F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Dent after replacing front rondel
GetBMWParts

12-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Neon_1980
Rep
Drives: 435i Coupe

Hey guys,

So I had the dealer replace the front rondel due to some big chips in it. In doing so, it looks like they dented the edge of the surrounding circle. Looks like when they pried the old one off, they put torque on the outside and indented it.

I just dropped it back off to them. Thoughts on what they can do? He said heat to get it out may not work due to the curve.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Oh man that sucks but since the dealer did it I am sure they will take care of you. That being said, I have had great success with PDR. I had a dent right on the crease of the front quarter panel and my PDR worked his magic. I cannot even see where the dent was.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
Neon_1980
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe
Oh man that sucks but since the dealer did it I am sure they will take care of you. That being said, I have had great success with PDR. I had a dent right on the crease of the front quarter panel and my PDR worked his magic. I cannot even see where the dent was.
Thanks. Dealer just called, said the tech said it was there when he replaced the rondel. But then followed by saying they are going to strip the clear bra, repair, repaint front bumper, and reapply new bra. Hmm. Quite a bit if the indent was already there. But I'm not complaining :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
Neon_1980
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_1980
Quote:
Thanks. Dealer just called, said the tech said it was there when he replaced the rondel. But then followed by saying they are going to strip the clear bra, repair, repaint front bumper, and reapply new bra. Hmm. Quite a bit if the indent was already there. But I'm not complaining :-)
Do I need to worry about paint matching (front bumper that will be repainted with the body) especially on a 2014 alpine white. I've heard white yellows over time. Or am I just being neurotic now?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do I need to worry about paint matching (front bumper that will be repainted with the body) especially on a 2014 alpine white. I've heard white yellows over time. Or am I just being neurotic now?
No you don't. There are likely over 20 shades of the same paint color.

Color matching of wear is why auto painting is done by trained professional technicians. Since a quality shop is doing it, you won't notice a difference.

However, I will say that you not rush them. For instance, paint is affected by the outside weather and temp, so you don't want it done on a rainy day or below freezing. They can control for such conditions, but just tell them to take their time of conditions aren't optimal to complete the job. 2-3 days is normal for paint and curing.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
Neon_1980
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No you don't. There are likely over 20 shades of the same paint color.

Color matching of wear is why auto painting is done by trained professional technicians. Since a quality shop is doing it, you won't notice a difference.

However, I will say that you not rush them. For instance, paint is affected by the outside weather and temp, so you don't want it done on a rainy day or below freezing. They can control for such conditions, but just tell them to take their time of conditions aren't optimal to complete the job. 2-3 days is normal for paint and curing.
Awesome, thanks. Yeah, I'll drop off Monday, he said likely by Friday afternoon it'll be done.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_1980 View Post
It would be nice for them to just take responsibility, apologize and fix the damage. Instead, they deny it and treat you like they are doing you a favor.

B.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
Neon_1980
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller
Quote:
It would be nice for them to just take responsibility, apologize and fix the damage. Instead, they deny it and treat you like they are doing you a favor.

B.
I know right. I think they didn't have a foot to stand on since he didn't document it was there in intake (cuz it wasn't). Probably some tech who didn't want to get fired.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
Neon_1980
Rep

So they called today and said its ready. They started on it yesterday. I asked him how it was so quick and he said they hired some extra staff because of all the demand. I asked about the paint curing and all, he said its ready to go. Going to pick up this afternoon. We'll see. I hope they let it dry enough before reapplying the clear bra. Wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
So they called today and said its ready. They started on it yesterday. I asked him how it was so quick and he said they hired some extra staff because of all the demand. I asked about the paint curing and all, he said its ready to go. Going to pick up this afternoon. We'll see. I hope they let it dry enough before reapplying the clear bra. Wish me luck!
My paint shop (recommended by BMW) says not to apply any sort of coating or wax to freshly painted parts. He said something about outgassing? I am not paint expert but I took his advice and waited 30 days before applying a sealant. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me about paint can chime in.

BTW, glad they took care of you.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #11
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
That is a very quick turn around to then have reapplied your coating. In fact, he did say the demand was high.

Inspect your car very thoroughly. Take pictures close up with and without flash. These can be used later if needed.

That should have taken at least 2 days bake or not.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0