F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > iND F30 Painted key hole cover DIY
proTUNING Freaks

05-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFB02 View Post
or just a call to bmw, they will unlock it for u
Sort of hard for BMW to send command to unlock the door it if the battery is dead, which is the original premise above.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #24
DangerousTacos
SA at Leith BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Good to know that the e9x cover is the same... Have one from my e92 and haven't been able to sell it. Guess I'll just get it repainted and use it!
Service Advisor @ Leith BMW | Raleigh, NC
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #25
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Just put mine on today... perfect paint match.

Only issue was that my door handle came out of the bracket... gettting it back in was a pain (iused a looped ziptie to pull it back open). here's a pic:
      08-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #26
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Is there a particular way the lock cylinder has to be reinserted? I put the cylinder and the keyhole cover back in and it just wouldn't sit flush. When I just replaced with the keyhole cover and the plastic backing it fit perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #27
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

Will this work on a F32??
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #28
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Would of thought so.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #29
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Looking for paint code 448...you have these available for special order?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #30
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp82 View Post
Will this work on a F32??
The key hole covers will work on the F32. We are adding them to the site today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post
Looking for paint code 448...you have these available for special order?
We can offer any BMW paint code. Feel free to shoot me a pm.
      01-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #31
mcalc55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi BSM M Sport

Now this was just my experience and 100% user error but when I dismantled my handle I made the cardinal sin of pulling the core too far away from the handle and unaligned all of the components. Needless to say this was a disaster and not something that could be fixed without taking the whole door frame apart. The first dealer I brought it to assumed the key carrier was cracked and wanted to wait for a replacement part, a second just reassembled the door.

Again, 100% user error but I just wanted to share my experience with people, looks like lots have successfully installed this mod, but I got much more of a headache than it was worth, on top of having to drive around with no working drivers door handle for a week...

Black Sapphire Metallic, M Sport, Technology, Lighting Package, DHP, Harmon Kardon, Sport Auto, Heated Front Seats
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #32
nano10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

I really wanna to this mod for a unique look on my car, is there a way to have another door be accessible by key like the passenger side?
      04-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #33
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 435i

Doors on the F32 are different than the F30. The placement of the bolt which is removed in the first few pics of the DIY is nothing like my car. Seems like you have to remove a lot of the trim and rubber stripping just to get behind the handle.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #34
Mojave Spirit
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalc55 View Post
Now this was just my experience and 100% user error but when I dismantled my handle I made the cardinal sin of pulling the core too far away from the handle and unaligned all of the components. Needless to say this was a disaster and not something that could be fixed without taking the whole door frame apart. The first dealer I brought it to assumed the key carrier was cracked and wanted to wait for a replacement part, a second just reassembled the door.

Again, 100% user error but I just wanted to share my experience with people, looks like lots have successfully installed this mod, but I got much more of a headache than it was worth, on top of having to drive around with no working drivers door handle for a week...
Bumping for some advice for people doing this in the future..I pulled the door handle and it unseated like mcalc above which caused my heart to drop. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT PULL THE HANDLE. If you pull the handle the part that catches the door opening mechanism slips out of the holder area and you no longer can open the door using the handle. If you are unlucky enough to do this, what I did to fix it was loop a string/twine around the bracket the handle end sit in and pull it towards you (away from the car). While pulling back try to get the end of the handle reseated in the metal bracket. It took longer to come up with the idea of string/twine than to successfully reseat the handle. Be careful an don't be like me. I hope this prevents anyone from having to go to the dealership. (Sorry to bump an old thread)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #35
mcalc55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi BSM M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Spirit
Quote:

Bumping for some advice for people doing this in the future..I pulled the door handle and it unseated like mcalc above which caused my heart to drop. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT PULL THE HANDLE. If you pull the handle the part that catches the door opening mechanism slips out of the holder area and you no longer can open the door using the handle. If you are unlucky enough to do this, what I did to fix it was loop a string/twine around the bracket the handle end sit in and pull it towards you (away from the car). While pulling back try to get the end of the handle reseated in the metal bracket. It took longer to come up with the idea of string/twine than to successfully reseat the handle. Be careful an don't be like me. I hope this prevents anyone from having to go to the dealership. (Sorry to bump an old thread)
I honestly don't even know what to say. I suppose it's totally user error since some people are able to install this no problem but it should come with some serious warnings. I told the dealer it came off from the cold weather in December. If it was July I don't think I would have had the same luck.

Really just get some touch up paint and paint the keyhole. So not worth it IMO. it's easy to mess up unless you understand how the latch works BEFORE hand. Otherwise you're just kinda holding it confused so you experiment and then boom. You move it half an inch and it all disconnects. Very Little margin for error.

Props to those who got it right the first time!!

Black Sapphire Metallic, M Sport, Technology, Lighting Package, DHP, Harmon Kardon, Sport Auto, Heated Front Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #36
Mojave Spirit
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I honestly don't even know what to say. I suppose it's totally user error since some people are able to install this no problem but it should come with some serious warnings. I told the dealer it came off from the cold weather in December. If it was July I don't think I would have had the same luck.

Really just get some touch up paint and paint the keyhole. So not worth it IMO. it's easy to mess up unless you understand how the latch works BEFORE hand. Otherwise you're just kinda holding it confused so you experiment and then boom. You move it half an inch and it all disconnects. Very Little margin for error.

Props to those who got it right the first time!!
Yeah as soon as I pulled it I knew. I tried a pick and hook set to no avail before trying the string. If that didn't work I don't know what I would have done.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #37
raita
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

The keyhole cover fits fine on an F32. I just installed it on mine yesterday. The hole is found by pulling back the rubber flap on the inside of the door near the top parallel to the handle. Once you pull it back a bit, the hole is right there. There's no grommets or gaskets involved. Entire install took less than five minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #38
Makky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F34 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Spirit View Post
If you look at picture 8 and 9, it looks like you have to pull the handle a little bit when re-inserting the cover.
Is that correct?
So the clue is to not pull it to far?

I am considering this retrofit, the car gets a much more cleaner look.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #39
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makky View Post
If you look at picture 8 and 9, it looks like you have to pull the handle a little bit when re-inserting the cover.
Is that correct?
So the clue is to not pull it to far?

I am considering this retrofit, the car gets a much more cleaner look.
Just installed mine...NO need to pull on handle either removing OR re-installing. May need to 'jiggle' key cylinder a bit to remove as it's tight. New cover is a EXACT fit, took me a few minutes getting both black clips to lock onto key cylinder. EXACT color match and looks incredible!

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #40
s2k750
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I painted mine black with nail polish.. Not as sweet looking, but similar and I can unlock with the key if need be.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #41
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k750 View Post
I painted mine black with nail polish.. Not as sweet looking, but similar and I can unlock with the key if need be.
Picture?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 03:09 AM   #42
sjacie040
Rep
Drives: X3 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Just installed mine...NO need to pull on handle either removing OR re-installing. May need to 'jiggle' key cylinder a bit to remove as it's tight. New cover is a EXACT fit, took me a few minutes getting both black clips to lock onto key cylinder. EXACT color match and looks incredible!
Confirmed, absolutely no need to pull the handle to remove or place the lock. As it is a tight fit, some jiggle is required and correct placement (fully snap of the clips onto the cylinder) of the new cover is a must!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 03:20 AM   #43
kemiksiz
Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW

From where do we buy?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 04:28 AM   #44
sjacie040
Rep
Drives: X3 2019

I checked the partnumber at realoem.com and ordered the part at a partsupplier with mentioning of colourcode. I think you can get this at a dealer as well.
Appreciate 0