F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive system keeps rebooting when connected to phone via bluetooth
proTUNING Freaks

04-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Kagawa26
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

iDrive system keeps rebooting when connected to phone via bluetooth

Hi guys,

I have just run into the weirdest problem today, while driving, my idrive system (NBT/pro nav) on my 328i kept rebooting itself, screen going black and music stops and making the whole system reboot sound. After the reboot it will play music from my USB stick and continue for a random amount of time (usually about 5 mins) and it will reboot again.

Now I was able to isolate the problem down to the bluetooth pairing with my phone. If I don't connect it to my phone, it seems to work fine. As soon as I connect my phone, the reboots happen.

I don't understand why this is the case, I had no issues whatsoever with the bluetooth phone connection before, it just started happening out of the blue today.

Anyone else got this issue? Is it something wrong with the phone (HTC one)?? (I doubt it as I didn't change anything on the phone). Oh and of course I've done the reboot phone, reconnect bluetooth etc but the issue is very consistent; connect phone bluetooth to car, and nav will reboot.

Last edited by Kagawa26; 04-01-2014 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Audifan
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i Xi M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagawa26
Hi guys,

I have just run into the weirdest problem today, while driving, my idrive system (NBT/pro nav) on my 328i kept rebooting itself, screen going black and music stops and making the whole system reboot sound. After the reboot it will play music from my USB stick and continue for a random amount of time (usually about 5 mins) and it will reboot again.

Now I was able to isolate the problem down to the bluetooth pairing with my phone. If I don't connect it to my phone, it seems to work fine. As soon as I connect my phone, the reboots happen.

I don't understand why this is the case, I had no issues whatsoever with the bluetooth phone connection before, it just started happening out of the blue today.

Anyone else got this issue? Is it something wrong with the phone (HTC one)?? (I doubt it as I didn't change anything on the phone). Oh and of course I've done the reboot phone, reconnect bluetooth etc but the issue is very consistent; connect phone bluetooth to car, and nav will reboot.
I had a similar issue with my blackberry Q10. I was told that there is a known issue whereby e mails with large distribution lists may cause the system to become unstable. I'm not fully convinced that this is the case as the first few weeks I had my car with large distribution e mails, everything worked fine. However, I decided to delete any e mails dated from the date problem started that had a large distribution lists, e mails with huge files attached and any spam e mail - ever since the problem never reoccurred. So it was definitely related to e mail, I think most likely a corrupt e mail or one with a large file attached. I continue to delete/move large distribution e mails (more than 30 people), e mails with huge attachments and spam mail. Let me know if this works for you
2007 VW GTi
2000 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
Kagawa26
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
I had a similar issue with my blackberry Q10. I was told that there is a known issue whereby e mails with large distribution lists may cause the system to become unstable. I'm not fully convinced that this is the case as the first few weeks I had my car with large distribution e mails, everything worked fine. However, I decided to delete any e mails dated from the date problem started that had a large distribution lists, e mails with huge files attached and any spam e mail - ever since the problem never reoccurred. So it was definitely related to e mail, I think most likely a corrupt e mail or one with a large file attached. I continue to delete/move large distribution e mails (more than 30 people), e mails with huge attachments and spam mail. Let me know if this works for you
Thanks Audifan, I tried this and it seemed to have worked. Unfortunately my work is all about emails with large attachments and large distribution lists, but at least now I know what the problem is. BMW should really fix this, if my phone can handle these emails surely my car should be able to as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
ahyiah
Registered
Rep
Drives: AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagawa26 View Post
Thanks Audifan, I tried this and it seemed to have worked. Unfortunately my work is all about emails with large attachments and large distribution lists, but at least now I know what the problem is. BMW should really fix this, if my phone can handle these emails surely my car should be able to as well?
i had the exact same problem. once i figured out it was only restarting when my bluetooth was connected, i started disabling features. once i turned off text messages and emails, all the issues went away.

i suspect... that the available memory is very limited and when it tries to sync a large amount of data, it just crashes the system
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I have the reverse issue with my LG G2 running Kitkat (phone reboots, not iDrive). Kitkat added the Message Access Profile which supposedly allows messaging to iDrive. Well, it shows texts, but no emails and even if it did, I find it kind of useless and not very functional.

That said, the side effect is that since adding MAP, my phone reboots randomly and calls disappear (not like a regular drop) only when on BT. If I disable MAP to the car, everything works fine (no reboots).

I have the latest iDrive software (from November 2013) and the latest upgrade to MN/TN from www.bmw.com/update. I asked dealer about the March 2014 update and I'm told iDrive software version did not change.
      12-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #6
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Super old thread here, but I'm having this exact same problem now. Dealership did a software update and it persists. Happened on my way home from the dealer after getting a bunch of other stuff done. It happened on my way TO the dealer initially, almost a month ago. If I disconnect my bluetooth, it stopped happening. After I got home, I parked, waited a few hours, and just tried it again and it seemed to be fine. I'll try again tomorrow as well, but wanted to resurrect this dead thread in case any one else had the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Looks like you have an identical issue that NBTevo units had a few years ago. That fix was to update I-Level to F020-18-03-530 (March 2018 release), but your dealer should have flashed everything to the latest and greatest when they replaced the head unit.
      12-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Looks like you have an identical issue that NBTevo units had a few years ago. That fix was to update I-Level to F020-18-03-530 (March 2018 release), but your dealer should have flashed everything to the latest and greatest when they replaced the head unit.
Are you speaking of the early NBT EVO with too little memory so they kept rebooting?
Appreciate 0