F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Wind-Noise Issues
Extreme Powerhouse

11-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #903
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
After hearing the siren/whistle I manually turned the mirrors in and made sure everything lined up, slid the plastic trim between the doors and roof so the front windshield upper seal rested nicely and made minor minute adjustments to the door latches where pushing on the door while it was closed resulted in very little inward movement. I haven't heard any abnormal noise since, there's still some buffeting you hear of air bouncing off the door glass over 70mph and I think more tire/road noise penetrating the floor than you'd expect in this price segment but I'm happy, never had to bring it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #904
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Sounds about the same then. When I bought the car in July, it was VERY pronounced. Now 6000km/4000mi later, it isn't occurring as much anymore. Before it sounded like those wildlife whistles they used to sell.

Could be after closing the door enough times the rubber seats in better or something. I figured I'd enquire when it goes in for the first service.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #905
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark View Post
The 2017 is as bad, if not worst than mine at the exact same location as mine.
+1

Took delivery of a 2017 F31 (Nov build) and I have this issue. Noticeable at speeds above ~55mph.

On the drive home from the dealer, I thought it was due to the wraps and covers I applied to the front to protect against road debris. But after spending the last 4 days detailing it, the issue came up again on a clean car.

Oddly, my 2014 F30 does not have this issue at all.
      01-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #906
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

I'm experiencing some wind noise as well, and after 42 pages of reading, here is what I can conclude:

There are three potential areas that contribute to wind noise on the F30.

1) Windshield trim

The windshield drip rails cause noise, the fix is to install the new components

51 13 7 321 818 B1-Clip (Qty 10)
51 31 7 258 187 B1-Drip moulding, left (1)
51 31 7 258 188 B1-Drip moulding, right (1)

2) Loose window seal

Shown here as item 1, there is a visible gap between the glass and seal near the rear top of the windows. You can check for this gap visually. The fix is to install new front and left window guides:

51 33 7 258 325
51 33 7 258 326

3) Window seal folded near mirrors

SI B51 22 12
Body Equipment

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B5122 12 dated June 2012.
designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT

Wind Noise from Front Door Window Seal by Side Mirror

MODEL

F30

From start of production (SOP) to June 2012

SITUATION

The front window may have wind noise by the side mirror when driving.

CAUSE

The window guide seal is not properly fitted to thedoor.

PROCEDURE

With the window closed, confirm the location of thedeformed (folded-in) window guide seal near the mirror
triangle, and then proceed to the next step.

1. On the affected front door, check
both sides of the seal and locate
the folded-in area.

2. This close-up shows the folded-in seal area. Insert a narrow
nylon tool from above the fold
and between the window glass
and seal. Gently work the tool
downward, and pry the seal
outward to eliminate the folded
area.

3. Confirm that both the inside and
outside of the front window glass
are parallel to the seal and
uniform with no folds. The
window must remain closed for a
minimum of two hours for the
seal to “learn” the new position

Now then, does anyone have a DIY on how to install these?

Last edited by Big_CG; 01-09-2017 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
otay826.00
      01-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #907
musicalstar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330D Msport

excellent thread, try this simple fix first

This is a very helpful summary. I had the high pitched whistling noise at 45-70mph, sounding a bit like a turbocharger whistle. I took off the left side drip moulding (this is a UK right hand drive 2015 model 330D, touring), clipped it back in, a little lower down as this seemed to fit better, then taped the drip moulding and the mirror/window seal, and went for a test drive. The whistle had completely gone. I took off the drip mould tape, and it was still good. Then I took off the mirror/window tape. Still good, so just re-clipping the drip moulding and moving it down about 5mm cured it.

I suspect that the noise emanates from the little gap at the bottom of the drip moulding, and if this is closed up as far as it will go, it cures it. i just wonder if those who have replaced the drip moulding simply had it put back on correctly, and this was the cure, rather than the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #908
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Interesting. I noticed that gap at the bottom also- looks unfinished. I will try moving the drip molding down today and see if it restores it.

I was also looking at the extremely large drip molding on the roof of the car, between the top of the door and the edge of the roof. I wonder if these huge channels are funneling air and making a bunch of noise. Maybe a good fix would be to fit a thin rubber piece across the length?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #909
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
This thread is awesome!

Looks like the passenger-side drip moulding is causing my wind noise issues. Placed some painters tape over this area and the noise is gone!

This makes my trip to the dealer much easier.

EDIT: It was a 2-3 inch long gap between the A-pillar body and the drip moulding. The gap is really subtle and hard to spot, but I was able to pinpoint it with a piece of paper:

No where else on the passenger side or the driver side has this large of a gap. Covering that with painters tape quickly eliminated the noise.

Last edited by capt_slow; 02-27-2018 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 11:57 PM   #910
Tavicu
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_CG View Post
I'm experiencing some wind noise as well, and after 42 pages of reading, here is what I can conclude:

There are three potential areas that contribute to wind noise on the F30.

2) Loose window seal

Shown here as item 1, there is a visible gap between the glass and seal near the rear top of the windows. You can check for this gap visually. The fix is to install new front and left window guides:

51 33 7 258 325
51 33 7 258 326
I have this problem too and I've read this thread trying to find a solution. Tomorrow i will do the paper test but as i did some research i find that the two parts from the post I quoted where ended on 10/17/2015 and replaced by new ones.

