F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Gong Warning Sound Distortion - Anyone else?
Studio RSR

12-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
Gong Warning Sound Distortion - Anyone else?

Last night I got in my 328i and started it up only to hear the BMW gong alert noise completely distorted. I have posted a video of the sound by unbuckling my seat belt while the car was moving. The sound seemed to be slowed down. When I got back in the car this morning, all was okay but I wanted to post the video to see if anyone else had a similar issue.

12-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

that's strange. Nwver heard anything like that before.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaF30
Last night I got in my 328i and started it up only to hear the BMW gong alert noise completely distorted. I have posted a video of the sound by unbuckling my seat belt while the car was moving. The sound seemed to be slowed down. When I got back in the car this morning, all was okay but I wanted to post the video to see if anyone else had a similar issue.

It does not sound like distortion from a blown power amp stage or a failing loudspeaker.

Rather, the sound has the characteristic sound of jitter or latency typically found in packetized networks.

The fact that it cleared up helps to confirm it is not an amp or a speaker.

However, the fact that it is unusual could point to an issue with one of your cars electronic busses.

A seatbelt chime is generally a playback of a previously sampled sound. Thus, I would keep an eye on this. The seatbelt chime is a high priority process; however, it is not getting the priority it deserves due to a fault with another component. Or, there is increased latency on one of your cars networks or busses. This can be due to the lack of an appropriate ACK. This could result from something as simple as a bad bus or network connection. Or, it could point to something like a failing component starving the network or bus.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Or, there is increased latency on one of your cars networks or busses. This can be due to the lack of an appropriate ACK. This could result from something as simple as a bad bus or network connection. Or, it could point to something like a failing component starving the network or bus.
I think either of these makes the most sense since it went away with a system restart (turning off the car).

I am taking the car to the dealer next week to document the seat frame surface rust issue, but the dealer informed me that there is a software update that they will be performing as well. Maybe the software update will address this issue.