F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Sport Performance Suspension - Labor hours
ARMA SPEED

09-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #551
DannyP
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2013 Glacier Silver F30 335i

Anyone with a m sport, how is the feeling when switch from confort to sport with m performance susp kit?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #552
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

**** Aggressive fitment of Tires/Wheels with MPS ****

Who is running the most aggressive wheel/tire fitments with the MPS? The conical springs do not yield much confidence in going too wide.

Anyone running 245/40 R18 (with 8.5" rims) in the front? At least 235/40R18?

What about the rears? Anyone running 265/35 R19 (with 9.5" rims)? Or perhaps 265/40 R18 (with 9.5" rims)?

Any rubbing?

Last edited by rallybull; 09-27-2013 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #553
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
It is a bit harsher but I felt the stock MSport suspension was too soft. I just do not feel that it is too harsh. I feel like it became stiffer more than it became harsh

I believe it is now a proper sports suspension but not an all out sports car. I recall a few others making similar remarks.

I haven't driven an EVO or STI. I can compare it to an S5, MINI S with JCW suspension upgrades and an M3. It's been a while since I have driven the S5 but I remember that my ass hurt afterward. I feel like the MPS ride is somewhere between the MINI S (with 17 RFTs) and M3 (with 19 RFTs), if that makes sense?

Though, I'm not sure how the back seat feels...you might want a cushion for the kiddie seat
I kind of went through a bit of a shock phase (pun not intended) when I had installed the MPS due to the stiffness. But I guess that is because I was moving over from the base suspension what people say is pretty soft. But I got over it in a week or so and have started enjoying the suspension a lot. In fact I've been driving the car like an @ 5 5 H 0 1 E ever since I got the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #554
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
Great to hear, thanks for the reviews...

so... your wife doesn't' mind... so are you saying the car just feels firmer, but not really a 'harsh' ride?

or does your wife prefer a stiffer (chuckle) ride (chuckle).? In all seriousness just wondering..im so 50/50 on this and trying to get as much input as possible.

if you're on RFTs and are okay with the comfort level its encouraging to me, as i'll be switching to 19s summer michelins most likely if i go this way.
Why don't you try to test drive an M3? If you can tolerate the M3 suspension you should be definitely good with the MPS...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #555
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull
Quote:
Great to hear, thanks for the reviews...

so... your wife doesn't' mind... so are you saying the car just feels firmer, but not really a 'harsh' ride?

or does your wife prefer a stiffer (chuckle) ride (chuckle).? In all seriousness just wondering..im so 50/50 on this and trying to get as much input as possible.

if you're on RFTs and are okay with the comfort level its encouraging to me, as i'll be switching to 19s summer michelins most likely if i go this way.
Why don't you try to test drive an M3? If you can tolerate the M3 suspension you should be definitely good with the MPS...
+1. This is what my wife and I did.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #556
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull
Quote:
It is a bit harsher but I felt the stock MSport suspension was too soft. I just do not feel that it is too harsh. I feel like it became stiffer more than it became harsh

I believe it is now a proper sports suspension but not an all out sports car. I recall a few others making similar remarks.

I haven't driven an EVO or STI. I can compare it to an S5, MINI S with JCW suspension upgrades and an M3. It's been a while since I have driven the S5 but I remember that my ass hurt afterward. I feel like the MPS ride is somewhere between the MINI S (with 17 RFTs) and M3 (with 19 RFTs), if that makes sense?