For example: 51337258325 was replaced by 51337414531.

Anyone has more info regarding this? Is the new part fixing this problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #911
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Do you guys not think a majority of the wind noise is from BMW using thinner side window glass as weight savings? I've had the F30 which had horrible wind noise issues which some was certainly attributed to leakage around the seals as I could push on the glass to reduce it, but with that, it still had other wind noise. I now drive a F36 and although much better than my earlier F30, I still have wind noise and having frameless doors, there does not appear to be any wind seepage whatsoever through window seals, but there is still wind noise through the door or glass itself. I have frigged with this for 5 years now and have never been able to pinpoint the root of the issue and glass thickness is all I have left to suggest. I think between myself and other members here, we have tried just about every other possibility.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 07:33 AM   #912
Strudle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG X1, 2017 MW 430

Is this problem unique to the F30/31? I just picked up a 2017 Gran Coupe and it's super quiet, no wind noise. I know blue mark mentioned wind noise with his 2016 GC. Maybe something changed in 2017? I really can't hear any wind noise at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #913
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strudle View Post
Is this problem unique to the F30/31? I just picked up a 2017 Gran Coupe and it's super quiet, no wind noise. I know blue mark mentioned wind noise with his 2016 GC. Maybe something changed in 2017? I really can't hear any wind noise at all.
My F36 GC seems worst now than when I purchased it. Now, the peculiar thing with mine is there is a highway near me that I notice very very little of what I perceive as wind noise when I drive on it, but as soon as I go onto another highway, it returns. After experiencing this, I've wondered if, what I perceived as wind noise, was actually road noise that sounds strikingly like wind noise. The thing is that I still here passing traffic as though the window is cracked and that definitely is not being created by road noise.

Also, I found this reference to a fix, but pictures would have helped: http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthr...d=64484&page=2
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #914
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
My F36 GC seems worst now than when I purchased it. Now, the peculiar thing with mine is there is a highway near me that I notice very very little of what I perceive as wind noise when I drive on it, but as soon as I go onto another highway, it returns. After experiencing this, I've wondered if, what I perceived as wind noise, was actually road noise that sounds strikingly like wind noise. The thing is that I still here passing traffic as though the window is cracked and that definitely is not being created by road noise.

Also, I found this reference to a fix, but pictures would have helped: http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthr...d=64484&page=2
What are they referring to as "belly pan?"
      03-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #915
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

03-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #916
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Don't know what specifically they are referring to. That's why I said pictures would have been nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #917
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't know what specifically they are referring to. That's why I said pictures would have been nice.
Can anyone help us out here in identifying the bell pan from the other forum?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #918
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalstar View Post
This is a very helpful summary. I had the high pitched whistling noise at 45-70mph, sounding a bit like a turbocharger whistle. I took off the left side drip moulding (this is a UK right hand drive 2015 model 330D, touring), clipped it back in, a little lower down as this seemed to fit better, then taped the drip moulding and the mirror/window seal, and went for a test drive. The whistle had completely gone. I took off the drip mould tape, and it was still good. Then I took off the mirror/window tape. Still good, so just re-clipping the drip moulding and moving it down about 5mm cured it.

I suspect that the noise emanates from the little gap at the bottom of the drip moulding, and if this is closed up as far as it will go, it cures it. i just wonder if those who have replaced the drip moulding simply had it put back on correctly, and this was the cure, rather than the replacement.
How do you unclip it? It just pops off? Mine is whistling on the left side as well, and wouldn't mind trying this to see if it fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 07:52 AM   #919
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Ok, recently my wind noise seems to be getting worst. Wen I purchased the car in Oct 2016, it was a pleasant and welcome change from my previous F30, but now it seems wind noise is starting to be fairly evident with my F36. What gives?

Surely the engineers at BMW have driven these cars and can figure out a fix for this. I was in a new Audi S5 recently and cabin quietness is night and day better over my 435.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #920
The.Lows
Rep
Drives: E91 330i '08 (272hp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
This thread is awesome!

Looks like the passenger-side drip moulding is causing my wind noise issues. Placed some painters tape over this area and the noise is gone!

This makes my trip to the dealer much easier.

EDIT: It was a 2-3 inch long gap between the A-pillar body and the drip moulding. The gap is really subtle and hard to spot, but I was able to pinpoint it with a piece of paper:

No where else on the passenger side or the driver side has this large of a gap. Covering that with painters tape quickly eliminated the noise.
Don't you think that this issue could be solved with a thin joint of clear silicone sealant ?

It would be quite inexpensive and simple if it does work !
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 01:46 AM   #921
palomino0527
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i sedan

hey i found it

Quote:
So i found what a f30 belly pan is , click here
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/31146850067/
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 03:40 AM   #922
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomino0527 View Post
Quote:
So i found what a f30 belly pan is , click here
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/31146850067/
I'm pretty sure that's not what they were talking about helping with wind noise.
      04-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #923
palomino0527
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's not what they were talking about helping with wind noise.
well thats al i could find and i was just trying to help.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #924
palomino0527
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Im going to try to replace these next week ill let you guys know if it helps

1) Windshield trim

The windshield drip rails cause noise, the fix is to install the new components

51 13 7 321 818 B1-Clip (Qty 10)
51 31 7 258 187 B1-Drip moulding, left (1)
51 31 7 258 188 B1-Drip moulding, right (1)
Appreciate 0