F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Automatic wipers
proTUNING Freaks

05-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Automatic wipers

I have yet to drive my new 335i in the rain since I got it just over a week ago. This is mainly because it hasn't really rained much during evenings and weekends lately here, but I thought that I'd be prepared for that eventuality by pushing the button on the end of the wiper stalk so that the A lights up.

However, when I start the car up again later, the A is no longer lit and I have to press it again to enable it. Is this normal? The manual didn't mention this behaviour at all.

I would think that if this is the switch that enables the rain-sensing functionality then it would be strange to have to turn it on whenever it rains. Am I misinterpreting this?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

yes, just like auto stop/start, just like sport mode. it all resets.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
yes, just like auto stop/start, just like sport mode. it all resets.
Well now that just seems odd to me.

I feel that this falls into the same category as automatic headlights. You enable the setting because you want the car to take care of the situation for you without your having to think about it. Having to push a button when it rains to enable rain sensing wipers is just a silly use case.

Does everyone else's F30 behave like this?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Isn't the point of auto wipers to adjust speed as needed? I would hate it if it worked like auto headlights.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Isn't the point of auto wipers to adjust speed as needed? I would hate it if it worked like auto headlights.
If that is the intended function, then I've misinterpreted it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
However, when I start the car up again later, the A is no longer lit and I have to press it again to enable it. Is this normal? The manual didn't mention this behaviour at all.

I would think that if this is the switch that enables the rain-sensing functionality then it would be strange to have to turn it on whenever it rains. Am I misinterpreting this?
Same deal on the rain sensors for my E90. Resets after off, then manually activate the rain sensor wiper when it starts drizzling.

Be aware that the rain sensor system is not really suited to constant, heavy rain. You should use the continuous wiping option.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
I have yet to drive my new 335i in the rain since I got it just over a week ago. This is mainly because it hasn't really rained much during evenings and weekends lately here, but I thought that I'd be prepared for that eventuality by pushing the button on the end of the wiper stalk so that the A lights up.

If you think about it, that makes sense. Otherwise the wipers would come on as you drive through a car wash possibly leading to damage.
      05-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
If you think about it, that makes sense. Otherwise the wipers would come on as you drive through a car wash possibly leading to damage.
Well yes, although the manual does specifically warn about this scenario and advises to turn it off prior to entering a car wash.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
What to think if a bird made a mistake and accidentally pooped on the sensor... you don't want that to be wiped away without the necessary amount of water

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

What if the wipers are stuck to the screen because of ice and cold? There are a number of reasons why BMW want you to turn them on manually so they don't get damaged. Your car works as intended.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
What if the wipers are stuck to the screen because of ice and cold? There are a number of reasons why BMW want you to turn them on manually so they don't get damaged. Your car works as intended.
+1

Working as intended, icing being a key reason for a manual start.

Been this way for years, my E39 (with stalk control) still needed activation each time I wanted auto wiper function. You could leave the stalk in auto function position, but needed to use the sensitivity switch to activate the wipers, if you did so.

My current E91 has worked fine with the switch function, just a shame the LED light is obscured by the steering wheel, that's the only small niggle.

Is the F30 LED position any clearer? (Was a fine day when I tested a 328i).

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #12
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

