F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 HID Xenon Bulb Replacement DIY
proTUNING Freaks

12-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #23
thatg20guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnjc View Post
what color temperature did you get?

I'm debating between 5000K and 6000K right now...
I was under the assumption that CBI's only came in ~5500k color temperature which is what I got. I'm looking at the PowerBulbs website and see that there are a pair of Philips WhiteVision 6000K that I kind of want to try out. I hate when I drive next to a car with LED headlights because it makes my supposedly "pure white" xenon bulbs look yellow
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #24
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatf30guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Ahh okay so it's 2 for HID (high beams) two for low.

Cool thank you. Need to do some more research.
It's actually just 2 bulbs period! HID stands for high-intensity-discharge which means that in each bulb tube there's an inert gas (in our case Xenon) that facilitates an electric arc being created between two tungsten electrodes. I believe there are some salts inside the tube that evaporate because of the electric arc and create plasma to increase light intensity and output. The way bi-xenon's work, there's a shutter in the projector housing that covers half of the projector. If you ever notice a slight clunking sound when you flash your high beams, that's the shutter opening up to allow the entire projector to shine the light through.

Also a correction, I dug back through my email order confirmations and realized I actually ordered mine through PowerBulbs: https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/store/...1r/fitting/d1s
Oh neat okay.

Any idea on the duration of these light bulbs? If they would last as long as OEM?

I'm looking between the OSRAM Nightbreaker Unlimited and Philips Xenon WhiteVision.

Not sure if I want my light to be blue, would prefer a whiter color like my M4 LEDs.

Edit: looked at the other thread. I think I will end up doing OSRAM Xenarc CBI's. I thought because it looked blue on the website it would look blue in person but apparently that is wrong.

Last edited by Arcades; 12-14-2016 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:06 PM   #25
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

When I wrote this DIY, I upgraded the OEM D1S bulbs to the Philips X-Treme Vision bulbs. These bulbs are whiter than OEM; 4800-5400K compared to 4300K. According to Philips, they state a 50% more light output. IMHO, it is not even close. I would say more 15-20% if that. The increase is so subtle that it's truly difficult to see a noticeable difference.
Again, I believe the weakness rest in the glass that BMW uses for it's projector lenses. There are aftermarket lenses you can retrofit in which will yield a much better cutoff and noticeably better light output. I just prefer not to rip my headlight housing apart.

For you guys considering the CBI bulbs, I ran those on my 2015 Audi and the color difference is noticeable. What was interesting, as the HID warmed up, you could actually see the color change. Light output was better as well.
Appreciate 2
x-m4n148.00
      12-15-2016, 02:24 AM   #26
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
When I wrote this DIY, I upgraded the OEM D1S bulbs to the Philips X-Treme Vision bulbs. These bulbs are whiter than OEM; 4800-5400K compared to 4300K. According to Philips, they state a 50% more light output. IMHO, it is not even close. I would say more 15-20% if that. The increase is so subtle that it's truly difficult to see a noticeable difference.
Again, I believe the weakness rest in the glass that BMW uses for it's projector lenses. There are aftermarket lenses you can retrofit in which will yield a much better cutoff and noticeably better light output. I just prefer not to rip my headlight housing apart.

For you guys considering the CBI bulbs, I ran those on my 2015 Audi and the color difference is noticeable. What was interesting, as the HID warmed up, you could actually see the color change. Light output was better as well.
Thanks for that

I am probably settled on getting the OSRAM Xenarc CBI's D1S. My 3er is going through a comprehensive coverage right now so I cannot do this right away but once, hopefully, everything settles I'll buy and find a place to put them on since I am not the DIY type with these things.

My only worry is the duration of them compared to the OEM bulbs but I haven't seen anyone really complain unless it is from Amazon which, a lot of you have noted are fakes.

Go figure, thought i learned enough from the F8x side, still learning from the F3x side :P
      12-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #27
thatg20guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Garage List
CBI's are the way to go! They do have a relatively long burn-in time of around 30-40 hours but they do become noticiable whiter. I would say the color temperature is a lot closer to the M4 LEDs - if you park behind a 3er with stock xenons, they actually look pretty yellow compard to the CBIs. I've been running mine for the past year and a half with no issues and I'm sure they'll last as long as OEMs since the stock xenon bulbs are also made by Osram

I've heard good things about Philips WhiteVision and they do look like they have near perfect replication of the LED color temperature. Found this video on YouTube of a guy comparing OEM and WhiteVision here:

