F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Next-Gen iDrive introduced at CES
GetBMWParts

01-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Next-Gen iDrive introduced at CES

http://www.cnet.com/news/bmw-finally...sture-control/

I'm sorry, but this is the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. Touch screens are NOT an appropriate interface for driving; gestures are even worse. Tactile based feedback is the best way of interacting with lots of information while being able to keep most of your attention/field of view on the road. Touch screens require you to take your eyes off the road, while gestures take your hands off the steering wheel, while also requiring you to look at the screen because that tactile feedback is taken away.

iDrive was the BEST compromise in terms of UI and HCI, and they are slowly taking that away. Makes no sense to me.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
The future is likely going to be all touchscreen but I don't think we'll see BMW completely ditch the iDrive knob anytime soon - at the very least, they'll have both the knob and touchscreen inputs.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

The idrive controller isnt going anywhere. They are just adding more options to keep bmw at the front of the battle. Ive given rides to ford nerds who wrinkle their nose in my 08 550i asking why the nav isnt touch screen, their whatever has a touchscreen. Then i always have to explain the superiority of the controller for hand movement, not having to look at the buttons im pushing, and avoiding their fingerprints, but they dont care because they like touchscreens.

Now you will be able to buy a bmw and control it how it was meant to be used (controller), or the kids can have their touchscreens, or you can wave your hands in the air and the magic robots will read your mind.

You may not care about it but it will bring a lot of extra flexibility to a lot of people, and the power to choose is important.
Appreciate 0