F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car&Driver Feb Edition: A5 Sportback vs 430i xDrive vs Kia Stinger
proTUNING Freaks

04-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #89
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
The trick with Audi leases is to lease for 42 months instead of 36. Payments come out close to a 3-Series if you get the prices about the same (though without the maintenance plan). I've almost leased one twice. 42 Months is a long lease, though.
Yeah it is. My last lease I jumped ship at 32 months vs. 36 cuz BMW was down to eat those remaining payments to get me into something else. 42 is an eternity to be borrowing a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Right now my ideal 'realistic' car would be a loaded S5 Sportback, and with Audi lease prices even that is more than I want to spend monthly. What I'm really waiting for, and I'll drive the C Class CPO I just bought until then, is an update of the 440GC on the new G platform with a much nicer interior and hopefully back to the days of great lease deals on BMWs with security deposits. Or if I get a great deal on a RR Velar might get one of those.
If I could get another lease deal like the one I'm currently in - a 3 series that comes in at around $48500 for just drive offs and mid $300's a month, I will do that but I am not getting my hopes up. My understanding is that 4 series don't lease as well.

If those deals aren't available anymore, I'll prob aggressively try and buy out my current car if I can find a dealer that will knock several grand off the ridiculous RV or I would even look at a CPO 430i GC. I really loved that car as a loaner, really did. Truth is there will be mountains of off-lease used F30's just infesting dealer lots like a cancer when the G20 comes out so maybe out of the 10 dealers in my area, one will be willing to sell me my car for what it will be worth - like $25k. I'm generally pretty happy with it. Unless the G20 just totally blows my mind when it drops, I wouldn't mind doing another 3-5 years in this one.

440i GC is like, my dream car but I'm way too poor man status to pull that off. Thats easily 5 bills a month if not more.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:24 AM   #90
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
Quote:
The trick with Audi leases is to lease for 42 months instead of 36. Payments come out close to a 3-Series if you get the prices about the same (though without the maintenance plan). I've almost leased one twice. 42 Months is a long lease, though.
Yeah it is. My last lease I jumped ship at 32 months vs. 36 cuz BMW was down to eat those remaining payments to get me into something else. 42 is an eternity to be borrowing a car

Quote:
Right now my ideal 'realistic' car would be a loaded S5 Sportback, and with Audi lease prices even that is more than I want to spend monthly. What I'm really waiting for, and I'll drive the C Class CPO I just bought until then, is an update of the 440GC on the new G platform with a much nicer interior and hopefully back to the days of great lease deals on BMWs with security deposits. Or if I get a great deal on a RR Velar might get one of those.
If I could get another lease deal like the one I'm currently in - a 3 series that comes in at around $48500 for just drive offs and mid $300's a month, I will do that but I am not getting my hopes up. My understanding is that 4 series don't lease as well.

If those deals aren't available anymore, I'll prob aggressively try and buy out my current car if I can find a dealer that will knock several grand off the ridiculous RV or I would even look at a CPO 430i GC. I really loved that car as a loaner, really did. Truth is there will be mountains of off-lease used F30's just infesting dealer lots like a cancer when the G20 comes out so maybe out of the 10 dealers in my area, one will be willing to sell me my car for what it will be worth - like $25k. I'm generally pretty happy with it. Unless the G20 just totally blows my mind when it drops, I wouldn't mind doing another 3-5 years in this one.

440i GC is like, my dream car but I'm way too poor man status to pull that off. Thats easily 5 bills a month if not more.
Good luck with getting a discount on your RV, I'll be really interested to hear how that works out. I tried on mine no luck at all. Now 6-7 weeks after I returned my 428GC it's still on sale at the dealer, with CPO warranty, for less than the RV.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:25 AM   #91
sr5959
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that tip!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #92
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good luck with getting a discount on your RV, I'll be really interested to hear how that works out. I tried on mine no luck at all. Now 6-7 weeks after I returned my 428GC it's still on sale at the dealer, with CPO warranty, for less than the RV.
When the lease on my 320 was up I reached out to Irvine BMW where I got it and within 2 days they hit me back with a price $2500 below my residual. There was nothing to it and my sales guy said they do it all the time. Called 'dynamic pricing'. It makes no sense for them not to do it. It costs money for them to certify and keep it on their lot taking up space. It costs money to sell @ auction for bottom dollar. Whereas I am a built in buyer. I didn't want to buy the 320 but was interested in the process.

I'll go the same route this time and see what they come up with. Some guy recently posted on here about how he was offered like $7000 below residual on his 335i.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #93
sr5959
Captain
Rep

Quote:
When the lease on my 320 was up I reached out to Irvine BMW where I got it and within 2 days they hit me back with a price $2500 below my residual. There was nothing to it and my sales guy said they do it all the time. Called 'dynamic pricing'. It makes no sense for them not to do it. It costs money for them to certify and keep it on their lot taking up space. It costs money to sell @ auction for bottom dollar. Whereas I am a built in buyer. I didn't want to buy the 320 but was interested in the process.

