F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Interview for new job, how much?
Studio RSR

08-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #23
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hmm £50-65k maybe, I hope so for you.

MK roundabouts ☺
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      08-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #24
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymj View Post
The rail industry, in Milton Keynes? That will be Network Rail then! (I live in MK) .
I'm afraid it's not network rail but for obvious reasons I'm not going to say who the company is on a forum, well not at this point anyway

Don't suppose you travel north on a5 for your commute do you? I was wondering what the A5 through towcester was like at peak hours? I imagine its pita
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #25
SDH
Captain
Rep

By the way what's the best answer for that god awful interview question "so what is your biggest weakness?" Ive always tried to make my answer relevant to the role without affecting my chances of actually getting the job. That's relatively simple for a job I'm already doing but like I said, never been a manager so not sure how to approach this one yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #26
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH View Post
By the way what's the best answer for that god awful interview question "so what is your biggest weakness?" Ive always tried to make my answer relevant to the role without affecting my chances of actually getting the job. That's relatively simple for a job I'm already doing but like I said, never been a manager so not sure how to approach this one yet?
find something that an employer would be able to see as a positive too.

Eg do not say, I'm not so great at planning
Eg do say, Ive occasional found it hard to say no to taking on extra work in busy times. This has caused challenges in my prioritisation of workload etc etc

Just think of a slight weakness that's not exactly a weakness. Have this and all your standard answers written down and rehearsed....BUT do not jump into rehearsed mode answers.... look like you're thinking for an example then go.
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      08-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #27
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH
Make your weakness a strength. "My biggest weakness is sometimes caring too much, I really hate failure."
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      08-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #28
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

By the way, my two penneth on the salary thing - you should ask them for a guide before you say why you want. Two scenarios that can play out otherwise:

"What's the salary scale?"
"65 to 80k sir."
"Lovely, I was looking at 75 so let's meet again."

Or

"I'd like 50k please."
"The job scale was up to 80k so you're very much under budget, thanks, we love you."
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      08-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #29
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH
If they ask this, it's not a place you want to work.... More likely they'll ask "So why you/what will you bring?" or "What drove you to apply for this job?"

But seriously, if they do:

Break the ice a bit.... "It may sound like a cliché answer but let's me honest, it's a cliché question... I view weakness as a good thing since it highlights an area to develop.... For example I used to find saying no was a particular weakness so I positioned myself in such a way that I don't say no. Now I say, sure I can do that 11th thing but help me understand which of my current list of 10 we should deprioritise?.... This enabled me to both plan my workload effectively, manage potential stressful situations but also develop colleague's understanding of the biggest picture."

Then go on...

"So today my biggest weakness may be my lack of experience in managing a team. I'll tackle that with a 90 day plan... (Do some research on 90 day plans if you're unfamiliar - great tool)... First 30 days I'll learn about the team, what makes them tick, what are their issues and development needs. Next 30 days I will understand the market and customer base (internal/external). Finally I'm the last 30 days I will formulate and present my plan for taking the team/business forward; what we will do, what I will do and what support I need.

Then I'll talk about my next weakness.....

Key point, have confidence and talk confidently about both what you know and that you don't. If there's a gap in your knowledge don't hide it but tell them up front that you considered it and how you would fill that gap.

Have you been asked to present? That's often a nice way to start.

The very best of luck.....
SDH409.00
      08-06-2016, 01:35 AM   #30
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
If you have what it takes to do this job, then that's a pretty good set. Ever thought of going freelance?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      08-06-2016, 03:06 AM   #31
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

A few pointers which may help :

Never go for an interview (interview = interrogation, therefore one-sided); go for a business meeting (more of an equal footing).

Think (including preparation), act and talk as if you are already in the role. That's not to suggest you should be cocky or arrogant, but it can change your persona for the better - 'accepting' you already have the job can remove/reduce nervousness and allow you to think more about the job itself rather than the interview process.

Remember that, proportionally, there are very few good interviewers. They may not know what to do apart from ask standard questions. Make the experience easier for both of you by giving eloquent answers, weave-in what YOU want to say by using good examples, and ask plenty of questions about the company and the role which demonstrate your interest and ability.

Take notes.

Follow-up with a thank you and ask any additional questions you have having de-briefed yourself. This additional attention to detail and interest will help to set you apart from other candidates.

Best of luck.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      08-06-2016, 03:27 AM   #32
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M50d View Post
From my (commercial and sales) perspective this is a national, strategic role which could equate to a national level sales manager, business development manager or similar.
You must be good at sales :-)
How did you derive any of that from that ad?

I hope the OP finds out the salary and let's us all know. I'm intrigued now as I boiled the ad down to, an MS Project planner with 5 years experience supplying and report scheduling info to the business teams. £80K!!

If I'm wrong fair play, go for it!
You are very wrong I'd say.

If we follow your logic through then because I know how to use Excel then I'm pretty much an accountant, and I'm not bad with Word too, so perhaps I'm a writer....

That so many projects don't go to plan suggests that it's a far harder job than you seem to give it credit for.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      08-06-2016, 03:32 AM   #33
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

OP, it's very difficult to know salaries across jobs, but I'm with Watsey and Mark in thinking this is a 60k+ basic kind of job. Once you're leading people in skilled positions then there are fewer folk around with ability, and prepared to take the hassle.

