F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mods and Insurance Declaration
GetBMWParts

02-21-2018, 04:13 AM   #23
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manivxr View Post

then you would seek redress from the wheel manufacturer if the wheel was substandard with regards to safety.

Yeah, good luck with that one.

I'm sure the company that made copies of £1600 wheels, for £400 are big on ISO9001, TS16949, ISO14001, etc and will show you traceability on the 'any old sh#t grade of aluminium' they use.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 04:25 AM   #24
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
They do seem unusually high figures for the 30d engine - close to 100bhp gain. I am always sceptical of rolling road numbers. Have you measured a standing quarter mile?
Quite ... from memory I think the car had a high reading as stock too.

Regarding mods and insurance I don't think they would get away with not paying out if you had an accident and didn't declare changing the grills from chrome to black .. but you might have problems if they found it was remapped and you hadn't declared that.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 04:45 AM   #25
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post

Regarding mods and insurance I don't think they would get away with not paying out if you had an accident and didn't declare changing the grills from chrome to black .. but you might have problems if they found it was remapped and you hadn't declared that.
Whilst that might be true. The reality will play out a little more long winded and stressful than your summation.

Chances are you'll get a response after an accident, which goes something like "your car had undisclosed modifications, which has rendered our policy null and void, we are therefore not paying out and closing your claim"

It will then be up to you to hire legal representation, and take the action to a court to decide upon who is right.
Long months of mounting legal bills, which if you lose will more than double as you'll be picking up their legal tab too. All this with no guarantee you will win.

As always in a David vs. Goliath situation, being right is not always as useful as you might think.

I think it's much easier to just inform them of everything?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:24 AM   #26
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
They do seem unusually high figures for the 30d engine - close to 100bhp gain. I am always sceptical of rolling road numbers. Have you measured a standing quarter mile?
Car was tested before and it was 290BHP

Standard car should be 258BHP not 245BHP

A lot of 30Ds run 285BHP standard
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:26 AM   #27
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Whilst that might be true. The reality will play out a little more long winded and stressful than your summation.

Chances are you'll get a response after an accident, which goes something like "your car had undisclosed modifications, which has rendered our policy null and void, we are therefore not paying out and closing your claim"

It will then be up to you to hire legal representation, and take the action to a court to decide upon who is right.
Long months of mounting legal bills, which if you lose will more than double as you'll be picking up their legal tab too. All this with no guarantee you will win.

As always in a David vs. Goliath situation, being right is not always as useful as you might think.

Exactly that, trying to be clever and not disclosing everything will end up in tears.

To much risk v the reward of keeping quiet
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #28
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post

Standard car should be 4258BHP not 245BHP

Cheers. I do have my reservations about rolling road figures, having had a very high figure from a previous car, and have seen other similarly surprising results. As businesses, they are in an odd position where all of their paying customers hope to see a high number. Rather like fortune tellers who tend to offer good news as it encourages repeat business.

It would be interesting to see if the quarter mile figure backed up that result. 345bhp sounds a lot from a 30d, but I'm no expert.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #29
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Cheers. I do have my reservations about rolling road figures, having had a very high figure from a previous car, and have seen other similarly surprising results. As businesses, they are in an odd position where all of their paying customers hope to see a high number. Rather like fortune tellers who tend to offer good news as it encourages repeat business.

It would be interesting to see if the quarter mile figure backed up that result. 345bhp sounds a lot from a 30d, but I'm no expert.
I agree, and not meaning to burst anyone's bouble but Id be surprised if anyones 330d can produce actual performance time figures to back up 340/350bhp readings unless the car has had other performance enhancing modifications done before the remap thus making it what's known in the trade as a stage 2 or 3 remap!

The important thing is to get a before and after reading done on the same dyno, that way regardless of the figure you at least have a good idea of the actual gains achieved by the remap
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #30
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

I won't disagree with your points here..they are good and valid, although I wouldn't be 'too concerned' about something like just the grills personally, hell if I had a accident I'd rip them off before the recovery truck arrived or swap them back over to the standard ones when I got home if the cars still drivable.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #31
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post

Standard car should be 258BHP not 245BHP

BS rolling road figures.

no way a 30d puts out 345 BHP.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #32
335dxdrive
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
BS rolling road figures.

My 335d made 400 bhp on the dyno with just stage 1, do you think that is also un-realistic ??
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #33
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
BS rolling road figures.

Typical response from someone who has only half the facts.

If you would have read the original post on this you would also have read that it's not the numbers that are important but the increase from the car on the same rollers on the same day (15 minutes before) in standard tune v the map.

The car increased by 52 BHP and 100Nm

I am not interested in pub talk numbers but the increase over stock
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #34
Liquidfox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Also insurance companies can’t refuse payouts because of undeclared mods anymore, the government put a stop to that a couple of years ago.
They can void your policy, leaving you with a massive bill and an IN10 conviction.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #35
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfox View Post
Quote:
Also insurance companies can’t refuse payouts because of undeclared mods anymore, the government put a stop to that a couple of years ago.
They can void your policy, leaving you with a massive bill and an IN10 conviction.
But for what? Obviously if you fit a bigger engine or a wide body kit etc. that completely changes the car then yes they most probably would, but for things like stickers, boot lip spoiler, different style diffuser, black grilles etc. I cannot see the insurance companies getting away with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #36
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Quote:
If you can track them down in China!
No chance lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #37
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dxdrive View Post
My 335d made 400 bhp on the dyno with just stage 1, do you think that is also un-realistic ??
There are 2 turbos in that engine and it always had more headroom than the 30d for that reason.

Id say 40-50hp is reasonable increase over stock. Any more than that then its questionable on the 30d. The 35d maybe 70-80hp

These rolling roads are always questionable though as they are easily manipulated. You would need a reference car to test against as a baseline and work from that.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #38
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
But for what? Obviously if you fit a bigger engine or a wide body kit etc. that completely changes the car then yes they most probably would, but for things like stickers, boot lip spoiler, different style diffuser, black grilles etc. I cannot see the insurance companies getting away with it.
True but as mentioned above it's possible it could result in a legal battle and its just not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #39
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong but a pedal box is not increasing the power of the car so why would they consider it a performance modification?! :
what is a pedal box?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #40
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
True but as mentioned above it's possible it could result in a legal battle and its just not worth it.
I say it’s just not worth paying hundreds of pounds per year extra for insurance unnecessarily.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #41
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Believe me, I’m not siding with the insurance companies but, by the same token, I can’t see why they wouldn’t get away with it. In fact they wouldn’t be getting with anything. They would simply be applying the terms of the contract that you agreed to.

The problem with saying, well I don’t see a problem not telling the insurance about grilles (and I’m with you in this) is where does it stop? Where is the line between that and a body kit? Simple, you have to declare all mods.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #42
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I say it’s just not worth paying hundreds of pounds per year extra for insurance unnecessarily.
I have found that unless its a significant performance mod then the effect on insurance is minimal. M perf interior and mp exhaust on my m140i cost me £7.50 with admiral.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #43
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
Quote:
I have found that unless its a significant performance mod then the effect on insurance is minimal. M perf interior and mp exhaust on my m140i cost me £7.50 with admiral.
I found that adding any mods meant that the majority of insurers didn't even provide a quote on the comparison sites anymore!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #44
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I found that adding any mods meant that the majority of insurers didn't even provide a quote on the comparison sites anymore!
We have gotten to the stage now where comparison sites constantly churn out the most expensive quotes, admiral, aviva etc are usually far more competitive.
Appreciate 0