I'll go the same route this time and see what they come up with. Some guy recently posted on here about how he was offered like $7000 below residual on his 335i.
Didn't work for me but maybe it varies by region. Good luck and post what happens up here. When is your lease ending?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #94
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn't work for me but maybe it varies by region. Good luck and post what happens up here. When is your lease ending?
Not for a while

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #95
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
What is the most troubling is that the Audi beat the BMW in every single Powertrain and Chassis category and this thread sounds like a bunch of excuses. Fact is, BMW is catering to the masses and dropping the sporting character from most of it's offering (or making it harder to spec special) and this is the result. The once heralded drivers car has fallen. C&D has loved BMW since forever and even they aren't being fooled by BMW's softening.
I hear you. I have a 2017 330i reasonably optioned that stickered for $49.5k. It has been very solid. No trips to the dealer (7k miles), no squeaks, rattles, snaps, crackles, or pops. It looks great and it feels good when you're inside. The beige interior looks great to me. It has good power, and the ergonmics are good. The seat is marvelous and the brakes are great.

But each day, no matter what I do and no matter how I try, I conclude that it drives like an ordinary car. I'm just not feeling the things that RWD, 50/50 balance, and summer tires are supposed to bring to the table. Simply put, when I go around a curve at speed I can't get that side bolster to push into my ribs the way I used to do in my 1991 FWD Integra. The more you push the car the more it leans. It bump-steers around corners with small road imperfections. It seems to fight off bumps instead of absorb them. The tires growl when turning, even at moderate speeds. Taking some speed through a roundabout is a mess. The steering isn't good.

I really don't think the F30 will wind up on BMW's wall of fame.

Last edited by LMK5; 04-19-2018 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #96
El Conquistador
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240 Vert - 6M as god intended

BMW got 4 too much on the steering feel. My wife's Mazda5 minivan has better feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #97
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
What is the most troubling is that the Audi beat the BMW in every single Powertrain and Chassis category and this thread sounds like a bunch of excuses. Fact is, BMW is catering to the masses and dropping the sporting character from most of it's offering (or making it harder to spec special) and this is the result. The once heralded drivers car has fallen. C&D has loved BMW since forever and even they aren't being fooled by BMW's softening.
I hear you. I have a 2017 330i reasonably optioned that stickered for $49.5k. It has been very solid. No trips to the dealer (7k miles), no squeaks, rattles, snaps, crackles, or pops. It looks great and it feels good when you're inside. The beige interior looks great to me. It has good power, and the ergonmics are good. The seat is marvelous and the brakes are great.

But each day, no matter what I do and no matter how I try, I conclude that it drives like an ordinary car. I'm just not feeling the things that RWD, 50/50 balance, and summer tires are supposed to bring to the table. Simply put, when I go around a curve at speed I can't get that side bolster to push into my ribs the way I used to do in my 1991 FWD Integra. The more you push the car the more it leans. It bump-steers around corners with small road imperfections. It seems to fight off bumps instead of absorb them. The tires growl when turning, even at moderate speeds. Taking some speed through a roundabout is a mess. The steering isn't good.

I really don't think the F30 will wind up on BMW's wall of fame.
My f30 with base suspension (not msport or adaptive) was sort of like you describe, but the f36 I'm driving now is nothing like that. You can still have the 3 series experience in the current generation, it's just more complicated.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #98
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

^^ Yeah, sounds like he got the wrong suspension. Drive the same car with the m sport 704 suspension and some sticky summer tires and keep talking about how it drives like an ordinary car.

I cant disagree re: comments on the steering though. My wife's VW Tiguan has much better steering feel.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #99
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
My f30 with base suspension (not msport or adaptive) was sort of like you describe, but the f36 I'm driving now is nothing like that. You can still have the 3 series experience in the current generation, it's just more complicated.
F36 is a 4GC, correct? If so, I had one with base suspension as a loaner once and yes, it definitely drove better than my car. But you give up things with the GC also. The rear visibility isn't very good, and although the car is bigger than the F30 on the outside, it's noticeably tighter on the inside. Throw in frameless doors and a higher price tag, and it gives pause when comparing to the 3-series. But yes, definitely a tighter driving experience.

Last edited by LMK5; 04-20-2018 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #100
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
^^ Yeah, sounds like he got the wrong suspension. Drive the same car with the m sport 704 suspension and some sticky summer tires and keep talking about how it drives like an ordinary car.