It's going to be your biggest challenge - first proper team leading/line management position.... You've got to convince the folk across the table from you that others will respect and follow you.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      08-06-2016, 05:33 AM   #34
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I'm really surprised a person at this level would even accept a job interview without knowing the salary range. Could be a complete waste of time for both parties. Whilst interview types can differ, this is not an 'informal chat' type, where you are both feeling each other out. It sounds like a straight corporate, HR present type interview, with many candidates being seen.

I would phone up HR and ask before going. You could impress and then ask for what they think is some ridiculous salary and blow it all.
Whilst the spec sheet sounds really important, I'm aware that this is also a huge company. Big corporations love dressing up the role description, making it sound more important than it is.
Big companies use a pay grading system, ask what grade this job fits into and then what that means. There is your salary range.
Appreciate 2
SDH409.00
JustChris17483.00
      08-06-2016, 06:10 AM   #35
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad View Post
If they like you and your skills base then ask them to make you an offer
That was essentially going to be my point.

Treat it like buying a car and NEVER tell them a figure you have in mind as they may well offer you more.
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      08-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #36
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey

Never go for an interview (interview = interrogation, therefore one-sided); go for a business meeting (more of an equal footing).

Think (including preparation), act and talk as if you are already in the role. That's not to suggest you should be cocky or arrogant, but it can change your persona for the better - 'accepting' you already have the job can remove/reduce nervousness and allow you to think more about the job itself rather than the interview process.

Remember that, proportionally, there are very few good interviewers. They may not know what to do apart from ask standard questions. Make the experience easier for both of you by giving eloquent answers, weave-in what YOU want to say by using good examples, and ask plenty of questions about the company and the role which demonstrate your interest and ability.

Take notes.

Follow-up with a thank you and ask any additional questions you have having de-briefed yourself. This additional attention to detail and interest will help to set you apart from other candidates.

Best of luck.
This.

In a perfectly formed nutshell.
      08-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #37
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M50d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey

Take notes.

Best of luck.
This.

In a perfectly formed nutshell.
+1

Excellent post Watsey
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #38
WeaverBeaver
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
Make your weakness a strength. "My biggest weakness is sometimes caring too much, I really hate failure."
Interviewers see right through that kind of response, it really doesn't work at all and comes across as cheesy and many interviewers will roll their eyes...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #39
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaverBeaver
Quote:
Interviewers see right through that kind of response, it really doesn't work at all and comes across as cheesy and many interviewers will roll their eyes...
I wouldn't of thought any decent interviewers at that level would ask that question.

When I interview it's all based on experience relevant to the position.

"Can you give me an example of how you have previously motivated and led your team to hit a particular deadline?"

"Can you tell me how you have approached X Y Z" etc

All based on what they have achieved previously and relevant to the position they are applying for. Nothing hypothetical or subjective.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      08-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #40
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaverBeaver
Quote:
I wouldn't of thought any decent interviewers at that level would ask that question.

"Can you give me an example of how you have previously motivated and led your team to hit a particular deadline?"

"Can you tell me how you have approached X Y Z" etc

All based on what they have achieved previously and relevant to the position they are applying for. Nothing hypothetical or subjective.

Competency based interviewing - the best way.
Rukka2647.00
      08-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #41
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post

If you interview people then you must be aware of the importance of coming across well.

*Wouldn't HAVE
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 02:40 AM   #42
SDH
Captain
Rep

One question for the managers...

Should I tell my current manager I'm looking for another job?

Would it be a show of strength/honesty or career suicide?

In a previous role I told my manager I was looking for alternate employment, he asked for a few days before I continued with my search. He returned with an offer of a new role and huge pay increase. Unfortunately the relationship with that company was broken and in my opinion irreversible, in fact I already had one foot out of the door.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 03:45 AM   #43
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH View Post

In a previous role I told my manager I was looking for alternate employment, he asked for a few days before I continued with my search. He returned with an offer of a new role and huge pay increase. Unfortunately the relationship with that company was broken and in my opinion irreversible, in fact I already had one foot out of the door.

I would say not at this point. You may not get offered the job and you've then showed your hand early.

If the interview goes well and you get offered the job, they that is the time to tell him.

He may well then come back with a counter offer to keep you but you are now holding all the cards. You have an offer of a new job but you may also like the comfort and security of your current employer so may be able to cut a compromise.

Your current manager may not even know you have managerial aspirations?

About 10 years ago I was really unhappy with the way I was being treated with another company - basically, I didn't think they were paying my worth. I had taken on loads of extra responsibility, effectively merging 3 teams underneath me and managing support across multiple locations in the North West.

At review time, I was offered a measly 5% salary increase. I was miffed to say the least and almost immediately applied for a few alternate jobs (one where I had been a contractor before)

Long story short - I got offered the job and then told my manager I what I was doing. He sh1t himself and asked what it would take me to stay. I told him a 55% increase in salary. When he had finished choking he set about talking to the directors and they offered it to me - with a few conditions (half now half later) but at this point I had made my mind up to go - so I left anyway.

Best move I made and I still work there 10 years later....

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      08-08-2016, 03:58 AM   #44
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH

I have a really clear opinion in this (although no longer relevant as I am now independent), and to a counter-offer situation - never.

If you've made it known that you are actively looking for career development and none has been forthcoming, why would a sudden offer based on a decision to leave (or plan to leave) be genuine for either party ?

If it's time to, it's time to go.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
SDH409.00
BnB179.50