And here's a good comparison of OEM and WhiteVision on a Mercedes ML350:
(skip to 1:17 for comparison)
Appreciate 2
Arcades8163.50
x-m4n148.00
      12-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #28
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatf30guy View Post
CBI's are the way to go! They do have a relatively long burn-in time of around 30-40 hours but they do become noticiable whiter. I would say the color temperature is a lot closer to the M4 LEDs - if you park behind a 3er with stock xenons, they actually look pretty yellow compard to the CBIs. I've been running mine for the past year and a half with no issues and I'm sure they'll last as long as OEMs since the stock xenon bulbs are also made by Osram

I've heard good things about Philips WhiteVision and they do look like they have near perfect replication of the LED color temperature. Found this video on YouTube of a guy comparing OEM and WhiteVision here:

And here's a good comparison of OEM and WhiteVision on a Mercedes ML350:
(skip to 1:17 for comparison)
Neat More to consider! Hehe.

PowerBulb is sold out of them currently though so that sucks.
      06-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #29
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 328 MSPORT

Garage List
Is there a specific way it insert the metal clip on driver side vs passenger side, (i.e in to left for driver or in to right for passengers? ) I have replaced the bulbs to an 8k and 12000k 2 different times and ND I was able to get the clip in , but this time around I am not able to ... I guess before was just luck, but now I'm frustrated. Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 12:54 AM   #30
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
This is a short DIY I put together for the replacement of the HID Xenon bulbs. I found a few DIYs for the halogen setup, but not one specifically for the Xenon's.

Here you go!

F30 D1S HID Bulb Replacement DIY

REMOVAL

1- Jack up the front wheel and remove it. (Although this step is optional, removing the wheel offers more space to work. Depending on your bulb preference, you want all the available space when dealing with $150+ bulbs.

2- With a flat head screw driver, place it into the top of the two plastic guide brackets and dislodge the splash guard. This will reveal the back of the headlight assembly.

3- Remove the round circle covering the HID bulb assembly. Be cautious as there are small “teeth” which act as resistance. More or less, you’ll end up snapping those teeth in half. You should now have full access to the HID bulb assembly.

4- The assemble is held in place by brackets. These brackets lock the bulbs and electrical connections in place. The way to unlock the bracket is to push the top of the bracket DOWN and to the LEFT. The following photo gives you an idea of how it’s held in and what you need to do to unlock it.

For reference, the bulbs were removed so that you could see the locking points.

UNLOCKED

5- Once the bracket is unlocked, disconnect the electrical plug from the bulb. Unless you have incredible finger strength, you’ll have to use a flathead screw driver to loosen the connection. It will then pull right off.

6- With the connection removed, you can now safely remove the bulb. I highly recommend using plastic/latex gloves when working with bulbs. You do not want any oily residual on the bulbs.

INSTALLATION

7- Installation is performed in reverse order. Insert the new HID bulb and plug the electrical connection on. Once it’s seated correctly, pull the bracket housing up and lock it back in place. Make sure it’s also securing the electrical connection.

8- Double check your work, button up all items removed, turn on the headlight to make sure the bulb works.
What happened to photos?

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 12:52 AM   #31
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

I switched photo services and forgot to update the links. Sorry about that. Links corrected.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #32
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supremeceas View Post
Has anyone dealt with these bulbs, claims to be better than philips and osram

http://www.hidconcept.com/products/d...pack-of-2.html
I've had discussions with HID-Concepts about the DAMA bulbs and about the only thing better with these bulbs, is the color. They are not as bright as Philips or the OSRAM bulbs.

The main problem with the F30 projector setup, is the choice of glass BMW used in their housing. If you're brave enough to retrofit a better set of glass projector lenses, you'll get noticeably better lighting output.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #33
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the DIY/writeup. Always nice to see what I'm getting into before I do a project, even one so simple as changing bulbs.

