F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > (Newbie) Looking to buy used F31 335d - Genera Advice Please!
proTUNING Freaks

09-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
moj91
Registered
Rep
Drives: Looking for the right F31

Question (Newbie) Looking to buy used F31 335d - Genera Advice Please!

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a used F31 335d in the coming weeks, at the moment very few are out there which are spec'd the way I would like, or close.

I've done the obligatory Googling, and suffice to say, i've wound up with more questions than answers..!

So, if anyone could help with the following I would be grateful:

Reliability, I am looking to keep this as a long term-er, what issues are currently common and I need to watch out for? Is the N57 looking like a decent high-mileage engine, or likely to fall apart/cost £££££ before it gets to 120k...

How plausible are these to DIY service? Once out of manufacturer's warranty/depreciation taking its toll, I've always carried out most servicing myself on my current/previous cars. I'm pretty competent, but am i going to need a full set of dealer software to reset a service light, or a special tool costing £600 to take out the oil filter...

Can I add a spare wheel well and wheel to either move away from runflats completely, and/or to have a spare should I trash a tyre and be stuck in the depths of eastern europe at 2am with no sign of a recovery and tyre shop nearby...?

How reliable is the X Drive transmission looking long-term? Obviously I am risking that the previous owner has used launch control at every set of lights and it has taken a beating, fingers crossed the car I choose has not been through that...

Is it hard/impossible to DIY change the brake pads on the larger M-Sport Plus front brakes? (and the discs for that matter)

Does having differing tread on the tyres cause issues with the X Drive?

I have a good friend with a 2 year old 435d, and he is over the moon with it, and has only had issues with the DAB signal (which seems to be common in the UK).

All thoughts/links very much welcome, it is looking like I may be buying from a non-franchised dealer as i'm struggling to find what I want, so I need to make sure I do my best to not buy a lemon!

Thanks!

moj91
Appreciate 0