F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Buying New Rims (How Much To Install)?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #23
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

What's this world coming to when someone doesn't know how to simply swap wheels. I would suggest doing them yourself people need to know the basic understanding of such tasks.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtroopin' View Post
I just mounted my wheels. I couldn't break the lugs loose (I didn't have a breaker bar or impact driver), and was afraid of damaging the wheel by trying any extremes to loosen them. So I made some calls and found a local tire shop that said they would mount them no problem (I found shops that quoted me $15 but I had to leave the car overnight, and others that quoted me $80 - not sure of the thought process behind that price). It took 20min~30min and $25, but my wheels are perfect now. No damage done, and all the lugs are tight as can be. Although I may end up buying a jack & impact driver in the future just for easier access to clean both the wheels and brakes...
If they're that tight, chances are they're over torqued. I'd have to look at the manual but I think it's only around 80lbs recommended. I'm by no means a hulking guy and had no issues loosening any of the lugs from the factory mounted tires and they all seemed to require about the same effort.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #25
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
you think this work will take more than an hour???
No reason it takes an hour in a shop. Should be more like 10-15 mins. If you're doing it in your garage with one jack, it shouldn't take more than 30.

Shops like to overcharge if they can get away with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
If they're that tight, chances are they're over torqued. I'd have to look at the manual but I think it's only around 80lbs recommended. I'm by no means a hulking guy and had no issues loosening any of the lugs from the factory mounted tires and they all seemed to require about the same effort.
Not sure what was going on then because I weigh 170lbs and I could stand on the end of my tire iron without budging those lugs (and everything was factory). That's why I ended up going to the tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #27
tennistodd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 alpine white M2 LCI

My Dealer charges $88 to install 4 new tires, mount and balance. These were 20" BMW wheels too with rubber band tires. lol
      08-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
tennistodd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 alpine white M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistodd View Post
My Dealer charges $88 to install 4 new tires, mount and balance. These were 20" BMW wheels too with rubber band tires. lol
Above was on my 328i....
Last week they put 2 new tires on my new Velgens up front for $40. This was on my 335i
      08-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqstr View Post
Shop around, my local dealer wanted almost $400 for the exact same thing you are looking for. I ended up taking it to a tuner shop and they did everything , including filling the tires with nitrogen and setting the tpms for $55 total.
Wow...400 to mount/balance tires?!?! This is officially the worst deal I've ever seen for anything, congrats! In a land full of 15% below invoice internet savvy car shoppers, this truly is a breath of fresh air.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Unfortunately, this is what sucks about having other people do anything to your car. Unless they truly value/appreciate cars and your business, something as benign as an oil change can strip the #@!& out of your drain bolt and be a massive PITA to fix or just be more $$$ down the road. Always better to buy tools and learn how to do these things by yourself, only constraint is you need a garage to work in...
Appreciate 0