lever to DS. When I was doing this, this allowed time for the stang to drive off, which I was happy about

Upon finishing this, I hit my accelerator and pressed the start button, around the same time. I stopped the clock once I hit 65mph. The HUD goes up in increments of 6-9 around 60mph when accelerating hard. What did I see when I looked at the stop watch, 5 seconds

I am pleased with this unscientific test, 0-60 is somewhere between 4 and 5 seconds and this is with the least aggressive launch

This is repeatable so if anyone could do the same an we can compare results.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages

Last edited by 300hp; 05-06-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

There is an iPhone app that can measure 0 to 60. Not sure if it is that accurate. I was googling yesterday to see if I could rent a vbox in the Phoenix area for cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m
There is an iPhone app that can measure 0 to 60. Not sure if it is that accurate. I was googling yesterday to see if I could rent a vbox in the Phoenix area for cheap.
I will try it, it would be nice if someone could do this test. Something that us non professional drivers can achieve

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
miro67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Just discovered after a tip in another thread that you can download GPS based speedometer, including 0-60 times, on your iphone. They are supposed to be very accurate. Even better there is a BMW company app -search "M Power" and it will come up -its now free.

So download the app and take it for a spin for an accurate measurement and let us all know. its a shame we didn't know about this earlier for a before and after.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

I downloaded it. I had promised myself no more 0-60 runs for another week and you introduce me to this app. Damn you

I won't have the car today, my wife will have it. I will test my X5 for today, expecting 6.1s.

The other problem you will have is knowing when you get to 60. The HUD will not help since it goes up in increments of 6-9mph under hard acceleration. I guess I could use that speed warning setting which should chime once I get to the target speed.

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #6
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro67 View Post
Just discovered after a tip in another thread that you can download GPS based speedometer, including 0-60 times, on your iphone. They are supposed to be very accurate. Even better there is a BMW company app -search "M Power" and it will come up -its now free.

So download the app and take it for a spin for an accurate measurement and let us all know. its a shame we didn't know about this earlier for a before and after.
I downloaded the app too. Based on the instructions, you got to press the start button and then run the car - that does not seem like a recipe for an accurate result especially since they mention that the phone should be kept straight vertically or lying down.

Anyway I have my car out to the body shop today and may be out the whole week. The best I can do in the mean time is try out the 0-60 for the rental chevy impala that I have with me !!! (on a side note I floored the impala today on a freeway exit and almost got the car out of control (due to humongous amount of torque steer) ... it just started swaying badly side ways till I let go - it is good to drive a corolla or an impala once in a while to reset our perspectives on speed and handling!)

Last edited by rallybull; 05-07-2013 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro67 View Post

I downloaded the app too. Based on the instructions, you got to press the start button and then run the car - that does not seem like a recipe for an accurate result especially since they mention that the phone should be kept straight vertically or lying down.

Anyway I have my car out to the body shop today and may be out the whole week. The best I can do in the mean time is try out the 0-60 for the rental chevy impala that I have with me !!! (on a side note I floored the impala today on a freeway exit and almost got the car out of control (due to humongous amount of torque steer) ... it just started swaying badly side ways till I let go - it is good to drive a corolla or an impala once in a while to reset our perspectives on speed and handling!)
I think it uses the g meter to determine when acceleration starts and once it gets to your desired speed it will just calculate the time taken and spit out the result. I will do 0-30 test in my X5 to test it out. The good thing is we can take pictures of the results and post them here.

Edit
I just tested the app, it does not use the g meter as I expected. You have to hit start and accelerate at the same time. I think my method of setting the speed limit warning and then making sure to tap start and stopping the clock once the chime goes off should work. The iPhone clock has big buttons so this helps in ensuring you hit the button without looking.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Try this one: Dynolicious:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Dynol...ce-91207.shtml
      05-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Sounds less scientific than me taking a video of my speedometer and going back and using a stop watch to calculate while watching the video on my pc.

Vbox data is probably the only reliable way. Not sure how well any of our trigger fingers are calibrated when we're dealing with tenths of seconds, nor am I sure how well a phone can judge speed and when acceleration begins.

But to get a rough number, I'm sure any of these methods would work decently. I think I got anywhere from 4.6-4.9 with JB4 Stage 1 doing the video review method. I probably need to learn to launch better. Traction control kicking in kills your time a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Sounds less scientific than me taking a video of my speedometer and going back and using a stop watch to calculate while watching the video on my pc.

Vbox data is probably the only reliable way. Not sure how well any of our trigger fingers are calibrated when we're dealing with tenths of seconds, nor am I sure how well a phone can judge speed and when acceleration begins.

But to get a rough number, I'm sure any of these methods would work decently. I think I got anywhere from 4.6-4.9 with JB4 Stage 1 doing the video review method. I probably need to learn to launch better. Traction control kicking in kills your time a lot.
I have x drive so I just take off, no wheel spin. Agreed nothing scientific with my methods but it helps to get things going and have people challenge the results. That way we will eventually end up in a position where we have some sort of general consensus.

The video method is the next best thing. I think that's what I am going to try and at least it provides evidence that everyone can verify.