I cant disagree re: comments on the steering though. My wife's VW Tiguan has much better steering feel.
As far as msport suspension goes, I had an F30 msport as a loaner for an extended period of time. Yes, it was tighter around the corners, but I found the ride to be overly busy and nervous, and I didn't find the damping to be that good. In the end, I didn't see enough difference to justify an extra 3k added to the sticker. I actually found the pre-LCI msport suspension to be a better compromise than the LCI.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #101
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Overall I am happy with my 704 m sport suspension. I don't find it nervous or uncomfortable. I think it is what I expect from a BMW sport in that regard, but the cornering and steering feel and feedback aren't what I'd hoped. I don't drive this car too hard, but if it were my 1 and only car for all purposes, I would be less satisfied and be looking for a more enjoyable car to toss around. For how I use it, I like it.

You are right, it will not make their wall of fame. Nice looking and a decent overall package, but it doesn't provide the enjoyment that a BMW sport sedan used to that made them special. Something of an imposter of it's predecessors.

I am going to put a tire on next to maximize steering and leave it at that. Probably the best I can do with this platform without diving into more involved mods that I am just not interested in any longer.

I do enjoy this car overall including it's value, and plan to keep it a good long time, but I have my M3 to really satisfy me when the F30 is too uninspiring for my mood.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT

Last edited by metallicpea; 04-20-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #102
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As far as msport suspension goes, I had an F30 msport as a loaner for an extended period of time. Yes, it was tighter around the corners, but I found the ride to be overly busy and nervous, and I didn't find the damping to be that good. In the end, I didn't see enough difference to justify an extra 3k added to the sticker. I actually found the pre-LCI msport suspension to be a better compromise than the LCI.
With the LCI, they stiffened up the stock suspension quite a bit to where the non M sport ones I drove before getting my car felt fine to me. Definitely stiffer and sportier than the pre-LCI base suspension which was just too mushy for me. To do it over again, I would just get the post LCI with the standard suspension. Adaptive just not really worth the money to me either way.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #103
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
F36 is a 4GC, correct? If so, I had one with base suspension as a loaner once and yes, it definitely drove better than my car. But you give up things with the GC also. The rear visibility isn't very good, and although the car is bigger than the F30 on the outside, it's noticeably tighter on the inside. Throw in frameless doors and a higher price tag, and it gives pause when comparing to the 3-series. But yes, definitely a tighter driving experience.
Yes that's correct, f36 is the gc.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #104
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
The GC suspension is nice..(704 equipped here). It's the damn runflats that just KILL any semblance of handling. Make a quick u-turn and you just feel the tires push/squeal without much power applied. Just awful. No doubt a decent tire (MPilots anyone?)..would make this thing feel sooooooooo much better. My problem is my tires are fine at 19K miles..and I don't want to invest much into the car as I know I'm going to use it as a trade in on another BMW (we'll see), Audi or a Corvette. Even with the flash and the cars ability to pull away quickly, I want the WHOOMP of torque to hit me in the head. At 317lbs (as dyno'd), it's 'ok'..but not what I am satisfied with. No doubt the Audi won't impress me (I drove the S3 before buying my car..turbo lag and lack of any deals killed it.) I'll have to look at the 440 I'm sure.
      04-23-2018, 12:56 AM   #105
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah, the runflats blow. I wish I had a crystal ball and could see 17 months down the road. If I could negotiate a good buyout (like thousands below my residual) I would buy this car and drive it another 3-4 years, in which case, in 6 months when I get tires, I would get some good go flat tires and call it a day. But if I have to return at lease end, its gotta be run flats, so the next set of tires I get will prob be run flats again, which blows.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 05:46 AM   #106
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Yeah, the runflats blow. I wish I had a crystal ball and could see 17 months down the road. If I could negotiate a good buyout (like thousands below my residual) I would buy this car and drive it another 3-4 years, in which case, in 6 months when I get tires, I would get some good go flat tires and call it a day. But if I have to return at lease end, its gotta be run flats, so the next set of tires I get will prob be run flats again, which blows.
Right there with you. I'm not sure the original RFT summers are going to last until lease-end, even though I only run them for 7 to 8 months out of the year. I really don't want to buy another set. I wish I had pulled them immediately when I got the car. I have room, I could have just stored them.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #107
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post

Did BMW really just get in a tie with a Kia?
Yes, because Stinger killed it on Price.
However, my concern is that BMW got the lowest scores in the areas it invented: ride quality, steering feel, handling and brakes!
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #108
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Just pull the current run flats before they are shot, get some Firestone Indy 500s and enjoy the crap out of them. Set the used runflats aside and put them back on before lease turn in. Cheaper than spending on another set of overpriced runflats and you get to enjoy a decent tire.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #109
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right there with you. I'm not sure the original RFT summers are going to last until lease-end, even though I only run them for 7 to 8 months out of the year. I really don't want to buy another set. I wish I had pulled them immediately when I got the car. I have room, I could have just stored them.
They wont dude. Do what I did on my last lease and get a set of used summer run flats 6 months or so out from lease end. I got a full set of continentals with 7/32 tread and it was like $400 incl. install

Appreciate 0