F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > First 4 days in a 335d
GetBMWParts

11-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d

First 4 days in a 335d

Hi

I got my 335d Touring delivered on Monday and now I have managed to put a few miles on the clock heres a few random thoughts.

First off after 8y away from BMW it felt just right immediately, I ran an E46 330d Touring back in the day and it felt just like coming home. Its great to be in a proper car after several years in an SUV as well, Id got used to wafting and had forgotten about decent handling, speed and lack of lag - but even though its a lease car I haven't taken liberties with the rev limiter promise

The interior is great, the coming home thing as it really did feel like an evolution of my old car, if you'd put me in this blindfolded, removed the branding then let me open my eyes it would obviously be a small to medium sized BMW from the look and the feel.

The biggest difference is the idrive screen - I have Pro Nav. Its pretty stunning and the software is easy and intuitive. Ive set the presets on the dash to play Spotify from my phone, select a few DAB stations, phone home, show trip computer and toggle the split screen. Some of this can prob be done by voice command when I eventually RTFM.

My biggest bitch is also related to the Pro Media which is RTTI is pants, seriously crap in fact.
Earlier tonight there was utter gridlock on the motorway network, RTTI suggested I come off my motorway and head cross country to join several junctions further on whilst Waze disagreed. As its new and I had plenty of time I went for the BMW diversion. BIG MISTAKE.

Its been said here I know before that RTTI only looks at motorways and fast arterial A roads and as soon as I turned off I was stuck in stationary traffic crawling along at a snails pace. Its really annoying, the screen and maps are beautiful but if this is how its going to be then I should have saved the money, my actual arrival time was 30 mins later than Waze on a 2 1/2h journey so lesson learned.

Minor aggravation is that I have standard door mirrors which are both heated Im sure but the passenger mirror seems to clear faster when fogged over first thing in the morning and when it was icy his morning the option of a heated screen would have been useful and will be something I miss.

The standard audio set up isn't great but nor is it utter crap.

I’ll pass on commenting on economy and performance whist its still being run in other than up to 3k rpm it feels like it might be a bit of a monster and the fuel gauge moves impressively slowly on the motorway.

On the whole Im very happy so far.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
Trialskings
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Daddy Wagon

Lovely.

I'm 2yrs & 90k into my 335d and it still brings a smile to my face. Effortless progress in all conditions. A 'Q' car if ever there was one!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Awesome, I'd love to try a 335d to feel its power!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #4
Hoppy_70
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 335d m Sport

Love mine. Like a totally different car in sport mode, super quick!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
deasmi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive touring

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steces View Post
Hi

I got my 335d Touring delivered on Monday and now I have managed to put a few miles on the clock heres a few random thoughts.
I got mine Tuesday, coming from an 08 330i E91 manual, to the same 335d touring.

Didn't get the pro nav, but have added the RTTI afterwards. Doubt I'll be renewing, it is terrible. Time for a new Brodit mount I think for Waze.

It's like two totally different cars between comfort and Sports+. Enjoying commute in comfort much more than I expected, pretty effortless stop/start. Sport+ and it's grinning time.

As you say the standard audio nothing to write home about, I think a bit of a step down from the E91.

Having always driven manuals with the odd rental automatic the gearbox is a revelation and putting your foot down at 70 on the motorway will be a quick way to get into trouble.

Whilst I do slightly miss my old sport suspension when driving more vigorously I do not miss the crunching feeling going over speed bumps in London, so I'll happily live with the slightly less firm adaptive suspension.

Still haven't quite made my mind up about the steering. A run on some country roads Sunday will no doubt make my mind up.

Interior finish seems a proper step up, all in all continual smile on my face.

Did order in June however, so 0 marks for lease company, BMW or the dealer as it arrived with a faulty exhaust sensor then BMW de-registered and it sat on a fore court for another two weeks. Not an easy two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasmi View Post

Did order in June however, so 0 marks for lease company, BMW or the dealer as it arrived with a faulty exhaust sensor then BMW de-registered and it sat on a fore court for another two weeks. Not an easy two weeks.
I ordered mid September as a factory build
Broker quoted 16 weeks "to be safe" but I was driving it in exactly 10

Did you have any individual options on yours or other reasons for the wait??
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
duvetdo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d

Just at 1200 miles on mine; planning to let rip a bit over the weekend!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
deasmi
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I ordered mid September as a factory build
Broker quoted 16 weeks "to be safe" but I was driving it in exactly 10

Did you have any individual options on yours or other reasons for the wait??
'twas never adequately explained.

Message was that there was a very good deal for 335d and 'demand exceeded expectations' for BMW.
My brother in law had a similar delay when he ordered in Jan, this one due to lack of interior trim availability. Although his wasn't as long as mine.

I added, adaptive suspension and M Sports brakes, oh and the extended storage, that's it.

If you got one in ten then I've absolutely no idea....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
Norris-wf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d

Nice write up and I find the same with the rtti.
I'm only two months in myself so finally beginning to push the engine a bit more. The first 1200 miles are painful but worth the wait.

