F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Winter tyres. Are they needed in the uk?
ARMA SPEED

08-19-2016, 01:54 AM   #1
Adespin99
Rep
Drives: X3

Winter tyres. Are they needed in the uk?

Hi,
I am looking for some advice. My son has recently bought a 2014 320d m sport running on 18 wheels and Pirelli P7 run flat tyres.
We live in an area that tends to have mild winters. What are forum members observations and experience regarding the winter tyre dilemma.
Also, how have people found the Pirelli P7 run flats and can anyone recommend an All Season tyre for his m sport.
Many thanks
Ade
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:43 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Tbh with the mild winters we get now I'm not going to put mine on unless we actually get snow or sub zero temps, which hasn't happened for 3 or 4 years!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:55 AM   #3
pienchips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Polestar 2 PPP

Same here, does anyone have any experience with an xdrive car and MPSS tyres in the "cold" winter months?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
djcowlin
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 330e

The only thing to bear in mind is that, if travelling to other parts of Europe (e.g. Germany), winter tyres are either compulsory or strongly recommended in the winter months. If your son plans to do all his driving in the UK, then that's obviously not a problem.
      08-19-2016, 03:00 AM   #5
mpawood
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435d xDrive M Sport

I had my car start of December. 4GC x drive with MPSS. Didn't have any issues at all, though it really was a mild winter.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 03:00 AM   #6
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I've had winters only for the last two mild winters and they have proved useful on occasion, though I don't think I've yet explored their full potential... Also, I don't think I've yet encountered a situation I wouldn't have managed on summers.

A couple of trips through minor snow and they have proved impressive.

During cold snap of 2010 I as driving a E90 SE on P7 tyres and got away with it. Though, lots of flashing TC light and a fair bit of stress. I couldn't even get off my drive if there was more than 1/2 an inch of snow and carried a shovel and a bag a grit all winter... I've driven up steeper slopes these last two mild winters with more snow cover with winters fitted with no issues.

During periods of heavy rain I have noted superior aquaplaning resistance and braking performance to my summers. However, once above 10C in the dry they are notably compromised.

Financially, their use notably prolongs the life of your summers and in the longer term you only really pay for the wheels. My Bridgestone summer rears are looking good for 25k, the previous cars P7's used rear round did 17k... However, my Pirelli winters look likely to be done by 11k... When buying a winter wheel set you generally go smaller than summer so winter tyres tend to cost less...
      08-19-2016, 03:10 AM   #7
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

On my 320D's I found a considerable reduction in tyre wear. by fitting a winter set when temps on average below 7 deg C,

For example on my e91 when used all year, the rear summers did 13000 miles. When only used in the summer months they lasted 20000 miles. So in practice, my E91 winters on steel wheels set had no real cost when I sold them on 3/4 quarters worn as they had saved a full set of summer tyres

In the South East, I usually fit my winters set from last week november to mid march but keep an eye on an American weather website that gives a 30 day forecast. Coincidentally winter seems well defined by the arrival and departure of brent geese
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 03:30 AM   #8
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

We've had this debate many times on this forum and there are many different points of view especially around whether they are needed by those of us living in the South.

However, my experience is the same as pmgreenwood with a considerable reduction in tyre wear. I've also found that the car is less likely to aquaplane on flooded winter roads possibly due to the narrower tyres.

I would add that for the rare occasions that we have snow down here, driving a powerful rear drive BMW in the snow can be interesting on normal tyres!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 03:40 AM   #9
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

Depends where you live, You only get rain in Wales any way so you should be ok
      08-19-2016, 03:45 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pienchips
Same here, does anyone have any experience with an xdrive car and MPSS tyres in the "cold" winter months?
I ran my M4 through winter on normal MPSS with no problems at all. Some snow but nothing crazy, just take your time and you're fine.
      08-19-2016, 04:44 AM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I had them on the M5 and M6 but TBH did not need them. I sold them in the end and do not intend buying any more.
      08-19-2016, 04:49 AM   #12
GaryUFM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G32 630iGT M Sport+

Living in the foothills of the Pennines (and on a massive slopey hill myself) I've been considering this, as we do often get snow up here, at least one week in the year. Kind of torn between that or just working from home when the snow comes!

