F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot® Sport A/S™ 3+ --- vs --- Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06
proTUNING Freaks

03-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #45
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I was referring to the stock 19in sizes
Apparently they do make them, but not easy to find...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #46
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Original AS/3's here, about 12k miles on them. I had this same debate, decided on the AS/3's and very happy with them. Awesome grip in dry & wet, plus OK in the minor amount of snow we get here in Raleigh. Quiet, too. I'm a bit concerned about tread life, but if I slowed down in the corners, that might improve.

If the AS/3+ is even better, I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat.

Had the Continental DWS on an Acura a couple years ago, thought they were OK, but maybe a bit noisy.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #47
jgpingpong
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

So I just pulled the trigger on the DWS06s. As I mentioned, I ditched the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4s (225/50/17).

My <100 miles initial impressions are favorable. They are quiet and a touch softer (in a good way) than the Michelins. Handling is much improved, they are very confident on curves and turns plus there is tons of grip. They provide a nice smooth, comfortable, composed and somewhat sporty ride. I may increase the tire pressure a bit just to firm things up a tad.

My original complaints with the Michelins were wobbliness in mid curves, especially when there are bumps, and the loud noise. I am happy with the DWS06s so far. If you are looking for a competent daily driver tire, this is the one. If you are looking for an ultimate performance tire, you may be disappointed.

On a side note, I had the original DWS on previous vehicles. The DWS06 is much improved in handling and steering feel. The old DWS were mushy and had noticeably soft sidewalls. Continental seemed to have significantly improved in these areas.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #48
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
I have the Continental ExtremeContact on my old BMW and my wife's Volvo. Excellent tire. Very quiet and HUGE tread wear life.

p.s. If you have the 19's like I do, there are NO all-season run flats at that size. You either go Runflat/Summer Performance or non-Runflat All-Season.
I have had both on wife's GTI not 3 series.. I only run Supersports on both BMWs. The Continental is very quiet and very nice in the rain. It's a little soft on turn in but very quiet. If you like a quiet car, this is the tire. The AS3 is currently on the car. Dry traction is much better and turn-in is better. It feels sportier than Continental but loud. Usually Michelins are pretty quiet but in the 225-45-17 size on the GTI they are loud. I don't need all season tires in San Diego so if I wanted more performance I would go Superports but if you do need all season, decide which is more important to you. One note of caution is that the GTI has very little insulation so tire noise is amplified. BMW is better so it might not be as bad but if you want comfort and quiet...Conty. A little more performance and noise, AS3. I also disagree that AS3 is almost like Supersports. Yes, they are pretty good for all season but not that good on dry.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #49
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
Apparently they do make them, but not easy to find...
I'm guessing that's NOT a run-flat tire.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #50
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgpingpong View Post
So I just pulled the trigger on the DWS06s. As I mentioned, I ditched the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4s (225/50/17).

My <100 miles initial impressions are favorable. They are quiet and a touch softer (in a good way) than the Michelins. Handling is much improved, they are very confident on curves and turns plus there is tons of grip. They provide a nice smooth, comfortable, composed and somewhat sporty ride. I may increase the tire pressure a bit just to firm things up a tad.

My original complaints with the Michelins were wobbliness in mid curves, especially when there are bumps, and the loud noise. I am happy with the DWS06s so far. If you are looking for a competent daily driver tire, this is the one. If you are looking for an ultimate performance tire, you may be disappointed.

On a side note, I had the original DWS on previous vehicles. The DWS06 is much improved in handling and steering feel. The old DWS were mushy and had noticeably soft sidewalls. Continental seemed to have significantly improved in these areas.
Primacy's are more of a touring tire not on par with the AS3 or 3+, Sidewalls on AS3's are very rigid there's no wobble at all in my experience.
      03-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #51
cooln3ss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 M-Sport - MPPK

Love my Michelin Pilot Sports, great tires!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #52
Nacho98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Several

I've got 20k miles on my A/S 3s on my 5.0, in a winter state.

