F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Got sent home with a brand new car in limp mode?
ARMA SPEED

05-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
davegill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi Coupe

Angry Got sent home with a brand new car in limp mode?

I went to pick up my new X5 yesterday from Auto West BMW in Richmond, BC. They had me sign the paperwork and transfer my insurance over. And then when they are about to give me the keys, they tell me that they are still waiting on a "code" for the MPPK, and that there is an error displayed in the dash. They asked to keep the car until they received the code. I said sure, give me a courtesy car for the time being. They told me they didnt have any, and that I would have to walk to a rental car place nearby and rent a car myself, and they would reimburse me. As I was trying to figure out in my head how they could offer such poor service, they then told me the truck was actually fine to drive in the time being, and to just ignore the error in the dash.

I reluctantly agreed, and was on my way, only to quickly realize this truck was not driving normally at all. I had to slam the accelerator to build up any speed at all. By this time I was on the highway, so I called up my sales agent and informed him. His response was to just drive it like that, because there were no other options at that point. So now I'm sitting here with a brand new X5 that barely moves... waiting for my sales agent to call me once they receive this code they are waiting for.

I'm debating contacting BMW Canada and complaining. How the hell do you send a customer home with a new car that you KNOW isn't running correctly? How do you not inform me that you're still waiting for a code before I come for collection? Why wait until after I sign off on all the paperwork and transfer my insurance over? I'm extremely annoyed. Regardless to say I won't be buying from this dealer again, but I'm wondering if anybody has any advice on how I can proceed.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Chrisupra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i F30 N20

Reading that infuriated me on your behalf. I would escalate this as much as possible. This is your hard earn coin my friend and you're being fucked around. Totally unacceptable in my eyes and I would have zero tolerance from here on out.

Go above them, call BMW Canada or ask to speak with the manager of the place you bought. All good starting points.

Also, you could contact consumer affairs (I would do that now) and explain the situation. Giving you the bad news after the purchase is a big no no.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
sukhparm.7
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

I thought you could return the car within a week if there is any problem with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
davegill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisupra View Post
Reading that infuriated me on your behalf. I would escalate this as much as possible. This is your hard earn coin my friend and you're being fucked around. Totally unacceptable in my eyes and I would have zero tolerance from here on out.

Go above them, call BMW Canada or ask to speak with the manager of the place you bought. All good starting points.

Also, you could contact consumer affairs (I would do that now) and explain the situation. Giving you the bad news after the purchase is a big no no.
I got in touch with the GM at the dealership. He was pretty rude and short about everything and just boiled it all down to miscommunication... whatever the fuck that means.

So I sent an email to BMW Canada. Next thing you know, the service manager from the dealership calls me, and tells me the codes are ready and that they have another x5 for me to drive in the meantime. I don't know why they wouldn't have just done this from the get go. Would have saved us both a lot of headache. I guess they just hoped I would just put up with it and not complain. I picked up my truck today and everything seems to be in order. They threw in black grills to compensate me. Which isn't a lot, but its something.

I still plan on letting BMW Canada hear all about experience. The GM is just full of himself, and he belittles his customers and his own employees... he called the sales agent an idiot in front of me. Needless to say, I'll never be going back there, not even for service.

Thanks for your advice!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
frazervalley
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good to know to avoid that dealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegill View Post
I went to pick up my new X5 yesterday from Auto West BMW in Richmond, BC. They had me sign the paperwork and transfer my insurance over. And then when they are about to give me the keys, they tell me that they are still waiting on a "code" for the MPPK, and that there is an error displayed in the dash. They asked to keep the car until they received the code. I said sure, give me a courtesy car for the time being. They told me they didnt have any, and that I would have to walk to a rental car place nearby and rent a car myself, and they would reimburse me. As I was trying to figure out in my head how they could offer such poor service, they then told me the truck was actually fine to drive in the time being, and to just ignore the error in the dash.

I reluctantly agreed, and was on my way, only to quickly realize this truck was not driving normally at all. I had to slam the accelerator to build up any speed at all. By this time I was on the highway, so I called up my sales agent and informed him. His response was to just drive it like that, because there were no other options at that point. So now I'm sitting here with a brand new X5 that barely moves... waiting for my sales agent to call me once they receive this code they are waiting for.

I'm debating contacting BMW Canada and complaining. How the hell do you send a customer home with a new car that you KNOW isn't running correctly? How do you not inform me that you're still waiting for a code before I come for collection? Why wait until after I sign off on all the paperwork and transfer my insurance over? I'm extremely annoyed. Regardless to say I won't be buying from this dealer again, but I'm wondering if anybody has any advice on how I can proceed.
While I agree this is piss poor and unacceptable Customer Service, why would you ever sign the paperwork for a car without starting it up or test driving it first?

That was a serious mistake on your behalf.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 06-26-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

I didn't sign the papers until I did the quick look over and test drive. That puts the pressure on the sales guy to get everything fixed asap.

After you sign the papers, sales doesn't care any more.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      06-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
davegill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
While I disagree this is piss poor and unacceptable Customer Service, why would you ever sign the paperwork for a car without starting it up or test driving it first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
I didn't sign the papers until I did the quick look over and test drive. That puts the pressure on the sales guy to get everything fixed asap.

I've purchased several BMW's before and never had any issues like this. The cars have always been perfect. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a brand new $90k vehicle to be running properly, but I won't be doing that again. Lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
While I disagree this is piss poor and unacceptable Customer Service, why would you ever sign the paperwork for a car without starting it up or test driving it first?

Quote:

I've purchased several BMW's before and never had any issues like this. The cars have always been perfect. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a brand new $90k vehicle to be running properly, but I won't be doing that again. Lesson learned.
Lol, I meant agree with you, disagree with their customer service, but you know that.

Trust. But verify.

What happens when you assume?

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 06-26-2018 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #10
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
the expectation is totally correct. But there's a good reason no Canada BMW dealership ever makes the annual BMW Center of Excellence list for BMW North America: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US

BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
But there's a good reason no Canada BMW dealership ever makes the annual BMW Center of Excellence list for BMW North America:
The main reason for this is that BMW Canada is not a part of BMW North America.
      06-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
The main reason for this is that BMW Canada is not a part of BMW North America.
I stand corrected

Appreciate 0