Though, I'm not sure how the back seat feels...you might want a cushion for the kiddie seat
I kind of went through a bit of a shock phase (pun not intended) when I had installed the MPS due to the stiffness. But I guess that is because I was moving over from the base suspension what people say is pretty soft. But I got over it in a week or so and have started enjoying the suspension a lot. In fact I've been driving the car like an @ 5 5 H 0 1 E ever since I got the suspension.
I have the MSport and it's night and day. I can't even imagine what the change was for you. But damn, I've been taking corners like...I don't even know but this sh*t is fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #557
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30

I knew you'd like it!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #558
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesems
I knew you'd like it!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #559
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
better comfort too??
I think so...the 18's were pretty cozy being higher profile...the rubber is softer on the michelins...i thinks its a wash
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #560
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Think I'm going to be the only guy with stock 17" RFTs and 50 profile tires and this suspension setup

What are some 19" wheels and tires that would go well with this suspension?

Still waiting for my car to come back with th upgrade.. Should be done Monday I guess.
      09-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #561
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335
Quote:
No problem. My actually loved the ride thus far. However, we just picked up a MINI S with a few upgraded JCW suspension parts so she is used to the stiffer (chuckle) ride (double chuckle).

I am on 19 staggered RFTs and I love the ride. It's stiffer and more connected for sure, but not harsh IMO. Then again, I live in Irvine (also drive a lot in Newport) so the roads are excellent.

I will be driving around all weekend. I'll let you know what my wife and I think after logging in decent mileage.

I definitely recommend this upgrade.
Great, can't wait to hear more..this is super encouraging...

how would you comment on other comments made about it..like "Wow..ride a lot harsher than stock" or "rides like an EVO or STI"... to me those made it sound almost too sporty but your review seems more like its tuned like a proper 'sport suspension' on a sports sedan but not all out sports car.

Thanks!

So a tick less stiffer than an M3, right? Glad you're loving it!

FYI, I stated that it wasn't as stiff as an Evo or STI.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #562
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Think I'm going to be the only guy with stock 17" RFTs and 50 profile tires and this suspension setup

Still waiting for my car to come back with th upgrade.. Should be done Monday I guess.
there are a lot...really depends on the look your after. I'm partial to Morrs and HRE and BBS
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #563
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335
Quote:
No problem. My actually loved the ride thus far. However, we just picked up a MINI S with a few upgraded JCW suspension parts so she is used to the stiffer (chuckle) ride (double chuckle).

I am on 19 staggered RFTs and I love the ride. It's stiffer and more connected for sure, but not harsh IMO. Then again, I live in Irvine (also drive a lot in Newport) so the roads are excellent.

I will be driving around all weekend. I'll let you know what my wife and I think after logging in decent mileage.

I definitely recommend this upgrade.

how would you comment on other comments made about it..like "Wow..ride a lot harsher than stock" or "rides like an EVO or STI"... to me those made it sound almost too sporty but your review seems more like its tuned like a proper 'sport suspension' on a sports sedan but not all out sports car.

Thanks!

So a tick less stiffer than an M3, right? Glad you're loving it!

FYI, I stated that it wasn't as stiff as an Evo or STI.
Indeed, a tick under the M3! Thank you again for your guidance on it. Next up...PPK!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #564
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

there are a lot...really depends on the look your after. I'm partial to Morrs and HRE and BBS
Thanks. I do have quite a bit of time, since I spent my $$ on m perf suspension already .

How good (in terms of grip) are the run flats from Michelin vs the stock run flats? My wife will kill me if I put a spare tire in the boot!
      09-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #565
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I do have quite a bit of time, since I spent my $$ on m perf suspension already .

How good (in terms of grip) are the run flats from Michelin vs the stock run flats? My wife will kill me if I put a spare tire in the boot!
Well I run a staggered set up and i think the grip is really good on the Michelins. I dont worry too much about a flat tire. Thats what AAA or roadside is for. I think you'd be fine without a spare up in San Jose. The performance gains on the tires and wheels is there but i mostly did it for the aesthetic. From what i know, 18's would probably serve you better for Autocross and track and are gonna save gas as daily. But there is added grip, slightly more comfy vs. RF's and the look. Have you seen my setup?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #566
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesems View Post
Well I run a staggered set up and i think the grip is really good on the Michelins. I dont worry too much about a flat tire. Thats what AAA or roadside is for. I think you'd be fine without a spare up in San Jose. The performance gains on the tires and wheels is there but i mostly did it for the aesthetic. From what i know, 18's would probably serve you better for Autocross and track and are gonna save gas as daily. But there is added grip, slightly more comfy vs. RF's and the look. Have you seen my setup?
Just saw it on the back from ashes thread. Your car looks gorgeous! I might end up mimicking yours . Only thing is, I don't like the wheels jutting out from the body..