All the good you expect from Michelin - tires are quiet, wearing evenly, no balance issues etc (always had problems with Contis). Wet performance is pretty good, dry is as good as you're going to get from an all season (but surely is no match for even a middle of the road summer tire like a Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar, my OEM tire).

But man oh man watch yourself on snow, the A/S 3s are complete shit. I can confirm this as I had to do a 360 with the throttle at 5000 rpm in the middle of my street yesterday with a foot of unplowed snow as a truck came by, forcing me to the right side of the road (instead of the middle where I was following in someone else's tread marks) where I began to slide out to the right with the crown of the road.

The A/S 3s are NOT good on snow, not at all, not even a little bit. I should also note I'm at half tread at 20k miles, if not a bit less. Hoping for 40k miles out of them, but was really hoping I'd get 45k solid, I'll probably be at wear bars by 40k, and I don't drive them hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #53
RedKloud
Major
Rep

I think I'm going to go with DWS06s. I currently have Bridgestone summer RFTs. Should I put the new ones on now or wait until fall?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #54
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
I think I'm going to go with DWS06s. I currently have Bridgestone summer RFTs. Should I put the new ones on now or wait until fall?
Wait until fall.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #55
ramellis65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi Gran Coupe

Ive had both and I live in NJ. I prefer the Mich A/S 3 for better handling, performance and they lasted longer for the time that I had them on. Did not use the Mich A/S 3 in the winter due to the fact i had my 19in Avant Garde wheels on. But with summer and rain i really liked the Mich and i do long distance driving and very spirited driving. Would buy them again.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 11:28 AM   #56
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho98 View Post

All the good you expect from Michelin - tires are quiet, wearing evenly, no balance issues etc (always had problems with Contis). Wet performance is pretty good, dry is as good as you're going to get from an all season (but surely is no match for even a middle of the road summer tire like a Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar, my OEM tire).

But man oh man watch yourself on snow, the A/S 3s are complete shit. I can confirm this as I had to do a 360 with the throttle at 5000 rpm in the middle of my street yesterday with a foot of unplowed snow as a truck came by, forcing me to the right side of the road (instead of the middle where I was following in someone else's tread marks) where I began to slide out to the right with the crown of the road.

The A/S 3s are NOT good on snow, not at all, not even a little bit. I should also note I'm at half tread at 20k miles, if not a bit less. Hoping for 40k miles out of them, but was really hoping I'd get 45k solid, I'll probably be at wear bars by 40k, and I don't drive them hard.
To be fair, a 5.0 GT will probably over power the DWS as well. Shouldn't be driving that in MN snow without winter tires.

Saying that as a modified ecoboost owner on Pirelli Pzeros. 1-2 inches of snow here in MI and the car is a nightmare already. If I do drive it next winter, plan is for winter tires stat.
      03-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #57
BennnChen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i xDrive

I have the DWS 06 and I just mounted them yesterday. So far I love them, they handle better than the Pirelli P7s I had but I've only had them for a day
      04-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #58
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

I've got the A/S 3's, not the A/S 3 +. Went in for service last week and they tell me the tread depth of all 4 tires is 4/32" and I should replace soon. I know they really want to sell me tires, I get that.

I am surprised that these otherwise awesome tires are this worn after only 12,000 miles. Read TireRack reviews where others are claiming 30-40k miles on these. ?? Was really hoping they'd last the life of the lease, and I'd just put the original Conti run flats back on at lease end. But noooooo.

Unless I can get another 15k miles on 4/32"? Probably not. Or... I guess I can stop entering the off ramps at 70mph?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:54 PM   #59
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
I've got the A/S 3's, not the A/S 3 +. Went in for service last week and they tell me the tread depth of all 4 tires is 4/32" and I should replace soon. I know they really want to sell me tires, I get that.

