F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ESS Tuning?
GetBMWParts

03-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Jimminez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M-Sport

ESS Tuning?

I know that they have done superchargers for M3s but does anyone have insight to their F3x tunes?

ESS N20 28i spec E-Tronic Tuner

Past - F31 M Sport Estoril Blue - Thread - Pic

Current - 2021 Audi RS6 Avant
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimminez View Post
I know that they have done superchargers for M3s but does anyone have insight to their F3x tunes?

ESS N20 28i spec E-Tronic Tuner
They are new to this platform and product is brand new.
It will be very hard to find any reviews so soon.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
DRG1983
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

So it's a $700 RaceChip and a $300 usb flash drive? How exciting.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #4
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG1983 View Post
I wonder.... there seems to be quite a bundle of connectors there, more than usual. I know Racechip Ultimate and Active Autowerkes Active8 tunes look similar with almost identical harnesses (I suspect they are both made and branded by Speed-Buster in Germany), but this looks like it may be a little more like dinan or JB4.

I guess the only way to know is if it had Canbus connectivity. but there are no instructions and no details really on what it does/how it works.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
DRG1983
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubok View Post
I wonder.... there seems to be quite a bundle of connectors there, more than usual. I know Racechip Ultimate and Active Autowerkes Active8 tunes look similar with almost identical harnesses (I suspect they are both made and branded by Speed-Buster in Germany), but this looks like it may be a little more like dinan or JB4.

I guess the only way to know is if it had Canbus connectivity. but there are no instructions and no details really on what it does/how it works.
So this one is made by DTE Systems, not RaceChip. No installation instructions on their website. Active8 is a Speed-Buster box. I wish there was more transparency with these chiptuning boxes. It seems like every BMW forum ends up with a spreadsheet tracking all the various rebranded parts.
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2015, 01:51 AM   #6
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
So this one is made by DTE Systems, not RaceChip. No installation instructions on their website. Active8 is a Speed-Buster box. I wish there was more transparency with these chiptuning boxes. It seems like every BMW forum ends up with a spreadsheet tracking all the various rebranded parts.
No Kidding. Active Autowerke say they are working on a stage 2 tune, but there are no details available of what it includes. Actually, there is very little data on the real performance differences for each of the settings on the current A8 (only data for setting 6). As an engineer I find that rather odd, since it would have been quite easy for them to dyno their test car with the module at each setting... But they fob you off with some BS about 0.3PSI per click on the dial and a modified curve on the torque/power charts, that is just slightly off the standard setting (which they do have data for ).

It's a shame really, because the A8 (or Speed-Buster) unit does give a good bump in performance, even turned down somewhat.

To me though, making all the data available would only enhance your companies profile and standing. Not making it available only invites questions and criticism. I mean, what do you have to do to run setting 7,8 and 9... Anyone know? Race Gas and a DP perhaps?

I actually had a speedbuster unit when I was in Europe a few years ago, so I recognized it when I received it. That prompted me to contact Speed-Buster directly, to get the performance charts/data for each setting on the F30 N20 328i module, since I had no joy with AA. Guess what, Speed-Buster don't have it either. I also asked about their development plans for the F30 N20 platform. Surprise surprise, They say there are absolutely no plans.

Granted there is an assumption here, that Activ8 is in fact a re-branded Speed-buster unit, but if Active Autowerke is using Speed-Buster, why are they letting everyone think there is a stage 2 in the works...

Doh! I know the answer to that one because they will sell more units, to Muppets like me who want to believe that there tune is not a dead end road, where safely wringing out every ounce of torque and power is concerned.

If this notion is true, then shame on AA for using their decades of R&D and respected brand to peddle this without adding any real engineering or technology, and shame on me for falling for it.

If I am wrong, and I truly hope I am (that they do in fact have a stage 2 in the works), then I will be the first person to hold my hand up, and buy one... Their past genius after all does warrant giving it a fair go.

