F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Thoughts on Powder Coating Wheels?
proTUNING Freaks

02-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

Thoughts on Powder Coating Wheels?

Hi all,

I was thinking of possibly having my Sport Line wheels powder coated to switch things up a bit. I like how it's temporary since my car is a lease and I'm not interested in changing out the rims because I really like my current ones and I don't want to do anything that would potentially void my warranty.

I've never done powder coating before so I would appreciate any comments, tips, suggestions on the process. How easy is it to remove? Will it harm the rim underneath? etc.

Thanks,

Ryan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Cfichman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3P

Garage List
plastidip
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Cfichman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3P

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan9095 View Post
Hi all,

I was thinking of possibly having my Sport Line wheels powder coated to switch things up a bit. I like how it's temporary since my car is a lease and I'm not interested in changing out the rims because I really like my current ones and I don't want to do anything that would potentially void my warranty.

I've never done powder coating before so I would appreciate any comments, tips, suggestions on the process. How easy is it to remove? Will it harm the rim underneath? etc.

Thanks,

Ryan
Powdercoating is like paint.....its not coming off. As seen above, I think you mean Plastidip.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

If you are going to plasti-dip, do yourself a favor and take the wheel off.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep

EDIT: Thoughts on PLASTI-DIP for Wheels

Hi all,

I appreciate the corrections. I meant plasti-dip NOT powder coating!

"I was thinking of possibly having my Sport Line wheels plasti-dipped to switch things up a bit. I like how it's temporary since my car is a lease and I'm not interested in changing out the rims because I really like my current ones and I don't want to do anything that would potentially void my warranty.

I've never used plasti-dip before so I would appreciate any comments, tips, suggestions on the process. How easy is it to remove? Will it harm the rim underneath? etc."

Thanks,

Ryan
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

The durability of plasti-dip as a wheel finish is still being debated. Many believe it will begin to peel off or chip due to heat and road debris while others say it's fine. Luckily, it's cheap enough where it may not hurt to give it a shot!

Plasti-dip will not void your warranty in any way, and you can always return the wheel 100% back to it's original state.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 1
VMRWheels2037.00
      03-27-2013, 02:50 AM   #8
redeu3
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Quote:
Hi all,

I appreciate the corrections. I meant plasti-dip NOT powder coating!

"I was thinking of possibly having my Sport Line wheels plasti-dipped to switch things up a bit. I like how it's temporary since my car is a lease and I'm not interested in changing out the rims because I really like my current ones and I don't want to do anything that would potentially void my warranty.

I've never used plasti-dip before so I would appreciate any comments, tips, suggestions on the process. How easy is it to remove? Will it harm the rim underneath? etc."

Thanks,

Ryan

Have you done it? post some pics here. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
1GrayBulldog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeu3 View Post
Have you done it? post some pics here. :-)
I plasti-dipped the stock 400M's on my 328i M Sport and have been completely satisfied with the results. The finished product looks exactly like what you'd expect from having the rims powder coated matte black, but for a fraction of the cost as well as the ability to reverse later.

Go check out the tutorials on the dipyourcar website and you'll have pretty much all the info you need to DIY. Some personal tips I can offer are: like others have said, be sure to pass on the lazy methods of spraying the wheels while still mounted and just take the wheels off the car to plasti-dip them. Its the only way you can get the full coverage needed to ensure an even finish across the rim.

I recommend applying a total of 1 can per rim, which will ensure the plasti-dip coating is thick enough to resist normal wear and tear. A thick coating also makes it easier to peel the plasti-dip off if/when you want to do that. Clean the wheels meticulously and once they dry, I recommend wiping the rim surfaces down with rubbing alcohol as it helps the plasti-dip bond to the glossy finish of our stock rims. From there its just a matter of simple spray-painting techniques to apply the plasti-dip. First coat should be ultra-light, and the following coats should be light enough to ensure no running or bubbling. Depending on the conditions I've found a good 20-30 mins of drying time is needed between coats, and once finished you should allow as much as 12 hours for the plasti-dip to cure before re-mounting the rims. Be careful with your breaker bar and torque wrench when putting the wheels back on; you don't want to rub against the rim and tear the plasti-dip surface.

Hope that helps and be sure to post some pics of the finished result!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep

I want to do plasti dip but haven't been able to find a shop who is willing to do it. They either don't do it anymore or don't know what it is! I don't trust myself enough to "DIY".

Your car looks great Stormtroop!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
1GrayBulldog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
I want to do plasti dip but haven't been able to find a shop who is willing to do it. They either don't do it anymore or don't know what it is! I don't trust myself enough to "DIY".

Your car looks great Stormtroop!
Thanks man! And hey, when you don't feel like you can do it yourself definitely get someone else to do it for you. My suggestion would be to post on your local craigslist; I have no doubt you'll get a number of people who'll be willing to do the job.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper328i View Post
Thanks man! And hey, when you don't feel like you can do it yourself definitely get someone else to do it for you. My suggestion would be to post on your local craigslist; I have no doubt you'll get a number of people who'll be willing to do the job.
That's a great suggestion I definitely will do that! Thanks! I contacted dipyourcar and some of their authorized sellers and shockingly either they don't respond or no longer dip. Hopefully I will have luck this way!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #13
Slickz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4

DO IT!! I have BMW style 415 turbine wheels with powdercoat black, love em !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #14
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Although you say in your follow-up that you're interested in plasti-dip, I will say that I had my sport line 18" rims powdercoated matte black (on a Melbourne 328iX). Guy did an excellent job, rims came out perfect and look great, and he even sanded/painted my rusty hubs for free.

From what I understand, power coating rims does not void their warranty. You may want to check regarding the lease rules. Powder coating is the way to go if you can - I can wash my rims with any chemicals I want and there is no peeling or inconsistencies in the finish.

Good luck!

-tgm
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 03:29 AM   #15
Dezy152
Rep
Drives: black BMW

I'm new to this issue and you helped me.
Appreciate 0