I am surprised that these otherwise awesome tires are this worn after only 12,000 miles. Read TireRack reviews where others are claiming 30-40k miles on these. ?? Was really hoping they'd last the life of the lease, and I'd just put the original Conti run flats back on at lease end. But noooooo.

Unless I can get another 15k miles on 4/32"? Probably not. Or... I guess I can stop entering the off ramps at 70mph?
Well, you have warranty on these tires
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #60
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post

Just FYI, Michelin's mileage warranty applies to cars with a square size setup. I believe they halve the mileage warranty on cars with a staggered setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #61
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
Well, you have warranty on these tires
Good point. It's pro-rated, I'm sure. Michelin web site says these are warranted for 45k. Yikes. Didn't think I was driving that aggressively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Just FYI, Michelin's mileage warranty applies to cars with a square size setup. I believe they halve the mileage warranty on cars with a staggered setup.
Square setup here, but thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #62
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
I had the DWS before, and it's an excellent all around all season tire. Got me out of some mild snow as well. As for noise, I think they're noisy as heck especially on nasty uneven highway pavement. They tended to wear funny on my old e90, almost like a cupping. I'd still buy them again and do an alignment after install.
      06-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #63
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Ditched the RFTs for DWS06s. Pleasant improvement in ride comfort. The hard thwacks are now about 20% more muted.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 12:16 AM   #64
arvi604
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi SPORT

Fellow Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM57 View Post
I'm still running the original tires that came with the car but l'll have to replace them soon. I'm looking for the best all season tire available and most likely not a run flat. I've been looking at various brands and I'm considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 so far.

Has anyone tried any of these tires before? Is there a better tire? Has anyone replaced their tires yet? If so, what did you buy and are you happy with your choice.

Here's some info and reviews for the Michelin (Tire Released March 2016):

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...-s-3-plus.html

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/01/15/mi...at-2016-naias/

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/michel...review-rating/

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=25WR7PSAS3

Here's some info and reviews for the Continental (Tire Released March 2015):

http://www.continentaltire.com/conte...contact™-dws06

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/03/27/ti...contact-dws06/

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/contin...dws06-reviews/

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....WS06&tab=Sizes

Hey OP fellow Vancouverite here. Which did you end up going with? I managed to find a store with a set of A/S3+'s in stock after calling multiple Kal Tires, Costco and CT. Ditching my RFT's that have 80% tread for them and getting them installed Monday. Snow handling supposed to be much improved which I'm looking forward to trying after all the weather we've had so far this winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #65
RedKloud
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi604 View Post
Hey OP fellow Vancouverite here. Which did you end up going with? I managed to find a store with a set of A/S3+'s in stock after calling multiple Kal Tires, Costco and CT. Ditching my RFT's that have 80% tread for them and getting them installed Monday. Snow handling supposed to be much improved which I'm looking forward to trying after all the weather we've had so far this winter.
A/S 3+ aren't the greatest in snow.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #66
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho98 View Post

Okay, I have a 328 coupe and I read through so many reviews on Tirerack before decided to go with the Michelin A/S 3. I have been a fan of Conti and had the original DWS on my previous car then changed to the new DWS06 when the old one worn out. On my 328, it was the road noise and harsh ride of the runflat tires that drove me nut so I decided I had no other choice but to make the change. The Michelin tires were good. They handle well but during the winter, I skidded like hell. It was mind boggling to me because tirerack did the test. They clearly says Michelin earned higher score on snow than the Conti. Guess what, slowly as time goes there are just more and more reports from other owners saying the same thing about the Michelin A/S 3 tires. They SUCK in snow. If you are willing to be Super careful everyday driving during the winter, buy yourself the Michelin tires. If you value your life and willing to deal with a bit softer ride, go with the Conti.

Stiffness wise, you have Run flat ones being super stiff, then Micheline AS3, then non run flat tires. Micheline has a very very strong side walls so hitting a curb, a pothole... no problem. They just are more willing to throw your car into another car when there is snow on the road.
Appreciate 0