FYI instead of removing the wheels, I turned them full lock (left or right depending on which side I was doing) and used a floor jack to raise the car about 2-3" on whatever side I was working on. It gave me tons of room to work without the hassle of removing wheels.
2012 X5 35D - Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Options: Sport, Tech, Cold Weather, comfort seats, leather dash, high beam assist, lane-departure warning, soft-close doors, two-row, self-leveling suspension, hi-fi stereo
Tracks driven (in any car): Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), LeMans (ok, just the public part), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, COTA Austin
Appreciate 2
DeeKay553.00
x-m4n148.00
      01-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #34
Zkunze97
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 White & Black 328XI

Removing light from housing

How the hell do you release the bulb from the housing?! I feel like I’m gonna break something.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #35
PhuX99
Private
Rep
Drives: Red 2014 335i M sport

What do you guys think of the Osram CBH 6000k? Anyone tried them? I have the CBI installed currently but it’s not as white/led like. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #36
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkunze97 View Post
How the hell do you release the bulb from the housing?! I feel like I’m gonna break something.
Take a look at the photos in my thread as I've shown how the bulb clips are held in place.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #37
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuX99 View Post
What do you guys think of the Osram CBH 6000k? Anyone tried them? I have the CBI installed currently but it’s not as white/led like. Any suggestions?
Phu, if you go with the 6000K temperature bulb, it will provide you with more of a blue hue, but at the cost of light output. In my experience, 5000K temperature is probably the best combination of color and light output.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #38
PhuX99
Private
Rep

Quote:
Phu, if you go with the 6000K temperature bulb, it will provide you with more of a blue hue, but at the cost of light output. In my experience, 5000K temperature is probably the best combination of color and light output.

Thanks for the reply zcspec, I have 5500k morimoto and they look good. They are not as bright as the Osram CBI 5500k but the temperture difference in the light is like night and day. Which bulbs do you guys think are the best? Philips WhiteVision gen2 5000k?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #39
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuX99 View Post
Thanks for the reply zcspec, I have 5500k morimoto and they look good. They are not as bright as the Osram CBI 5500k but the temperture difference in the light is like night and day. Which bulbs do you guys think are the best? Philips WhiteVision gen2 5000k?
Morimoto is not joke. I've had experience using them in retrokits, bulbs, etc and they are indeed, a quality item.
For an upgrade, I went with OSRAM Night Breakers as the rep told me they would offer the best light output. When I first installed them, I was unimpressed. Coloring was definitely whiter, but my visual impression wasn't too positive.
Over the months of use, as indicated by OSRAM, the bulbs started to break in and became brighter and more white. Before the holidays, a buddy of mine with a Cayman parked next to me with his headlights on. He made a comment how much whiter and brighter my lights looked compared to his. Of course I had to let him know I had upgraded my bulbs.
It wasn't until I removed the bulbs and replaced them with the OEM units that I really appreciated them. The light and color output, was truly night and day.
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      01-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #40
PhuX99
Private
Rep

Morimoto is not joke. I've had experience using them in retrokits, bulbs, etc and they are indeed, a quality item.
For an upgrade, I went with OSRAM Night Breakers as the rep told me they would offer the best light output. When I first installed them, I was unimpressed. Coloring was definitely whiter, but my visual impression wasn't too positive.
Over the months of use, as indicated by OSRAM, the bulbs started to break in and became brighter and more white. Before the holidays, a buddy of mine with a Cayman parked next to me with his headlights on. He made a comment how much whiter and brighter my lights looked compared to his. Of course I had to let him know I had upgraded my bulbs.
It wasn't until I removed the bulbs and replaced them with the OEM units that I really appreciated them. The light and color output, was truly night and day.
Hope this helps![/QUOTE]
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #41
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '17 F82 M4 Competition

Quote:
3- Remove the round circle covering the HID bulb assembly. Be cautious as there are small “teeth” which act as resistance. More or less, you’ll end up snapping those teeth in half. You should now have full access to the HID bulb assembly.
Just done this today.

FYI this round cap simply twists about 30 degrees and releases easily. No breaking of anything required

6k CBI’s now installed
Appreciate 2
zcspec212.00
x-m4n148.00
      03-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #42
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
This is a short DIY I put together for the replacement of the HID Xenon bulbs. I found a few DIYs for the halogen setup, but not one specifically for the Xenon's.

Here you go!
Thanks for the DIY, it was a big help.
Appreciate 1
zcspec212.00
      03-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #43
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

FWIW, because of the way human eyes see colors with cones and rods (Google it) Human Eyes are much more sensitive to Green than Blue.

The higher the Kelvin, the more blue is in the light, which results in in less vision for humans.

So there is a point where the higher the kelvin color for lights, the less beneficial it is.

Also the reason yellow for fogs were used for decades (look where yellow is between green and red and opposite blue), though that has since been disproven when it comes to fog lights.

Note: Numbers below in blue are wavelength which are somewhat the inverse of Kelvin.
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 03-10-2018 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
x-m4n148.00
      03-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #44
n9740b
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30

Interesting info....thanks
Appreciate 0