Alternatively, I just thought about adding some weight over the back axle. I have a considerable amount of weights (as in weight plates and kettlebells) which are small, but dense. I thought about filling a plastic box in the boot, lashed down, with c200kg in it. Thoughts about this lo-tech solution, for those rare days in 365 that it might be an issue?
      08-19-2016, 05:00 AM   #13
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I bought a set of 18 inch alloys and fitted them to my 330d last winter, with new Continental winter contacts.

I was a real sceptic of winter tyres before this but I have to say I am sold. They inspire a lot of confidence on icy and snowy roads and not just that, they have a much deeper tread and push a lot more standing water out of the way in winter so they don't aquaplane at all.

I did a full on 30 mph stand on the brakes stop on a back road on snow last year and the brakes didn't lock up at all, no skid, nothing, just grip. It was really unbelievable so don't be fooled that 4wd will help because it wont help you stop. I can honestly say for braking and steering they are much much better.

The tyres are a bit more soft so the handling isn't as tight on corners, but the upside is of course you save some wear and tear on more expensive summer tyres.

I use the dealer storage and it works well, they swap over the summers and winters and store the wheels, its worth the £ for me to avoid the hassle.
      08-19-2016, 05:02 AM   #14
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

ps I put my winters on around the end of November until march time like some others have said.

Also if you do skid and hit a kerb, you bend a cheaper alloy not a nice 19 inch bi colour !
      08-19-2016, 05:06 AM   #15
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

That time of year again for the same old thread.

tuck in
Appreciate 3
Rukka2647.00
JustChris17483.00
      08-19-2016, 05:37 AM   #16
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUFM View Post
Living in the foothills of the Pennines (and on a massive slopey hill myself) I've been considering this, as we do often get snow up here, at least one week in the year. Kind of torn between that or just working from home when the snow comes!

Alternatively, I just thought about adding some weight over the back axle. I have a considerable amount of weights (as in weight plates and kettlebells) which are small, but dense. I thought about filling a plastic box in the boot, lashed down, with c200kg in it. Thoughts about this lo-tech solution, for those rare days in 365 that it might be an issue?
Adding weight may help grip for going but will have a negative effect to braking. Winter tyres are as much about the ability to stop as to start!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 06:45 AM   #17
Adespin99
Rep
Drives: X3

Thanks for all the replies so far. Even though this has been discussed before I believe safety is important and technology changes overtime and can influence decisions.
Looks like my son will not be getting winter tyres lol. However are the Pirelli P7 run flats any good or can someone recommend a better all season run flat tyre?
Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adespin99 View Post
...We live in an area that tends to have mild winters. What are forum members observations and experience regarding the winter tyre dilemma.
This is the difficult one in our UK climate. Even up here in the Highlands it is the unpredictable nature of our weather, short and long term. The fact we can have a few mild winters doesn't mean we can't, or don't have cold snaps, where winter tyres come into their own.

I run winter tyres, as getting caught out even over a day's change in weather makes it the safest winter option. Up here it isn't just the average winter temperatures, but temperature swings over a few hours and the way cold storms can come with virtually no notice. Also, driving over a range of altitude, from sea level to something like Drumochter on the A9, or Rannoch Moor on the A82, can be a complete change of winter conditions within an hour's drive. Personally I'd rather not limp home 'on the edge', when winter tyres give much more safety and stopping ability.

I follow the thinking, "if you can't stop, best not be moving".

Quote:
...Also, how have people found the Pirelli P7 run flats and can anyone recommend an All Season tyre for his m sport.
Many thanks
Ade
The US market have more All Season options than over here. They rate something like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, as a high performance All Season tyre. Personally I feel most All Season tyres fit the "jack of all trades, master of none", description. Although that is changing with high performance All Season tyres.
Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      08-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Adding weight may help grip for going but will have a negative effect to braking. Winter tyres are as much about the ability to stop as to start!!
Agree.

Adding weight can be a false security blanket. Weight is your enemy in slippery conditions, particularly if you do slide sideways, or need to brake, easier to find a ditch.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #20
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies so far. Even though this has been discussed before I believe safety is important and technology changes overtime and can influence decisions.
Looks like my son will not be getting winter tyres lol. However are the Pirelli P7 run flats any good or can someone recommend a better all season run flat tyre?
Many thanks
Goodyear Eagles, just about the best RFT out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 07:24 AM   #21
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb
HighlandPete house in mid July.......

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #22
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUFM

Weights? Probably the worst thing you could do.
Appreciate 0