However there is no doubt in my mind that 0-60 is under 5s for the x-drive, without even breaking a sweat.

Last edited by 300hp; 05-07-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp
I did a test for 0-60 today, unscientific as it may be but I think its a data point nonetheless. I had my iphone stop watch. I had a stang next to me and the light turned green. I changed the car to sport or sport+ cant remember and pushed the lever to DS. When I was doing this, this allowed time for the stang to drive off, which I was happy about

Upon finishing this, I hit my accelerator and pressed the start button, around the same time. I stopped the clock once I hit 65mph. The HUD goes up in increments of 6-9 around 60mph when accelerating hard. What did I see when I looked at the stop watch, 5 seconds

I am pleased with this unscientific test, 0-60 is somewhere between 4 and 5 seconds and this is with the least aggressive launch

This is repeatable so if anyone could do the same an we can compare results.
So a rolling start in 5 seconds? Not bad at all!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Not a rolling start. This is from a standstill. Unless I have the wrong understanding of rolling start. I used no techniques, just the same way any novice would do it.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Not a rolling start. This is from a standstill. Unless I have the wrong understanding of rolling start. I used no techniques, just the same way any novice would do it.
I think rolling is anything without a rev-launch. No?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Quote:
Quote:
I think rolling is anything without a rev-launch. No?
Lol I thought you would have the answer. I honestly think you know more about cars than me. Here is my logic and I stand to be corrected, if its a rolling start then the car has to be in motion at the start right? Like the Indy 500, contrast that with formula one which is a standing start.

Anyway no one else seems to be doing this so tonight I am doing a 0-60 in my x5 so we have another data point from which to compare. I will use the iphone approach. Of course the x5 will be slower but just a sanity check. I wish my G37 was still around for this test.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

This one was a severe disappointment. 7s was the best I could do. However the X5 requires better launching as the pedals are further apart than the 3 series. I can shave at least half a second if I do it right.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
miro67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Re the apps for the iphone, a couple of points having played around with it last night.

1. have a look on youtube, there are a number of tests which show they are very accurate, mainly done using dynolicious. There are also a couple of well credentialled other reviews from when it was first released including Car and Driver which reported it was 0.25 seconds slower consistently than their VBox 2. Apparently the current release is more accurate.
2. the BMW app and Dynolicous use the GPS within the phone to register when you hit 60mph, so no need to do anything other than hit start and the accelerator at the same time. The app does all the rest of the work, and gives you pretty acceleration/speed graphs etc as well.

Definitely worth while especially for pre and post PPK runs to make sure it has made a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro67
Re the apps for the iphone, a couple of points having played around with it last night.

1. have a look on youtube, there are a number of tests which show they are very accurate, mainly done using dynolicious. There are also a couple of well credentialled other reviews from when it was first released including Car and Driver which reported it was 0.25 seconds slower consistently than their VBox 2. Apparently the current release is more accurate.
2. the BMW app and Dynolicous use the GPS within the phone to register when you hit 60mph, so no need to do anything other than hit start and the accelerator at the same time. The app does all the rest of the work, and gives you pretty acceleration/speed graphs etc as well.

Definitely worth while especially for pre and post PPK runs to make sure it has made a difference.
I tried the BMW m power app. The phone was flat and secure and I hit the accelerator and the start around the same time. 9s to 60, that app was way off l. I ended up using the iPhone stop watch. However I will try the dynolicious app. Thanks for the update

UPDATE

I did a couple of runs on non public roads
X5 35i, if vbox is 0.25s better then this would be 6.6s. Tired no time to run the 335i. Dynolicious is the way to go though. The blue graph is off since I have not yet set up my car's profile on the app but its good to show the gear changes. Each dip to the left and the right of the 5s line represents a gear change. I know for a fact the N55/ZF8 changes gears at the respective speeds shown on the MPH graph.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by 300hp; 05-08-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

compare my non professional results with these, other than the X5 35i they tested, its wearing the summer 20s and I have all season 19s, I am pretty much right there with everything else

Last edited by 300hp; 05-07-2013 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #19
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Lol I thought you would have the answer. I honestly think you know more about cars than me. Here is my logic and I stand to be corrected, if its a rolling start then the car has to be in motion at the start right? Like the Indy 500, contrast that with formula one which is a standing start.

Anyway no one else seems to be doing this so tonight I am doing a 0-60 in my x5 so we have another data point from which to compare. I will use the iphone approach. Of course the x5 will be slower but just a sanity check. I wish my G37 was still around for this test.
Here is a pretty decent explanation of what a "rolling" start really is (w.r.t. drag racing) : http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...nd-trucks.html

Scroll down to the section titled "A Few Words About Rollout".
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Those apps are not accurate they can be off by as much as a second + or -
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #21
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

@tojo
Thanks
@build...
My finger and stopwatch method yielded 7s. The app got 6.85, still not vbox but I think the app is better and results can be shared . Also someone here said the app is recommended by C&D.

With the dyno app you press start and it will say wait and then give you the green light. It will not start testing until it registers g forces that informs it you have started accelerating. It will stop when you start decelerating and will give you your times. So start and stop are independent of your fingers.

Appreciate 0