This has been discussed on the 5 forum and, as Highland Pete rightly says, it's there for a very good reason - to preclude automatic operation in the event of icing.
My partner's Focus auto-wipe remains active if you forget to disable it, which can result in over-stressing the motor and damaging the blades when they're frozen to the screen.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Having just driven 50 miles in pouring rain I found the auto wipers occasionally a little 'out of touch' with the prevailing conditions! They were generally a little less 'aggressive' than I would like, leaving a lot of rain on the screen before clearing. But then randomly at one point they jumped into super fast mode for about 10 seconds before relaxing back into normal speed! I hit the override a couple of times but mostly they were fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin
Having just driven 50 miles in pouring rain I found the auto wipers occasionally a little 'out of touch' with the prevailing conditions! They were generally a little less 'aggressive' than I would like, leaving a lot of rain on the screen before clearing. But then randomly at one point they jumped into super fast mode for about 10 seconds before relaxing back into normal speed! I hit the override a couple of times but mostly they were fine.
I find this occasionally happens on my E90 but only really when the windscreen has been waxed. Y'know when you take it to a hand car wash and they just spray crap all over the car or if you use "Wash and Wax" stuff and it puts like a film of wax over the windscreen? That goes over your sensor too and we all know how water behaves on wax - it bubbles and is reluctant to move! Thus giving the auto wipers false information and leaving you blind in heavy rain and frustrated when there isn't!
The amount of times my car is severely iced up, I'm glad they default to "OFF" and do so on the F30.

As for the green LED to be blocked by the wheel on the E90, I quite like that otherwise it would be irritating on a rainy night. Hope the F30 is the same - I failed to notice on the dozens I've been in - but wouldn't be too upset if it isn't!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

It probably works best with small drops of water, like drizzle. When it is pouring down the small area that senses the amount of rain is too uneven covered with water.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
It probably works best with small drops of water, like drizzle. When it is pouring down the small area that senses the amount of rain is too uneven covered with water.
I'm in the West Highlands of Scotland, so we have every kind of rain imaginable, and continuously variable as I drive. Auto sensing is a very good product, there is one kind of drizzle that is worse than anything else, that needs the sensitivity turned up a bit.

Heavy rain is no issue, in my experience, with several different cars with auto sensing wipers. Wipers just go into continous mode (automatically) and go to high speed, when the rain really tips down. So a switch on and forget function, 95% of the time.

The comments on a clean screen, this is the key to best performance. I use a high concentration of washer fluid all year, and also give extra attention to the sensor area when cleaning the car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
I'm in the West Highlands of Scotland, so we have every kind of rain imaginable, and continuously variable as I drive. Auto sensing is a very good product, there is one kind of drizzle that is worse than anything else, that needs the sensitivity turned up a bit.

Heavy rain is no issue, in my experience, with several different cars with auto sensing wipers. Wipers just go into continous mode (automatically) and go to high speed, when the rain really tips down. So a switch on and forget function, 95% of the time.

The comments on a clean screen, this is the key to best performance. I use a high concentration of washer fluid all year, and also give extra attention to the sensor area when cleaning the car.

HighlandPete
What he said. I make sure the sensor on my E90 is clean and film free on each wash. Windowlene is my friend

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I hope there is a way to code this to remain auto on as the default. I rather have the option to turn off auto when needed than to turn auto on daily its like manual wipers with auto variable speed setting.

I remember when I was in high school my dad had a camry with auto wipers and those were on all the time with the option of disabling at the stalk if needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
a4budak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I thought enabling that feature once and leaving it on all time was very convenient in our Q7 until my girl friend took it to car wash and destroyed both wipers and put a huge scratch on the windshield.

2012 Acura MDX w/ Technology & Entertainment Pkg.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Hi, I've noticed this issue too. What helps is to set the sensitivity on auto wipers to lowest setting, then activate.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4budak View Post
I thought enabling that feature once and leaving it on all time was very convenient in our Q7 until my girl friend took it to car wash and destroyed both wipers and put a huge scratch on the windshield.
Yes, many situations can lead to damage if the system stayed on.
      05-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Remember the rain sensor only looks at the small area ahead of the senor by the rear view mirror.

So there can be situations where there is more or less rain on the windscreen in front of the driver than at the sensor.

The "super fast mode" even when the driver doesnt see much rain on the windscreen is often caused by water flowing off the roof onto the sensor and the driver not noticing it because teh wipers get it before it comes into sight, or on Automatic transmissions the system can determine the car is suddenly going downhill and the system anticipates water flowing off the roof.