That said, call me cynical... but the likelihood is I will probably just be buying a re-branded JB4... Not that there is anything wrong with BMS, in fact I'm starting to think that Terry and BMS are the real deal. So really I should just save myself the time and money and go and get a JB4...

Alas I will keep the faith that AA will come through with their own Stage 2. Don't let me down Active Autowerke!

If you do it will be the last time...

Last edited by Stubok; 03-14-2015 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
RJH
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Quote:
No Kidding. Active Autowerke say they are working on a stage 2 tune, but there are no details available of what it includes. Actually, there is very little data on the real performance differences for each of the settings on the current A8 (only data for setting 6). As an engineer I find that rather odd, since it would have been quite easy for them to dyno their test car with the module at each setting... But they fob you off with some BS about 0.3PSI per click on the dial and a modified curve on the torque/power charts, that is just slightly off the standard setting (which they do have data for ).

It's a shame really, because the A8 (or Speed-Buster) unit does give a good bump in performance, even turned down somewhat.

To me though, making all the data available would only enhance your companies profile and standing. Not making it available only invites questions and criticism. I mean, what do you have to do to run setting 7,8 and 9... Anyone know? Race Gas and a DP perhaps?

I actually had a speedbuster unit when I was in Europe a few years ago, so I recognized it when I received it. That prompted me to contact Speed-Buster directly, to get the performance charts/data for each setting on the F30 N20 328i module, since I had no joy with AA. Guess what, Speed-Buster don't have it either. I also asked about their development plans for the F30 N20 platform. Surprise surprise, They say there are absolutely no plans.

Granted there is an assumption here, that Activ8 is in fact a re-branded Speed-buster unit, but if Active Autowerke is using Speed-Buster, why are they letting everyone think there is a stage 2 in the works...

Doh! I know the answer to that one because they will sell more units, to Muppets like me who want to believe that there tune is not a dead end road, where safely wringing out every ounce of torque and power is concerned.

If this notion is true, then shame on AA for using their decades of R&D and respected brand to peddle this without adding any real engineering or technology, and shame on me for falling for it.

If I am wrong, and I truly hope I am (that they do in fact have a stage 2 in the works), then I will be the first person to hold my hand up, and buy one... Their past genius after all does warrant giving it a fair go.

That said, call me cynical... but the likelihood is I will probably just be buying a re-branded JB4... Not that there is anything wrong with BMS, in fact I'm starting to think that Terry and BMS are the real deal. So really I should just save myself the time and money and go and get a JB4...

Alas I will keep the faith that AA will come through with their own Stage 2. Don't let me down Active Autowerke!

You make a strong case for a unbiased comparison test. So many unsubstantiated and seat of the pants claims shy potential buyers away. Personally, it is less about the money, then knowing what's inside the black box (figuratively speaking). As an engineer, you know the concept is simple; but execution is king.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
Jimminez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M-Sport

Yah, as mentioned, not much info available but am in contact with them and will provide details if people are interested.

Past - F31 M Sport Estoril Blue - Thread - Pic

Current - 2021 Audi RS6 Avant
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Oh great another overpriced jb4 lol
      03-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #10
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:

Active8 does indeed come from Speed-Buster, and Active8 only has rpm integration (extra wire).

Quote:
275hp/295tq but RC says 296/309 but wow for $900+ heck no

Quote:
+1

Quote:

+1 Have you installed it yet?
If I didn't have my Racechip, I' was going to get the aFe Scorcher.
But the forum members that were providing feedback, reviews, the good response form RC Tech and Engineers, among seeing Dyno numbers from individuals, made me feel sure I was getting something more than a stage1 tune on top of that MPG improvement where the other stage1 tunes don't provide that.

aFe scorcher its like getting bms stage 1 + cable = ends up being the same price, but i don't need to bother plugging in my laptop etc.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Last edited by FSociety; 03-29-2015 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 1