F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Media Packs on a 335d
proTUNING Freaks

12-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #23
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
an A-Z, arrr yes, them were the days....
Didn't have a smartphone back then, might have been quicker to find and charge my Garmin thanks to my map reading skills
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
I've said it before as have many others, I would rarely use Pro Media for navigation, I could always use my iphone for that if I was really stuck.

Its the integrated media system and the extra features that it adds, so IMO I don't know why people keep referring to tom tom as Nav is free on many smartphones. I wouldn't want to use BT etc through a thing stuck to my windscreen either.

I had a loan e92 for 3 months whilst mine had problems with the paintwork (dealer caused it) and it didn't have Pro Media, the one time I needed Nav rather than use my Garmin I used an A-Z couldn't be bothered to find it, charge it, update it, stick it to the windscreen, etc

Again I got the Pro Media for these reasons (list from d4stringer)- nothing to do with Nav, and for me it wasn't 2k I wanted Black Panel so it was maybe 1K due to GFV increase...

OK maybe I will use Nav on some eurotrips at some point

1) Large wide screen display (with split screen option) improved Cabin look
2) 100GB Hard Drive (20GB for storing music, 60GB for Navigation, the rest for other functions).
3) Music Centre, improved music display, support search functions, podcasts, audiobooks and various music file types
4) BMW Widgets, for example you can display Weather Data in a splitscreen view with Navigation Map for example
7) Black Panel Display
8) BMW Apps (integration with Smartphone Apps, ie BMW ConnectedDrive, Facebook, Glympse, Web Radio, Web Podcasts etc..)
11) Enhanced BMW Online Interface (3G Cellular connection for faster download of BMW ConnectedDrive or Online Data)
13) DVD Drive
Ok, let's address these from my perspective.

1) Who cares the screen is wider. Both look great.
2) You can get a 64gb USB key for pocket change. My iPhone also has 64gb
3) When I'm listening to music I'm not staring at the screen. Playback from USB key is just as good
4) You really want to be viewing the weather real time?
5,6) Obviously not important to you either
7) Agreed. Added it as a £200 option
8) Don't need this (and it's an option on top). Y cable lets me play music from any app
9,10) Also gone walkabout
11) My phone has 4g which is faster still
12)
13) Only time I need a DVD player is in the back for the kids while actually driving.

And the reason everyone always talks about TomTom even though phones have it built in, is unlike the BMW Pro Nav and the standard phone apps, it's the dog bollocks. Always accurate routing and real time redirection based on local traffic that is reliable. Very rarely ever sends you somewhere silly. Route times are based on actual times achieved by real people at the exact times of day you are travelling.

And the phone is no bother. It is always with me, charges in the car and also contains all my music. Takes 2 seconds to clip in place, and added benefit, acts as a kind of HUD too. The gift that keeps on giving, and it didn't cost me £2k.
Appreciate 0