They really are a great car though, enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 04:51 AM   #10
firewallguy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

I'm buying mine through a leasing company and have been quoted nearly 5 months for delivery too. I wonder if it's an allocation thing as leasing companies presumably buy so many?
Can't even track it as I don't have an order number, but that may be a good thing, a watched kettle and all that.
I had one on loan all last week though and really liked the drivetrain, I think just having an auto box will be the biggest thing for me after driving manuals for 30 years, I can't be arsed to change gear myself any more. I've tried a few auto and dct boxes recently and the one in the 335 was the only one where I didn't feel the urge to use the flappy paddles once.
Didn't mind the suspension, had adaptive, but that's coming from an SUV, but still planning on fitting ACS springs for the looks as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 05:18 AM   #11
deasmi
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewallguy View Post
I'm buying mine through a leasing company and have been quoted nearly 5 months for delivery too. I wonder if it's an allocation thing as leasing companies presumably buy so many?
I think that may well be a factor.

When I was chasing the lease company basically said you're getting it cheap, so you wait.

I learnt a lot about patience, and that I have little.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy_70 View Post
Love mine. Like a totally different car in sport mode, super quick!
OMG - this with knobs on
My old E46 330d was fast but this is on another level

It has enough miles on the clock for a guilt free hoon this afternoon and Im blown away

Its stunningly quick and the traction is amazing, the roads were damp and a bit greasy and even some heavy provocation couldnt get the traction control to trip

Im very happy
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #13
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

You're not trying hard enough!

You can drive the xdrive cars differently because if the extra traction. Only really works in sport mode as you want the sharper throttle response and immediate effect on the power, but basically get on the power much earlier and the tail will come round momentarily, but then the front will pull you straight. It's a lot of fun and remarkably quick in these conditions. This is the time of year when this car makes the most sense.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
42law
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Re economy/performance - I got 49.2mpg last week from Warwick to London on the M40. Pretty chuffed with that given the power on tap. Like to see the 40 brigade do that....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
M40CCA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xdrive LCI msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazuaLLUK View Post
Awesome, I'd love to try a 335d to feel its power!
Come get the keys for mine mate you can take it for a weekend
      12-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #16
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M40CCA View Post
Come get the keys for mine mate you can take it for a weekend
Bit of a treck to Leeds!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Hi

First off after 8y away from BMW it felt just right immediately, I ran an E46 330d Touring back in the day and it felt just like coming home. Its great to be in a proper car after several years in an SUV as well, Id got used to wafting and had forgotten about decent handling, speed and lack of lag - but even though its a lease car I haven't taken liberties with the rev limiter promise

The interior is great, the coming home thing as it really did feel like an evolution of my old car, if you'd put me in this blindfolded, removed the branding then let me open my eyes it would obviously be a small to medium sized BMW from the look and the feel.

The biggest difference is the idrive screen - I have Pro Nav. Its pretty stunning and the software is easy and intuitive. Ive set the presets on the dash to play Spotify from my phone, select a few DAB stations, phone home, show trip computer and toggle the split screen. Some of this can prob be done by voice command when I eventually RTFM.

My biggest bitch is also related to the Pro Media which is RTTI is pants, seriously crap in fact.
Earlier tonight there was utter gridlock on the motorway network, RTTI suggested I come off my motorway and head cross country to join several junctions further on whilst Waze disagreed. As its new and I had plenty of time I went for the BMW diversion. BIG MISTAKE.

Its been said here I know before that RTTI only looks at motorways and fast arterial A roads and as soon as I turned off I was stuck in stationary traffic crawling along at a snails pace. Its really annoying, the screen and maps are beautiful but if this is how its going to be then I should have saved the money, my actual arrival time was 30 mins later than Waze on a 2 1/2h journey so lesson learned.

Minor aggravation is that I have standard door mirrors which are both heated Im sure but the passenger mirror seems to clear faster when fogged over first thing in the morning and when it was icy his morning the option of a heated screen would have been useful and will be something I miss.

The standard audio set up isn't great but nor is it utter crap.

I’ll pass on commenting on economy and performance whist its still being run in other than up to 3k rpm it feels like it might be a bit of a monster and the fuel gauge moves impressively slowly on the motorway.

On the whole Im very happy so far.

Cheers
UPDATE the nav Maps. 2017-1 is available, I have it and it's a big improvement.
      12-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42law View Post
Re economy/performance - I got 49.2mpg last week from Warwick to London on the M40. Pretty chuffed with that given the power on tap. Like to see the 40 brigade do that....
Tbh us 40i drivers didn't buy our cars to get 49.2 mpg.enjoy the car m8 it's not bad for a tractor
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 2
sahajesh2294.00
      12-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #19
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
How so?

I've got in on my car but haven't noticed any difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #20
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
How is it better?
Does it route more sensibly or is it just map detail?

The more I use the RTTI the less I trust it which is a shame as the Professional screen is superb, if only I could mirror Waze on it..........

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialskings View Post
Lovely.

I'm 2yrs & 90k into my 335d and it still brings a smile to my face. Effortless progress in all conditions. A 'Q' car if ever there was one!
90k in 2 years!? Are you a taxi driver?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 02:14 AM   #22
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Serious question, I have pro nav and after nearly 2 weeks am still running the previous maps

How or when do I get an over the air update?
Appreciate 0