F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Connected Drive Renewal
Extreme Powerhouse

03-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive

Connected Drive Renewal

Anyone know how to renew your Connected Drive subscription. Is there a way to do it online or do I have to go through my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

What feature is worth paying? I don't get much use out of the connected drive stuff.

It can be done online through your BMW account.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katin View Post
What feature is worth paying? I don't get much use out of the connected drive stuff.

It can be done online through your BMW account.
There are a few things that are nice to have. A total rip off for the price but that's BMW.

Not here in Canada as far as I can tell. I looked on "My BMW" and can't see anything about renewing. The letter from BMW says to visit or call your dealer so I guess it has to be done there.

If any Canadian owners have gone through this, let me know.

Last edited by Sailormannn; 03-28-2017 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormannn View Post
Not here in Canada as far as I can tell. I looked on "My BMW" and can't see anything about renewing. The letter from BMW says to visit or call your dealer so I presume i guess it has to be done there.

If any Canadian owners have gone through this, let me know.
What year is your car? Isn't it now included for 4 years. Hence the $500 upfront charge?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
There is a separate Connected Drive website, but apparently it is not in Canada

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...stomer_portal/

Weird...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
What year is your car? Isn't it now included for 4 years. Hence the $500 upfront charge?
It's a 2014. I think you get 3 years from the date of activation.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 440GC

Right now it has to be done at a retailer. However, BMW Canada is working on an online tool that should be out by mid year.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #8
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian33 View Post
Right now it has to be done at a retailer. However, BMW Canada is working on an online tool that should be out by mid year.
Insider? Please tell me more!! What about the new connected drive app? Right now, Canadian owners cannot create ConnectedDrive account or reset password. Are they working on this now??? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #9
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Canada is a legacy market for ConnectedDrive. This means we had to develop a lot of our own systems and back end. Unfortunately, these back end systems are not compatible with the new BMW Connected App. We should be able to launch the new Connected App in Canada as of mid 2018. However, there will be a new online store for customers to renew and manage their account that will launch in the next couple of months.
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Canada is a legacy market for ConnectedDrive. This means we had to develop a lot of our own systems and back end. Unfortunately, these back end systems are not compatible with the new BMW Connected App. We should be able to launch the new Connected App in Canada as of mid 2018. However, there will be a new online store for customers to renew and manage their account that will launch in the next couple of months.
Thanks for that intel!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #11
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Any idea when the website will be available? August? September?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #12
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Targeting a July 1st release. The tool will allow customers to renew ConnectedDrive, manage their account details and perform password resets.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #13
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Targeting a July 1st release. The tool will allow customers to renew ConnectedDrive, manage their account details and perform password resets.
Excellent! Any chance to disclose your relation to BMW Canada as a creditable source? Or there is some NDA?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
canadian33, thanks for the update!

Btw, does Google Maps send to car still work? It's stoped working for me some time ago...
      05-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #15
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Google Maps send is still available. Your need to have an active ConnectedDrive account with remote service.

To send a destination you also need a google account. You can use google maps to find a destination and then select "send to your phone". A new window will appear and you will see car. You will need to set you car up and associate it to you google ID. To do this you need your ConnectedDrive user ID.

Once the car is setup you can select it and the destination will push to the vehicle and appear in the iDrive.

An easier option is to use the BMW Remote app. It allows you to search and push destination to the vehicle from within the app. Google send to car only works from a laptop or computer.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #16
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have been with BMW Canada for over 8 years and have had various roles and responsibilities within the Aftersales department.

First and foremost I am an enthusiast of the brand. I have always had a passion for the brand, hence the reason I joined the forums.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #17
F32-435i
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Google Maps send is still available. Your need to have an active ConnectedDrive account with remote service.

To send a destination you also need a google account. You can use google maps to find a destination and then select "send to your phone". A new window will appear and you will see car. You will need to set you car up and associate it to you google ID. To do this you need your ConnectedDrive user ID.

Once the car is setup you can select it and the destination will push to the vehicle and appear in the iDrive.

An easier option is to use the BMW Remote app. It allows you to search and push destination to the vehicle from within the app. Google send to car only works from a laptop or computer.
Hey canadian33

I have installed the BMW Remote app, was able to login using the default ConnectedDrive password (which we are not able to change) and pull my vehicle ID VIN. However when using the Maps option I can search for destination but there is no option to send to car or push to vehicle. Am I missing something? or is my subscription to ConnectedDrive have expired?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #18
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

When you search for a destination in the maps section of the Remote App, you will see pins on the map that correspond to the results. If you click on a pin it will pop up with the name and a blue arrow. Clicking on this will take you to a different screen where "send to vehicle" is displayed. This will send that location to your car.

Also, you can change your ConnectedDrive password. You need to send an email to remoteapp.password@bmwgroup.ca and include your VIN, current ConnectedDrive username and the new password that you want.

This is only until the new online tool is implemented.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #19
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Yep, that was working. Now don't. No settings were changed. And I believe my ConnectedDrive subscription is still active - my car is less than a year in service.

BMW Remote app is another story - I forgot my password and cannot reset it. And BMW Assist people cannot help either.

So too sum up: I'm pretty disappointed with ConnectedDrive services, the way they work in Canada. Basically all you can do is to send a map destination to your car and flash your headlights. And even that is not working properly.

p.s. Oh! Another cool ConnectedDrive feature - service request to your dealer! Request sent - never received a call back.

So I'm glad BMW Canada now finally going to launch ConnectedDrive properly! So if you need any feedback, opinion or whatever from a regular customer - I'm always ready to help!

Last edited by TheUltimateDrivingManiac; 05-10-2017 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #20
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You need to send an email to remoteapp.password@bmwgroup.ca and include your VIN, current ConnectedDrive username and the new password that you want.
So I guess these guys can help me with password reset? Anyway, e-mail already sent!
      05-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #21
F32-435i
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i M-Sport

Quote:
When you search for a destination in the maps section of the Remote App, you will see pins on the map that correspond to the results. If you click on a pin it will pop up with the name and a blue arrow. Clicking on this will take you to a different screen where "send to vehicle" is displayed. This will send that location to your car.

Also, you can change your ConnectedDrive password. You need to send an email to remoteapp.password@bmwgroup.ca and include your VIN, current ConnectedDrive username and the new password that you want.

This is only until the new online tool is implemented.
Thanks. Yes, I do see the Pin and the blue Arrow you are referring to, selecting this take me to the Information with the destination address: But no option for "send to vehicle" is available.

I did submit a password change request to remoteapp.password@bmwgroup.ca as well hoping it had to do something with my profile.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #22
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, if you want you can PM me the last 7 of your VIN and I can look the account up.
Appreciate 0