Actually I'm looking more for grip than aesthetics. My checklist is
- get rid of annoying body roll (took the plunge on m perf, should be done next week)
- get grip on tires (thinking about this right now)
- get a nice steering wheel (looking at bimmians...)

I wonder if just changing tires on 17" will give the grip to match the suspension? Caveat is, even the Michelin pss are square in this size.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #567
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Just saw it on the back from ashes thread. Your car looks gorgeous! I might end up mimicking yours . Only thing is, I don't like the wheels jutting out from the body..

- get rid of annoying body roll (took the plunge on m perf, should be done next week)

I wonder if just changing tires on 17" will give the grip to match the suspension? Caveat is, even the Michelin pss are square in this size.
the 18 400M staggered are literally all you need to kick up the grip...cheap OEM option.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #568
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Im selling my 18" take-offs with runflats no TPMS (<2000 miles) if that interests you. I think you'd need a bit more rubber on the ground for grip than the 17's will offer but i could be completely off the mark here. I'm also pulling my m sport steering wheel (paddle shifters) gonna go with a m performance wheel. Thanks for the compliment btw.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #569
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
the 18 400M staggered are literally all you need to kick up the grip...cheap OEM option.
Agreed..the 18's did run nice on the MPS..I'm just couldn't shake the Morr's.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #570
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Im selling my 18" take-offs with runflats no TPMS (&lt;2000 miles) if that interests you. I think you'd need a bit more rubber on the ground for grip than the 17's will offer but i could be completely off the mark here. I'm also pulling my m sport steering wheel (paddle shifters) gonna go with a m performance wheel. Thanks for the compliment btw.
Thanks for the offer! I think it'll be some more time before the next upgrade on the car. I just want to do the analysis now so that when I come by $$, I'll know what to get

Thanks shivaswrath. After you mentioned 400m I googled it, and it got me thinking about 403m from the used market
      09-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #571
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
Okay, so I had considerable time with the car this weekend. We drove about 100 miles over a combination of expressway, smooth and bumpy roads. Definitely, not too harsh. My wife never said a thing about it other than she's happy that it doesn't roll anymore.

She also asked to drive it and loved it (only a 5 mile drive). She said it felt smoother than her MINI S with JCW Strut Braces. I thought it was a little stiffer than the MINI S but I have not driven them back-to-back yet.

Signs are pointing to you ordering it...NOW!

Edit: I drove to LA this morning - 45 miles on highway. Zero complaints and the road gets pretty rough on the 110.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #572
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

My car is back from the dealer after the install

The body roll is just gone.

Traffic was pretty much stop and go on the way home, so couldn't gather more impressions. I plan to take the car out later tonight and see how it is on turns etc.

Looks-wise: Even with 17"s, the car looks proportionate now. It certainly doesn't have a "lowered" look, but there is a big difference even at first glance. Pics don't do justice to the difference, but I will share a few I clicked when I got the car and a few quick pics clicked now.

I know the pics don't show the difference clearly because the angles are different. But one simple test from my side is, I used to be able to stick my fist in the gap before. Now the gap is about half-fist size.

I am happy

Thanks everyone on this thread for the guidance.

"Before" pics:
Name:  IMG_1204.JPG
Views: 682
Size:  377.5 KB
Name:  IMG_1205.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  387.7 KB

"After" pics:
Name:  IMG_1272.JPG
Views: 700
Size:  308.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1273.jpg